Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Hey guys.
I think Madison is going to be laying an egg soon. I could be wrong, this behavior has happened before with no results.. but she did lay one clutch of eggs several years ago. She even sat on them for a month, she was a very good mama! Er.. ok she did break one but then she laid another one to replace it and was really careful after that.
Anyways she's sticking to her box this evening and she's just acting weird. She wouldn't come out even when I sat down on the floor.. which is usually irresistible to her. I went over to say hello and take a peek just in case and she ran further into her box. When I put my arm up by the box she grabbed my hand, dragged it in and stood on it, inside the box, lol. She just wanted a little support, I think. She started regurgitating, normal for her with me, but she did it a lot more than usual. I said thanks but no thanks..ew..lol.
Then she kind of climbed off my hand and nudged me like, 'bug off ma, I got things to do!'
She came out when she heard me say Up to Rocky but then when I peeked around the corner at her she ran back inside her box:)
She isn't at all listless or unhappy or anything and she ate a nice chicken and veggie dinner (crop emptying normal) so I don't think theres anything wrong. I didn't feel anything different other than the bones there at her butt seem to be a little wider than usual..that could just be me and my brain thinking about eggs though..
I will keep checking on her, I think all the good new harrisons food and everything probably prompted this but I don't know. She's much healthier now, anyways and has been getting lots of extra calcium in her breakfast for this past month. I'll just keep peeking.. maybe she'll let me take pictures this time, if she lays some eggs! If not, I'll at least get some when she decides she's sick of them.
I'm sure I'm not going to get much sleep tonight, if she stays in the box I'm going to want to be checking in there to make sure everything goes a-ok! (even though she had no problem with the other eggs and I didn't even know about them until afterwards!)
This was much easier with my umbrella 'too.. she yelled 'MAAA' flew over and laid her egg on my lap. :eek: :D

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Wow, Good luck! It must be kind of sad for them though, thinking they're going to hatch and a month later still no baby B&G's. Poor girl. :( But i guess maybe she would realize since theres no other male B&G.. hmm

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
yeah, too bad they won't be fertile ... I have room for a B&G here ... well, not really, I would just make room by getting rid of the neighbors! :lol:

OP
Flyte

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Lol.. like I'd actually be able to give any babies up, even to the wonderful homes you guys would provide. I would soon be overrun with birds.
I don't think the lack of a male means anything to her.. if it did then I can't imagine she wouldn't sit on the eggs in the first place. It's gotta be all instinct. I mean.. the last time she was around a Macaw sitting on eggs, she WAS the egg! It's all in her head! :D
I think taking the egg away would have been more traumatic for her. Once I knew she wasn't going to keep laying them, I just left her too it. I missed her a lot because she didn't wanna play, but then one day she just came out and was back to her old self. I took the eggs out and told her she was a good girl.. she had no interest really. I put them down next to her and she still didn't seem to care so I just tossed em.
--- Ok.. I'll admit it.. I candled them before tossing them. I know it's beyond ridiculous since there was no male but I had two Blue and Gold Macaw eggs in my hand for gods sake! I just had to make sure!! :11:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Lol.. like I'd actually be able to give any babies up, even to the wonderful homes you guys would provide. I would soon be overrun with birds.
I don't think the lack of a male means anything to her.. if it did then I can't imagine she wouldn't sit on the eggs in the first place. It's gotta be all instinct. I mean.. the last time she was around a Macaw sitting on eggs, she WAS the egg! It's all in her head! :D
I think taking the egg away would have been more traumatic for her. Once I knew she wasn't going to keep laying them, I just left her too it. I missed her a lot because she didn't wanna play, but then one day she just came out and was back to her old self. I took the eggs out and told her she was a good girl.. she had no interest really. I put them down next to her and she still didn't seem to care so I just tossed em.
--- Ok.. I'll admit it.. I candled them before tossing them. I know it's beyond ridiculous since there was no male but I had two Blue and Gold Macaw eggs in my hand for gods sake! I just had to make sure!! :11:

lol

I probably would have done the same.

NEver take away eggs when the bird is still interested in them, or else they'll jsut lay more ot replace them. And this is how along of birds become chronic egg layers.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... I candled them before tossing them ... I know it's beyond ridiculous since there was no male but ... I just had to make sure!!

I didn't think Mary was a Macaw ... :p:18::18:

:35::35::35:
good one Tex!!!

OP
Flyte

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Tex.. rofl!! Thats so funny because I had typed, at the end of my message,'Haven't you guys ever heard of immaculate conception??' and then deleted it for fear of pissing someone off. lol
And yah Meghan, thats gotta be true. When one of her eggs broke she laid another one within a day or so to replace it.
She was so cute. I was the only one allowed to come see the eggs. She was so gentle with them, moving them slightly with her beak. She would roll them over one foot ever so gently sometimes, when she turned them. Was so amazing to watch her with them. My baby tryin' to have babies.. *sniffle*

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
You are bound to say something that is going to piss someone off anyway ... what the heck, have fun with it ... I already know I am going to Hell when I die, all my friends are going to be there with me, and the Devil is scared of me ... going to be a great afterlife!

OP
Flyte

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
I'll pull a few strings Tex and try to get you a good room:)
When I lived in New Jersey, we were gutting the bedroom I grew up in and inside the wall we found this huge goat horn.. signifying by divine providence that I, Sarah, am the spawn of the devil. My mom held it up, looked at me and said 'this explains everything' :D
So, seeya there!!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I used to work with a girl who claimed that her dad ran the place and she was taking over as soon as he got bored with it ... she promised me a really cool looking tail!

Most Reactions

Latest posts