thinking about breeding my 2 parakeets :)

mollyy

Apr 25, 2020
do u guys think its a good idea?

my 2, snowy (almost 2 year old female) and daisy (2 year old male) see bonded and daisy always sings near snowy and feeds her. they don't go anywhere without eachother

i have 0 experience breeding budgies so i have these questions:
- is it a good idea? are the success rates high?
- how many of the eggs usually make it?
- if theres a dead baby budgie what am i supposed to do
- how do i know if my 2 would make good parents?
- do i feed the baby budgies or leave everything to the parents?

thank u for ur help :D :blue2::greenyellow:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you, Snowy, and Daisy!

I have never bred parakeets but can share some general information. Breeding is not for the faint of heart. No guarantees the parents will hatch and feed the chicks to the point of being weaned. You must be prepared to assume total responsibility should they abandon viable chicks. (this has happened to me) That means round the clock feeding every few hours for weeks or longer. Preparation of formula is temperature critical and not all the babies will survive. Do you plan to keep the offspring or sell/gift them to others/

Please read and consider this superb thread, written by one of our resident breeders: http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/54987-before-i-start-breed.html

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots

my 2, snowy (almost 2 year old female) and daisy (2 year old male) see bonded and daisy always sings near snowy and feeds her. they don't go anywhere without eachother

for someone with no experience at all with breeding i dont recommend it all , if they would wanted to breed they already would do it from theyre selfs.

Ä°f you ask me for you no its not a good idea my favourite budgies went breeding i was inexperienced what happend is that the mother killed 3 of the young because of the hormons the hormons can drive a budgie crazy.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
In general, not a good idea, unless you have someone to mentor you through the process. There are so many things that can go wrong, as Scott pointed out.

JuanIsTheName

Apr 26, 2020

Yeah, I don’t like breeding as it can really be an emotional wreck if the baby ends up being killed by the mom or the dad. If the baby ends up growing up to an adult it can be rewarding.

I recommend you getting someone to help you through the way. Someone who can help you look after it and tell you some advice.

This isn’t meant to sound rude and sorry if it does. It’s just that I don’t want you, the parents or the babies to suffer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I wouldn't- it gets really complicated really fast and often ends in tears with dead babies etc. It also can get behaviorally challenging...plus if they survived, they would each then need their own cages (babies will mate with siblings once they reach sexual maturity, so that means 3-5 new cages, perches, toys etc if you want to avoid an inbred mess).

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.

1. Is it a good idea? It depends. It is not a bad idea if you want to just give your pair an opportunity to be parents , at least once in their lifetime and you are prepared for the responsibilities. It is a bad idea if you do not have any plans for the chicks.
Regarding success rates- I had 4 pairs in my childhood. Of which only 3 females laid eggs. One pair was a total failure- the eggs were probably sterile.

One pair raised two healthy male chicks

The other pair raised 5 chicks in two rounds out of which only 3 were healthy and 2 were unhealthy. One developed a bad cere disease and died a painful death.

Question 2 depends.

Question 3. If there is a dead baby budgie, you have to discard it- it did not happene to me till feathers were fully grown

Question 4- There is no way of knowing whether they will make good parents until you give them a chance.
I have personally not known anyone who had a single pair , that were also good parents. I have read in books that budgies need the stimulation from other birds to breed.

Question 5- I left everything to the parents and they did a great job, or at least 2 sets of them did. But bad genetics or bad luck resulted in 2 of the chicks from one pair being unhealthy.

In summary , for me breeding budgies was like Life- a mixture of success and failure, immense joy and great pain.

You should perhaps try it just once but be open to all possible outcomes.

and if possible go for the classical budgerigar :

:greenyellow::whiteblue::greenyellow:

Most Reactions