Things are a more settled... but Birdie is screaming so much more 😬

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I thought I'd edit this.
Birdie has screamed today for 3 hours.
I had surgery and had to lay down. He did not stop and is still going.
I was gone 1 night. Should have been longer. But i knew he'd hate it.
My daughter stayed. He wanted to bite her a lot.
He was happy when he saw me. Ate his diinner no noise. I am slow walking and in huge pain. And the noise is totally getting to me. I can't stand it ... I'll go mad soon. Its quiet I made no noise when I lay down. But all the ignoring ... toys ... food .. leaving the tv on ...
does not stop this screaming.
I'm in tears. It's so repetitive and loud. The neighbours will be furious if they arent already.
I dont think I can put up with this for years.

I have had issues with Birdie since he arrived.
Things have got better. He's not biting or attacking like he used to. He now defends me from the milk carton instead. 😂
But the screaming is draining me. It makes me angry. It just goes on and on.
It starts before I uncover him. He's dead quiet all night until I come in and say good morning. Off he goes.
He screams if I turn on water to fill his bowl. If I put a dish in the sink ... if I go to the balcony or another room.
We have a morning routine and it worked fine.
But now he's started screaming he doesn't want routine. He wants his breakfast right now.
He wants out right now.
And if I'm cooking or washing He can't get out. For a short time the ignoring worked. But then he began screaming so much more.
I lose it sometimes and tell him to stop it. Even to shut up if I'm really fed up.
Today I was on the balcony. I wanted to pot some plants.
He can see me clearly. I try talking to him. He just screams. Its very risky if I leave him out if I'm not here. He could get out the balcony door when I come in. He also chews everything and take the opportunity to go places he's not allowed.
I gave up on the plants ... he still has not stopped screaming. I thought gcc were a bit quieter 😳
I got his cover over him. He is quiet quickly if I do that. I do it when the desperation hits.I have
Then I hear him. Stop it .... don't scream... wanna scratch... from under the covers.
I uncover and he screams ....
I read that screaming can become much worse before it gets better. It goes right through my head. And if I had a visitor he would not scream. No he screams non stop.
He has toys he plays with. He loves them ... hangs upside down ... pulls all the forage paper out. He likes his bath...
He sits on my shoulder and has a nap. Is talking a lot.
I've tried training.. but I'm not great at it and he just runs off or flies up onto the curtain so I can't get him.
I live in an apartment... when I came home from shopping I could hear him. Especially in the hall. It's probably not so loud in the neighbours place. But I don't want complaints.
I don't understand what caused it all to become more prolonged and louder 🥴
I didn't think it possible 😂

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I have had issues with Birdie since he arrived.
Things have got better. He's not biting or attacking like he used to. He now defends me from the milk carton instead. 😂
But the screaming is draining me. It makes me angry. It just goes on and on.
It starts before I uncover him. He's dead quiet all night until I come in and say good morning. Off he goes.
He screams if I turn on water to fill his bowl. If I put a dish in the sink ... if I go to the balcony or another room.
We have a morning routine and it worked fine.
But now he's started screaming he doesn't want routine. He wants his breakfast right now.
He wants out right now.
And if I'm cooking or washing He can't get out. For a short time the ignoring worked. But then he began screaming so much more.
I lose it sometimes and tell him to stop it. Even to shut up if I'm really fed up.
Today I was on the balcony. I wanted to pot some plants.
He can see me clearly. I try talking to him. He just screams. Its very risky if I leave him out if I'm not here. He could get out the balcony door when I come in. He also chews everything and take the opportunity to go places he's not allowed.
I gave up on the plants ... he still has not stopped screaming. I thought gcc were a bit quieter 😳
I got his cover over him. He is quiet quickly if I do that. I do it when the desperation hits.I have
Then I hear him. Stop it .... don't scream... wanna scratch... from under the covers.
I uncover and he screams ....
I read that screaming can become much worse before it gets better. It goes right through my head. And if I had a visitor he would not scream. No he screams non stop.
He has toys he plays with. He loves them ... hangs upside down ... pulls all the forage paper out. He likes his bath...
He sits on my shoulder and has a nap. Is talking a lot.
I've tried training.. but I'm not great at it and he just runs off or flies up onto the curtain so I can't get him.
I live in an apartment... when I came home from shopping I could hear him. Especially in the hall. It's probably not so loud in the neighbours place. But I don't want complaints.
I don't understand what caused it all to become more prolonged and louder 🥴
I didn't think it possible 😂
How old is he? He could be becoming sexually mature which can cause more screaming, biting etc.
When you respond to his screaming by talking back he probably just thinks you're responding or validating his concern.
It's great that he plays with toys and has toys he like, have you tried hiding food in his toys? Seed or his favorite treats?
Covering the cage is only a very temporary fix and in some cases may make the problem worse.
You said you tried training, have you tried target training? It's very easy for a bird to master, there's lots of good videos on it, youtubers like BirdTricks, SophietheBirdNerd, and ElleandtheBirds demonstrate targeting and trick training well.
Hope this helps to a degree, screaming can be tough to deal with, especially when you can't quite pinpoint why your bird is doing so

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
How old is he? He could be becoming sexually mature which can cause more screaming, biting etc.
When you respond to his screaming by talking back he probably just thinks you're responding or validating his concern.
It's great that he plays with toys and has toys he like, have you tried hiding food in his toys? Seed or his favorite treats?
Covering the cage is only a very temporary fix and in some cases may make the problem worse.
You said you tried training, have you tried target training? It's very easy for a bird to master, there's lots of good videos on it, youtubers like BirdTricks, SophietheBirdNerd, and ElleandtheBirds demonstrate targeting and trick training well.
Hope this helps to a degree, screaming can be tough to deal with, especially when you can't quite pinpoint why your bird is doing so
No idea how old. He's an escapee that was never claimed.
He did have a yeast and bacterial infection. Vet treated and both are gone. I was thinking that's why he screamed so much. It has become much worse.
He also was grooming so much I was worried. He was clearly uncomfortable. Him having a bath really helped. He had one daily. Even though its been cold.
His feathers look much better but still has tons of pin feathers popping up.
I'll keep working on the training.
He's out now ... he eats his chop. He doesn't like it in his cage. He'll go back in the cage and play with his toys with no issue. He loves looking at the lorikeets out on the balcony. And he sits on me talking away. Giving me kisses. I mean he can be very sweet. Then it's like a personality change 😂
Close that door and off he goes.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yelling at a screaming parrot is just adding fuel to the fire, seriously. When my 'zon Salty goes on a screaming jag, we whisper at him, The stark difference lets him re-set his volume. Distraction is one way to calm a screaming parrot - with a toy ( NOT a TREAT!), or others. You may want to consider a light wing trim while he is in this phase; if he is flying and avoiding you to return him to a cage, chasing him is not helping things. Above all patience is needed, as some of our other members w/GCC's can attest. Patience and strict regularity; you need to act the same way every time he screams if you want to change behavior.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
We whisper at Pancho too when he starts screaming. Works wonders!
Unless we are outside and he can see us. Nothing stops that. He just has to scream it out until we come in. No biggie though...We can barely hear him, and I figure it's good for his lungs.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Yelling at a screaming parrot is just adding fuel to the fire, seriously. When my 'zon Salty goes on a screaming jag, we whisper at him, The stark difference lets him re-set his volume. Distraction is one way to calm a screaming parrot - with a toy ( NOT a TREAT!), or others. You may want to consider a light wing trim while he is in this phase; if he is flying and avoiding you to return him to a cage, chasing him is not helping things. Above all patience is needed, as some of our other members w/GCC's can attest. Patience and strict regularity; you need to act the same way every time he screams if you want to change behavior.
I don't yell at him ... I more mutter at him because I'm losing my patience.
There is only me. Apart from days I have to go out. Each day is the same routine.
It was getting better.
I have some operations that will come up very soon.
I was hopeful with him starting to get calm ... he wouldn't be too much for my daughter. But its not looking good. I'll just prepare her. He will not be happy as he will have to stay more in his cage. She won't be able to get him back In his cage if she let's him out.
I don't chase him ... I just sit down and he comes to me.
I'll try the whispering.
I don't offer treats ... he's lucky to get a treat during the day.
At night we have bedtime routine. So he gets a few seeds when he is going to bed.
I say go to bed ?
And he comes running.

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
My Amazon went through a major screaming phase. It took great patience - and consistency - on my part before we got through it. I thought I'd lose my mind before he figured out it just doesn't work the way he thought it would.

Try looking objectively at your actions: could you be reinforcing the screaming somehow? What is he getting out of it that might be rewarding to him, even if it's a negative response. Is it attention? Sound? A certain behavior on your part? What could he be getting out of it?

Keep addressing his itching. The pins cause a lot of grooming on their part: if there's any other topical problems, it could be making your bird even more uncomfortable. You said you've given him a bath and he loved it. Keep giving them regularly!

Remember, reward the positive no matter how small. IGNORE the negative, even if it means leaving the room/apartment until he calms down.

Random thoughts:

• Does your Parrot have any social interactions other than you? This can include parrots on YouTube. Consider playing nature/bird feeder/sanctuary channels.
• Birds have a 'dawn chorus' so this might be why he's so loud first thing in the morning. He just might be sounding off out of sheer happiness.
• A thought about covering his cage: is he getting enough sleep time at night? Our companion parrots tend to be sleep deprived.
• Does he need mental stimulation? How about foraging toys for treats that require strategizing.

That's all I've got to add. Hope the collective wisdom of this group helps you help him!

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
My Amazon went through a major screaming phase. It took great patience - and consistency - on my part before we got through it. I thought I'd lose my mind before he figured out it just doesn't work the way he thought it would.

Try looking objectively at your actions: could you be reinforcing the screaming somehow? What is he getting out of it that might be rewarding to him, even if it's a negative response. Is it attention? Sound? A certain behavior on your part? What could he be getting out of it?

Keep addressing his itching. The pins cause a lot of grooming on their part: if there's any other topical problems, it could be making your bird even more uncomfortable. You said you've given him a bath and he loved it. Keep giving them regularly!

Remember, reward the positive no matter how small. IGNORE the negative, even if it means leaving the room/apartment until he calms down.

Random thoughts:

• Does your Parrot have any social interactions other than you? This can include parrots on YouTube. Consider playing nature/bird feeder/sanctuary channels.
• Birds have a 'dawn chorus' so this might be why he's so loud first thing in the morning. He just might be sounding off out of sheer happiness.
• A thought about covering his cage: is he getting enough sleep time at night? Our companion parrots tend to be sleep deprived.
• Does he need mental stimulation? How about foraging toys for treats that require strategizing.

That's all I've got to add. Hope the collective wisdom of this group helps you help him!
He screams while watching me intently. He wants a reaction ... I do understand it. But today I touched the balcony door. I didn't even go out and he started.
Now if I can I'm walking out but hes still screaming because I've left the room. It just really gets into my head. He wants me all the time. If I sit in the chair and ignore him ... he's mostly quiet. He can see me .. I'm not doing anything he doesn't like.
But in reality I can't let him run the house. Or me.
I need to be able to go out on the balcony and water my plants. Or go out to the laundry.
I basically ignore him. But its made no difference.
He has a bath nearly every day. Some days he's not interested. I leave it to him.
His feathers are a lot better. The pins are mostly on his head now.
Hes covered for 11 to 12 hours. He also ones and sits on me for a nap during the day.
He loves his toys ... he's hanging off them making sure I'm looking ...
I guess I'm waiting for him to get the idea that screaming isn't the way. But I think its never going to happen.
And he does know to a certain extent ... because if I've covered him or walked out. I hear him....
Don't scream... stop it....
And I say that when he's on my shoulder and screams in my ear. Its deafening. He mimics one of our local lorikeets... they're very loud. I don't even know what a true conure call sounds like.
I think I'm going OK and I'll cope .... then it starts dragging me down again.
I can't believe I'm letting a bird get to me. But he's hard work at the moment.
I should add he's either really scared or gets aggressive if he hears or sees parrots online. Especially ones that talk. I avoid showing him now. If he hears them he comes right up and tries to bite me. And says no no no no ...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I know I am weighing in late but I’m wondering if your surgery was upsetting to your bird and he’s afraid he’s being left?

I’ve had birds get upset when I was getting ready to move or when I was gone for some reason. It doesn’t make sense but greencheeks are high energy little birds that can get anxious.

I would talk quietly to him when he calls to reassure him that you are still there and MAYBE if it helps to calm him down, cover him for a bit when he’s really screeching.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I know I am weighing in late but I’m wondering if your surgery was upsetting to your bird and he’s afraid he’s being left?

I’ve had birds get upset when I was getting ready to move or when I was gone for some reason. It doesn’t make sense but greencheeks are high energy little birds that can get anxious.

I would talk quietly to him when he calls to reassure him that you are still there and MAYBE if it helps to calm him down, cover him for a bit when he’s really screeching.
I decided I either have to put up with it. Or rehome him.
Its hard to believe but the screaming is way worse.
He doesn't stop... I don't see why he isn't exhausted.
But I am not at the point that I wouldn't miss him.
He wants to run things his way and I can't always do what he wants. He has no idea of danger. He just wants to jump in.
I tried talking to him ... from every room in the place. He screams louder when he hears me.
I've stopped looking at him .. any sort of response at all has stopped.
He is just so loud. It gets into my head after a while.
He doesn't scream when my daughter comes. She stayed overnight with him. I made sure I was home the next day. Because I'm the person he's with daily.
I've tried whispering to him ... he screams.
I think nothing is going to stop him... until he stops himself.

wlara5705

Oct 28, 2021
Parrots
Jewel-green cheek Conure
Hi I sometimes have a similar issue with my dusky Conure, Dino. Once he gets going there are only a few things that help calm him down. The absolute best way is with redirection, I will start playing peekaboo with him, I usually hide behind the couch and pop up saying “peekaboo” in a calm pleasant tone, I’m careful not to shout or be too dramatic in my approach. My goal is to get him to turn it down a few notches, if I were to be too animated or overly enthusiastic he eagerly continue ms to shout out of excitement. Also I adjust my expectations, the chances of him going from 1000% to zero, in a matter of seconds isn’t very likely. It takes time for him to calm down.
You mentioned he was a rescued escapee, I’m wondering if he might have been bonded to another parrot ? Or what he’s going through not being around his previous flock. If either of my parrots was suddenly separated from each other, myself and my SO they would certainly be stressed out to say the least. I don’t know how long it would take for them to completely adjust and move on with someone new.
Wanting to always be near you is totally normal, it may not be feasible but it’s to be expected especially with GCConures. There usually such snuggles bugs.
How long have you had him?
Also I get it when you say he’s trying to run the house, Jewel my GCC is the sweetest most affectionate girl in the world, but she can be quite bossy at times too lol. I’ve realized that if I cater to her every whim she runs with it and before I know it I’m tiptoeing around trying not to upset her. I found that when I just do what I need to do without glancing at her every 5 minutes to gauge her reaction she actually becomes the sweetest most well behaved girl.
She either tries getting my attention by doing a handful of tricks I’ve taught her, or by just being her cute silly self. Or She’ll Quietly sit on my shoulder allowing me to handle my business. she even chills out while I work on my laptop or handle a few calls or messages on my smartphone ( her arch nemesis, she dislikes nothing more than these two). I make sure to talk to her or give her a kiss every 15 minutes or so. Most importantly I make sure to praise her for her good behavior.

Have you tried target training?
It has hands down been the best way for my feather babies to trade screaming like little banshees for successfully communicating with me on multiple levels. By training my parrots I arm them with what I like to call their tool box. These wpositive behaviors they can display when they’re trying to get my attention or want to interact with me. The more I work with them the more likely they will behave in a way that will be received positively while giving them a sense of confidence in their abilities and a feeling of belonging when I tell them they’re a good girl and good boy.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Hi I sometimes have a similar issue with my dusky Conure, Dino. Once he gets going there are only a few things that help calm him down. The absolute best way is with redirection, I will start playing peekaboo with him, I usually hide behind the couch and pop up saying “peekaboo” in a calm pleasant tone, I’m careful not to shout or be too dramatic in my approach. My goal is to get him to turn it down a few notches, if I were to be too animated or overly enthusiastic he eagerly continue ms to shout out of excitement. Also I adjust my expectations, the chances of him going from 1000% to zero, in a matter of seconds isn’t very likely. It takes time for him to calm down.
You mentioned he was a rescued escapee, I’m wondering if he might have been bonded to another parrot ? Or what he’s going through not being around his previous flock. If either of my parrots was suddenly separated from each other, myself and my SO they would certainly be stressed out to say the least. I don’t know how long it would take for them to completely adjust and move on with someone new.
Wanting to always be near you is totally normal, it may not be feasible but it’s to be expected especially with GCConures. There usually such snuggles bugs.
How long have you had him?
Also I get it when you say he’s trying to run the house, Jewel my GCC is the sweetest most affectionate girl in the world, but she can be quite bossy at times too lol. I’ve realized that if I cater to her every whim she runs with it and before I know it I’m tiptoeing around trying not to upset her. I found that when I just do what I need to do without glancing at her every 5 minutes to gauge her reaction she actually becomes the sweetest most well behaved girl.
She either tries getting my attention by doing a handful of tricks I’ve taught her, or by just being her cute silly self. Or She’ll Quietly sit on my shoulder allowing me to handle my business. she even chills out while I work on my laptop or handle a few calls or messages on my smartphone ( her arch nemesis, she dislikes nothing more than these two). I make sure to talk to her or give her a kiss every 15 minutes or so. Most importantly I make sure to praise her for her good behavior.

Have you tried target training?
It has hands down been the best way for my feather babies to trade screaming like little banshees for successfully communicating with me on multiple levels. By training my parrots I arm them with what I like to call their tool box. These wpositive behaviors they can display when they’re trying to get my attention or want to interact with me. The more I work with them the more likely they will behave in a way that will be received positively while giving them a sense of confidence in their abilities and a feeling of belonging when I tell them they’re a good girl and good boy.
Basically we've changed the routine. It used to work but suddenly doesn't.
I have a suspicion hormones are playing a part. He's quite cranky.
Hes still yelling and not just in the cage ... everywhere. Even on my shoulder.
I also realised I had been chasing a couple of pigeons trying to nest in my pot plant. I think he was getting upset about it. I never thought he'd even notice but he does. So that's changed too.
He isn't interested in training or foraging... I've been disappointed. He does have some toys he loves and some he totally ignores. So he will play. And he talks constantly... and blows kisses. He wants to talk on the phone if I am.... we're working on it.
Hes just got a new stand so once I attach fun stuff it will be a new distraction.. I hope.
I was also getting angry with him. The noise just was doing my head in. Just the fact he was probably picking up on that ... was not helping his mood.
So now its all a work in progress again.
I think the person who had him let him do anything. He had no fear. He wanted to land on and chew everything. Thought all food and drink was his.
He arrived on Jan 6. And hasn't left. I listed him on all the lost parrot pages. With rescues and vets. I talked to the local shops too. Not one enquiry. The guy at the bird shop told me they are one bird that people let go. They're hard work and people aren't prepared. He had a few he was trying to rehome. And there's always conures on the lost and found pets pages.
Hes lucky to land where I could get him. We have noisy miners and they attack all birds that are foreign or sick.
So he's still here. New cage and nearly died and vet bills galore....

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well there is always noise cancelling headsets, like you would use on a shooting range. :)
Hormone season certainly amps them up a lot. For that, there is only............ time. The mantra is "This too shall pass!".

Most Reactions