Things to know before getting a cockatiel?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I am planning to get a cockatiel soon. I do know a fair amount of things about tiels, and their basic care/considerations but what are the lesser-known things about them that you wish you'd known when considering one?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Their contact call can be repetitive and rather annoying. But if your tiel will be living with your budgies, hopefully he or she will have less need to make that call.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Their contact call can be repetitive and rather annoying. But if your tiel will be living with your budgies, hopefully he or she will have less need to make that call.
The tiel would 100% live with the budgies. The noise isn't that huge of an issue, though!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
They can be a source of dust.
Cockatiels are very dusty compared to Budgies.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The tiel would 100% live with the budgies. The noise isn't that huge of an issue, though!
I think if the bird was with friends it likely wouldn’t make that call. Unless it really really likes you and wants you there.

Honestly, unless you have allergies or asthma, I think a cockatiel is a mild mannered little parrot that’s hard to criticize: beautiful and can be very friendly. My neighbor had a lovely white faced male who learned to whistle, do some tricks, and actually speak a few words.

Buddy was the nicest little guy and showed me what an investment of time and care can do with a small parrot. I hope the cockatiel you choose works out very well with your budgie flock and you.

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hmm, lets see...

Agree with above the contact call can be kinda irritating BUT only my two males do it, my female hardly ever makes a sound unless she can't see her mate Ryuk.
They don'y like big seeds, only my old cockatiel Romeo likes bigger seeds like sunflower and safflower, but the other two say BLEH!
They all seem to prefer to walk everywhere rather than fly.
They can def be dusty and don't bath in open water as often as the budgies, they prefer being misted (at least mine do!)
They destroy really quickly lol.

Hope this helps 😊

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I noticed my male cockatiel being much more β€œimitatively social” than my previous budgies. Like eating if I at, sleeping when I slept. Also the beady guilt trip eye if I covered him up because he was loud. (He would find the one space not covered by a towel and stare out sadly.).

They are just all around nice little birds.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
They don'y like big seeds, only my old cockatiel Romeo likes bigger seeds like sunflower and safflower, but the other two say BLEH!
That's actually great, because I have tons of millet! Plus it'll make group recall sessions easier!
That's kind of nice (because chill bird), but my current flock is super into recall, so I'll definitely take into consideration that a tiel may not be as flight-motivated during recall sessions. On the other hand, I have Cossie, who has a really hard time processing certain things, so she has recall difficulties that may present similarly to a tiel.
They can def be dusty and don't bath in open water as often as the budgies, they prefer being misted (at least mine do!)
That's a good point. I'm going to take my budgies for a vet checkup, especially a lung checkup and disease testing before I get a tiel. If one of my budgies turns out to be un-curably breathing impaired, I won't get a tiel or any other dusty birb.
They destroy really quickly lol.
Not a huge issue!!!
I noticed my male cockatiel being much more β€œimitatively social” than my previous budgies. Like eating if I at, sleeping when I slept. Also the beady guilt trip eye if I covered him up because he was loud. (He would find the one space not covered by a towel and stare out sadly.).
Good to know!

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
I have always had cockatiels. The ones I raised had a great disposition, but at times, their hormones can be turn off. In that case, less daylight time. I usually bring our cockatiel in the shower with hubby before he soaps himself. Like another poster mentioned, some preferred to be sprayed rather than bathe in a bird bath or dish. My current tiel actually likes the shower. It's important for them to bathe as it helps to keep the dust level down. Males can talk, the females I had were more social. Regardless of their gender, they both like to eat. Mine does eat his veggies like cilantro and romaine, but others that I had were seed junkies. Cockatiels are great pets.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
My cockatiel enjoys safflower seeds.

I'm not sure about cockatiels not being flight motivated, because Pipp loves flying. Yes she likes walking around, but sometimes she gets zoomies and flies all over the house. She always flys to the highest place possible when I bring her our the room(my house has a tall roof), so I prefer keeping her in the bird room.

Pippen occasionally baths in her bowl, but prefers a nice misting on a hot day.

I think preferences and personality depend on the individual bird, so your experience may be different to mine, and that's ok.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am planning to get a cockatiel soon. I do know a fair amount of things about tiels, and their basic care/considerations but what are the lesser-known things about them that you wish you'd known when considering one?
Cockatiels tend to be chill, but love attention. Pipp doesn't need attention all day, but if she gets very little to no attention, she won't be happy.

I have to be very careful with giving Pipp head scratches when she's moulting as she's very sensitive and screeches when I make a mistake.

Cockatiels like crunchy toys, like palm leaves or finger traps. Pipp likes cardboard and cork.

Cockatiels and budgies can get along well, but they do have small fights sometimes. I often have Pipp with the budgies. They are usually calm with each other. Of course there is the occasional argument, but they don't hurt each other. But please keep an eye on them as they can hurt each other.

Cockatiels love leafy greens and herbs.

It is important to get a cage at least 1.5 times the length of their wingspan and about 2 times the hight from head to tail as cockatiels have long tails and big wings.

That's about all I can think of.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
But please keep an eye on them as they can hurt each other.
I don't think that will be an issue, since the birds will all free roam in a space much larger than your standard flight cage!
It is important to get a cage at least 1.5 times the length of their wingspan and about 2 times the hight from head to tail as cockatiels have long tails and big wings.
Good to know.
I'm not sure about cockatiels not being flight motivated, because Pipp loves flying.
That's cool! I hope I get a tiel that likes to fly, but I'll be fine with one who doesn't.

Oopsadaysey

Mar 11, 2022
East Gippsland Australia
Parrots
21yr old LutinoxPearl Quarrion (sorry cockatiel) Munchkin aka The Princess
Every tiel is different, just like people. Yes the Connect cry can be annoying, my back neighbour thought she had got out into the backyard last week and went spre trying to find her. She was just that noisy over the wild birds. She was in her room, but the door was open to a screened verandah. We have had our girl for over 20 years, we think from her reactions that she bred by a budgie breeder, as she gets very excited when she hears them on tv and answers them in their odd chatter, so yours won't feel out of place at all. She has been a delight to have in our family, and now has us completely trained.

Most Reactions