Thinking about an indian ringneck...advice?

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
We are currently owned by a black capped conure named Oscar. I work from home so my little buddy is out and about with me all day long. He is a total ham and where we go, he goes.

We would like to open out home to another bird as we have caught "parrot fever". Oscar is only 7 months old and I would like to get another bird while he is young. When we go anywhere near other birds he gets so excited to be around them.

That being said, I have always been in love with indian ringnecks but passed them up because I have read that they do not like to be touched or have much human contact. Today we were in a bird store and the owner had her daughter's ringneck with her. We held him, watched him perform, and fell in love. She said that he cuddles with her daughter.

Does anyone have a ringneck that they can give advice about? Do they like to be with people? Do they like to be scratched or cuddled?

I was thinking that my best bet for this is to get a baby that I will finish hand feeding to socialize him properly.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
202-1.jpg

Chico hanging with his favorite person... and the next pic is of Chico trying to wake him up. :)

066-2.jpg

I adore my ringneck. Yes, he tends to like doing his own thing. He doesn't really like to be pet, but thats OK. He is a clown. He is very smart, and loves to play little games.

OP
tlouiselle

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

He is BEAUTIFUL. I have been reading and reading. Then I found myself watching them be clowns on YouTube. There are videos of them interacting with people. They seem amazing. This video is SHOCKING to prove how smart they are!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Fxclwdfxc]YouTube - A bird that does the most amazing things ever. A must watch![/ame]

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I am not sure how a IRN would react with a smaller bird. I have read that they can be agressive. They are beautiful birds though. I actuallly thought of getting one but changed my mind after researching them.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Really? Interesting. Mine was with smaller birds before he was homed with him. He seemed to get along fine with them. The only reason his she was re-homing him, was because her friend dumped him on her, and moved over seas, and she didn't have room.

OP
tlouiselle

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

The one that I saw yesterday was kept with other birds as well. I am just hoping that I can have the 2 of them sit on a stand together to keep each other company. Oscar likes to sit on the lanai too and I hate that he is by himself. He comes and knocks on the glass with his beak when he wants company.

What about the african ringneck? I just discovered it today while cruising the web. They are said to be a little quieter, smaller, and affectionate in comparison to the indian ringneck. I can not find any other information or even breeders for them though.

Thank you so much for your help you guys :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts