The strange and sweet story of Jellobird Biafra

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Starting back in April of 2022, my beloved RC Amazon parrot Bonita passed away at teh age of 72. I had had her my whole life, my grandma had her since before she had even had my father. Bonita was an evil old hag, but nonetheless a member of the family. While she passed in my arms at 8:42AM that morning, the last thing I told her was that I would be okay once she was gone. I told her she had to bring me another birdy friend because she opened me up during my childhood to the wonderful world of birds. She passed from organ failure and she took a piece of me with her. It was the worst depression I had ever been through. My beloved bird, who I shared all my memories with, who moved out to college with me and was there for everything, was gone. I didn't get out of bed for a few weeks and cried every morning and night. I slept with her cage cover and tried to remember all the happy memories we had together before the organ failure set in. She lived a long, beautiful life in the same family since she was hatched, which is a privilege not many birds get.
About 5 months after she died, the pet store I worked at told me that for the first time in a long while, we got a Green Cheeked Conure. I ran to the new arrivals room and saw him. I checked his paperwork- he was hatched 2 days after Bonita passed. Not even that, he was the same color as her. That bright amazon green. I was shocked, I'd never see a GCC so bright, and usually the animals we get in are pretty scared at first. Not this guy. He jumped right into my hands and cuddled up against my neck. My coworkers didn't believe me, they said this very bird attacked them violently with the bloody fingers to prove it.
He was moved onto the sales floor and screamed for me constantly. He bit and hated everyone except for me. Bonita was this same way. I told myself that maybe Bonita sent him to me, but to also not be too quick to buy a $900 bird. I told myself if he could 'prove' he was for me, I'd take the plunge.
After Bonita passed I got her foot prints tattooed on my shoulder. Jello walked right up to my shoulder, positioned his feet perfectly into the tattoo (which hurt, long nails) and gave me a big ol 'MWAH' on my cheek. Bonita barely spoke but 'mwah' was in her vocabulary and a cheek kiss was somehing she loved to do. I knew it.
After a whole lot of money... and a week without groceries... I brought him home.

THE END! FOR NOW!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
How amazing!

Iā€™m sorry for your loss but glad for you that youā€™ve found a wonderful new bird friend.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
What a life you and your family gave to Bonita.
You should be so proud of that.
So sorry for your loss and grateful you found a new friend (amongst your many other feathered friends)

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
ā€œBonita was an evil old hag, but nonetheless a member of the familyā€

Funny how that works, isnā€™t it?
she was notorious for going OUT OF HER WAY to hunt down and attack 1.) my uncle 2.) my dad 3.) my grandpa. she only liked me and my grandma but could recognize my dad from outside with his back turned. she was hatched when my dad was young, and he swears up and down he never did anything to her to insight this type of violence. the mangled fingers, random beak shaped scars speak for themselves. when she moved in w me and my bf, she made it her mission to make sure my bf knew just how much she hated him. her favorite thing to do was rocket launch bowls at him and scream into them making god awful echos. oh how i miss those banshee screams!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Lucy Quaker despised my ex-husband, too. My sisterā€™s macaw only met me twice but hated me the second time; I think I was competition for my sisterā€™s time. The macaw screamed deafeningly until I left.

Both your dad and grandpa occupied your grandmas time and yours. Sounds like a good reason for a parrot to decide to hate them.

If you or your grandma kissed your dad goodnight thatā€™s one more kiss Bonita didnā€™t get, right? Maybe. šŸ˜…

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
My Lucy Quaker despised my ex-husband, too. My sisterā€™s macaw only met me twice but hated me the second time; I think I was competition for my sisterā€™s time. The macaw screamed deafeningly until I left.

Both your dad and grandpa occupied your grandmas time and yours. Sounds like a good reason for a parrot to decide to hate them.

If you or your grandma kissed your dad goodnight thatā€™s one more kiss Bonita didnā€™t get, right? Maybe. šŸ˜…
oh definitely! and to make it even weirder- when my grandparents would go on cruises and vacations, my dad would care for bonita. mind u, if she was in the vicinity of my grandma he couldnt get closer than maybe a foot. so when he would be the only person there, she would step up and sing and allow scritches and everything! but the moment grandma came home it was a doozey

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It always seemed like a weird love triangle with someone who had a drama issue.

Most Reactions

Latest posts