Things only parrot owners understand

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
IMG_1380.jpeg

Vets suggest covering parrots so they can get a full 12 hours of sleep uninterrupted. I understand the purpose to this. I leave a little of the bottom uncovered. Well… Kiwi the conure then plays peek-a-boo. This is a fun game to her. What can you do? Birds will be birds 😂

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
My budgies used to do this occasionally. They’d mainly just scream to get me up. Rico mainly screams to wake me up and for me to take off his cage cover, but some days he’s radio silent until I uncover that cage. He drops a duke and then starts to scream his head off.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
View attachment 50189
Vets suggest covering parrots so they can get a full 12 hours of sleep uninterrupted. I understand the purpose to this. I leave a little of the bottom uncovered. Well… Kiwi the conure then plays peek-a-boo. This is a fun game to her. What can you do? Birds will be birds 😂
Oh her little face, how utterly irresistible!!! 😍

Bedtime is THE WORST since Lovejoy the lorikeet joined our flock. Fang, Val and Jem all hop in their cages for a pre-bedtime snack and then quite happily go to bed, but not Lovejoy, oooohhhh no. He requires, nay demands about an hour's worth of scritching and snuggling with me before bedtime, at a time when HE determines by flying up to one of our light fittings and giving my husband a withering stare until he leaves the room. And as this takes place around sunset it also means I have to structure our dinner time around birdie snuggle time to suit His Royal Requirements. And then, when it's finally bedtime and I pop him in his cage and go to cover him I get THAT look from his big eyes that says "Mum, why are you caging me, I thought you loved meeeeeeeee!!!!" and some plaintive little squeaks from under the covers. Breaks my heart Every. Single. Time!!!! Non-parrot people will never understand ANY of this, thank goodness here I am among folks who do!!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
all of my flock we have a social contract. I will let them out during the day but they have to go to their locked up cages at night. They are all like "no to early"..... but they do it. I use a fitted sheet that goes around the cage but yeah we have a worked out routine. go to bed then you get all the bowls filled in the morning.

Most Reactions

Latest posts