Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Nine years ago, I bought a used parrot cage from a local woman, and we started chatting via email.
We chatted almost completely about birds, and I mentioned to her that I had seen a Hawk-head for the first time at a pet store, and would love to have one but would never pay the $5000 they were asking for him.

She wrote back and asked if I was serious about wanting a HH, and of course I said yes, they are amazing.
Well, she had a friend in Ontario who was a breeder, and she was having to get rid of all her birds because she has COPD and could not take care of them anymore.
She was having issues finding anyone to take them because they were all older.
My friend called the woman, who was thrilled to have Darwin come to a new home. She was $1650 including her flight here and was worth every single penny.

Once she got here, we could see that she wasn't in good shape. She desperately needed a bath and was terrified of everything. We also realized she was 5 years older than we had been told, she was 23 instead of 18. That hurt my heart knowing that was 5 years less that we would have with her.
This was her first night home.

dar7.jpg

Within a few days though and a few baths she was beautiful, and was coming out of her shell.
She had never been held and was pretty wild. We worked slowly with her, and I do mean slowly. It took 2 years for her to step up, and it has taken me 8 years to be able to give her scritches and touch her beak.

She has the sweetest voice there is, and she says "Darwin", "Hello", "suey" and now "Mama".
Her voice may be sweet when she speaks, but the screams are something else. She has one really shrill scream, and the others almost sound like a roar.
Her laugh is hysterical, and she has a great sense of humour. She was watching Charley eating a treat, and when he dropped it she laughed so hard. She laughs at me every time I drop something too, and it gets everyone laughing in the bird room.

We love her so much, and are hoping for many more years with her.

Our beautiful girl now:)

dar5.jpg

dar3.jpg

dar1.jpg

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I just love that she's saying Mama now!

I am always in complete awe of how beautiful Haek-Heads are - the coloring on her front! Wow 😍
They truly are spectacular to see, and I am so happy that we have Dar. I am thrilled she is saying Mama, she sure showed my other birds what's what!

Beautiful story Terry! Love the HH's, Darwin and Nike are real stars here.
Thank you so much, Al! Although I would have to say that they all are stars in their own way:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
DARWINNNNNNNN!!!
I love her, she's such a pretty girl! She reminds me a lot of Picasso in terms of facial expressions.
Darwin is such a looker! Thanks for sharing her story!
Wow! What a striking bird! Congratulations; I’m glad this happened for all of you.
Awww, Darwin and I thank you all for your lovely comments! She is feeling quite proud of herself today:)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Awww, Darwin and I thank you all for your lovely comments! She is feeling quite proud of herself today:)
This site will explode if you do not post more Darwin pics, in 10...9...8...7...

This message was brought to you by OLLIEBOT

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Nine years ago, I bought a used parrot cage from a local woman, and we started chatting via email.
We chatted almost completely about birds, and I mentioned to her that I had seen a Hawk-head for the first time at a pet store, and would love to have one but would never pay the $5000 they were asking for him.

She wrote back and asked if I was serious about wanting a HH, and of course I said yes, they are amazing.
Well, she had a friend in Ontario who was a breeder, and she was having to get rid of all her birds because she has COPD and could not take care of them anymore.
She was having issues finding anyone to take them because they were all older.
My friend called the woman, who was thrilled to have Darwin come to a new home. She was $1650 including her flight here and was worth every single penny.

Once she got here, we could see that she wasn't in good shape. She desperately needed a bath and was terrified of everything. We also realized she was 5 years older than we had been told, she was 23 instead of 18. That hurt my heart knowing that was 5 years less that we would have with her.
This was her first night home.

View attachment 40929

Within a few days though and a few baths she was beautiful, and was coming out of her shell.
She had never been held and was pretty wild. We worked slowly with her, and I do mean slowly. It took 2 years for her to step up, and it has taken me 8 years to be able to give her scritches and touch her beak.

She has the sweetest voice there is, and she says "Darwin", "Hello", "suey" and now "Mama".
Her voice may be sweet when she speaks, but the screams are something else. She has one really shrill scream, and the others almost sound like a roar.
Her laugh is hysterical, and she has a great sense of humour. She was watching Charley eating a treat, and when he dropped it she laughed so hard. She laughs at me every time I drop something too, and it gets everyone laughing in the bird room.

We love her so much, and are hoping for many more years with her.

Our beautiful girl now:)

View attachment 40927

View attachment 40932

View attachment 40933
Such a beautiful birdie!

Sad to hear her owner had COPD, but at least Darwin has an amazing Mama now:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Terry I beg to differ with you. Darwin may indeed be older than you were first told, but I am pretty sure that she has had many years added to her life because of the love and care that she gets from you and Reg, and I know they'll be very happy years for her too.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Such a beautiful birdie!

Sad to hear her owner had COPD, but at least Darwin has an amazing Mama now:)
Yes, she had so many birds, too, mostly cockatoos. She was finally able to find someone to take them before she passed. It was very sad.

Terry I beg to differ with you. Darwin may indeed be older than you were first told, but I am pretty sure that she has had many years added to her life because of the love and care that she gets from you and Reg, and I know they'll be very happy years for her too.
Oh Hunny, you are so sweet. I pray that is true and that we have many more years with her:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Darwin truly has a sense of humour. She has always moved with a really fast jerky move, and it used to make me jump every time. I finally got used to it, and was giving her head scritches and she was watching me when all of a sudden she jerked her head sideways, and then I jumped and slammed my fingers into the cage bars and she laughed so loud and so hard. I have no doubt that she meant to make me jump because it was amusing.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Rotten bird.

My Lucy used to laugh at me if I dropped something. Or swear. Wonder where she got that?
LOL, that sounds just like Darwin. These birds can have a warped sense of humour, can't they? I know Darwin got it from me, I always laugh when something gets dropped, especially when someone else does it:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts