They always want to be on my head

Lunalane

Aug 10, 2022
Parrots
Macaws
Hi Everyone ๐Ÿ‘‹
I'm new here. I just found this site and thought I would join and see if someone could be give me some advice.
I currently have 2 Blue and Gold Macaws ๐Ÿ’™ they are both almost 6 months old. Everything is going pretty great to be honest. They both step up, give kisses, fly to me and fly back to perch when asked. They are both affectionate.
I just have one problem at the moment and I don't know what to do about it.
They both always want to be on my head! Now this wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that I have long hair and they are forever getting tangled up in it.
I try to stop them from climbing up onto my head when they are on my arm or shoulders but with the 2 of them it's hard to stop them both at the same time.
I then have to get 1 to step down while I untangle the others feet from my hair.
This happens wether my hair is out or tied up.
It wouldn't bother me so much if it was happening just now and then but it's all the time.
I tell them no and remove them from my head but back up again they go.
Ive eben tried wearing hats to discouraged this but nothings seems to work.
I'm hoping this is just a stage they will grow out of.
Has anyone else experienced this and maybe has some tips on how to make it stop?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your head is the natural, highest place on you, so...
Rewards, good things and kind words happen when on your shoulder and the head shakes and moves when they attempt to climb-up!

See if that helps!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have tried to solve a similar problem by putting my hair in a single braid. Willow uses that like a rope to climb right up my head. But it seems less tangly than loose hair.

OP
L

Lunalane

Aug 10, 2022
Parrots
Macaws
Your head is the natural, highest place on you, so...
Rewards, good things and kind words happen when on your shoulder and the head shakes and moves when they attempt to climb-up!

See if that helps!
Thank you for your reply ๐Ÿ˜Š
I will give your advice a go

OP
L

Lunalane

Aug 10, 2022
Parrots
Macaws
I have tried to solve a similar problem by putting my hair in a single braid. Willow uses that like a rope to climb right up my head. But it seems less tangly than loose hair.
Thank you for your reply. Will give it a go thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š

Most Reactions

Latest posts