The True Nature of Parrots

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
https://www.avianwelfare.org/issues/articles/truenature.htm

A lot of people run into issues with their parrots especially as they mature. I know this seems negative, and it isn't my goal. This is just a really good article to read. I at times do forget that my 2 parrots aren't 100% tame, and never will be.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The serious problem of a catch-all article is that they really never do much more that gloss-over concerns and issues and this article is a perfect example of glossing-over.

Yes, they did define a couple of issues regarding Parrot care and with hope the right person reads the article and elects not to get a Parrot.

FYI: There are zero Rain Forests in South America! Those thick vegetated, rainy areas are call jungles and are warm to hot year around. It snows in Rainforests!

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
The serious problem of a catch-all article is that they really never do much more that gloss-over concerns and issues and this article is a perfect example of glossing-over.

Yes, they did define a couple of issues regarding Parrot care and with hope the right person reads the article and elects not to get a Parrot.

FYI: There are zero Rain Forests in South America! Those thick vegetated, rainy areas are call jungles and are warm to hot year around. It snows in Rainforests!
I do agree that this was about talking someone out of getting a parrot instead of educating about parrots. There was nothing in here positive about parrot ownership.

I will fully admit I am not the most educated person on where my parrots come from. I've been trying to find gum trees for my ekkie to chew on, and some things from his homeland with no luck.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If an article like this causes one person who really isn't ready for a bird to change their mind about getting one, it is worth posting. Thank you, kme3388 for posting it.

@SailBoat , I'm confused because Brittanica says there are rainforests in South America.
https://www.britannica.com/place/South-America/Tropical-and-subtropical-rainforests

Did I find an old article that no longer applies?

I find it difficult to believe that you are confused. You simply found a new world article that has added a new Word front of an old Word. But as you recall, that Word was added in an attempt to halt the rapid destruction of the beautiful Jungles of South America. Sadly, that failed as it only increased the rate of clear cutting the Jungles because everyone knows that clear-cutting Rainforests is easy. So, today, the Jungles of South America are being cut-down at ever increasing rates. And, at the same time, well meaning Parrot owners are taking their beloved Parrots to the real Rainforests and releasing them into that wonderful safe place for Parrots. Sometimes, New World Beliefs Fail.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I find it difficult to believe that you are confused. You simply found a new world article that has added a new Word front of an old Word. But as you recall, that Word was added in an attempt to halt the rapid destruction of the beautiful Jungles of South America. Sadly, that failed as it only increased the rate of clear cutting the Jungles because everyone knows that clear-cutting Rainforests is easy. So, today, the Jungles of South America are being cut-down at ever increasing rates. And, at the same time, well meaning Parrot owners are taking their beloved Parrots to the real Rainforests and releasing them into that wonderful safe place for Parrots. Sometimes, New World Beliefs Fail.
I'm confused because you said that there are no rainforests in South America, yet every link I looked at said that there are.
A new world article? From Britannica? Are you saying the article I found isn't true that there are rainforests in South America?
Can you cite your sources for this statement so I can understand?
FYI: There are zero Rain Forests in South America!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm confused because you said that there are no rainforests in South America, yet every link I looked at said that there are.
A new world article? From Britannica? Are you saying the article I found isn't true that there are rainforests in South America?
Can you cite your sources for this statement so I can understand?

Interesting! But not bitting! Change time lines!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Interesting! But not bitting! Change time lines!
I am completely lost now as to what you're saying. What?

I'm just asking for you to cite your source, as I did. That should be easy.

Last edited:
OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I may be incompetent here but isn't the word rainforest interchangeable with the word jungle?

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Are we comparing tropical rainforest to a temperate? It is just tempature, and a moisture difference

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I may be incompetent here but isn't the word rainforest interchangeable with the word jungle?
I am most certainly not an authority on these things, but I've been fortunate enough to have visited the magnificent Daintree rainforest here in Queensland on many occasions. To my understanding, the word "jungle" is used to define dense, thick forests that are found primarily in tropical or equatorial regions, and in that case would include rainforests. Rainforests can and do, however, spread much further than the tropics, for example the Tarkine rainforest in Tasmania, which is MUCH further south than one would normally expect to find one, and it is defined as a "cool-temperate rainforest".

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Not wanting to restart any arguments: I get medical rides to some of my appointments and one company has a lot of young drivers from Cambodia, Viet Nam, etc. They are often happy to find someone who wants to talk to them and has a lot of ideas. And I am happy to talk with someone who’s lived in a place I will likely never go.

My family lives in northern Wisconsin. There are two main, big national forests in Wisconsin and they live right on the edges of both. I told my last driver about this. My folks live a bit north of the Menominee reservation, which is one of the greenest places on the planet.

One driver kept referring to these forests as “the rainforest” which tickled me. Then again, those northern forests ARE very dense and probably call to mind the jungle, as opposed to the (sucky) prairies of southern Wi, MN, Iowa.

I have forest starvation living here in the city. It’s sure nice not to need to drive 25 min to get groceries or 1 1/2 hrs to the doctor, but it’s hard to deal with all the people. There are more people living in my apartment building than in the village I lived near.

My family members thought it was cool that they now live in “the rainforest”!

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
A map of rainforests:
1659288702904.png

dark green - tropical rainforest
light green - temperate rainforest

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I know we don’t REALLY have any rainforests in the Midwest US but it was cute to hear that young man (who lived in a country that had rainforests) be so excited and happy to hear about the wild areas there.

I had always understood that South America does have rainforests. But people need to understand that South America is huge and has all sorts of climates. Close to the equator it is tropical. But in the mountains or way south it is not tropical. There are grasslands, cool climates, mountain climates, maritime, etc.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I agree that parts of northern WI feel like real forest! I miss the forest and mountains every day and it's nice having someplace close that is similar in how it "feels" - I love that your driver thought so too!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It IS real forest! I am talking about the areas close to the upper peninsula of Michigan, some of which have still not been cut.

It was nice to live in a beautiful place where scientists come to study animals and tourists come to vacation, but also it is far away from many resources, education, hospitals…. And the roads are terrible.

Southern WI is a different climate and lifestyle.

Most Reactions