Thinking about getting another cockatiel

DinosaurChickens

Oct 16, 2022
So. I'm not sure if I should get a cockatiel for several reasons. First off I have wanted a bird for several years and I've done tons of research on them and stuff. However, in August I bought a very young cockatiel at an exotic pet event. I thought it was great because the bird was only $125 and 3 months old. I wanted to rescue but they were usually too far of a drive. So I got the bird and a small cage with couple of dowel perches and 2 plastic bowls. I was going to get some stainless steel bowls and try to use some branches from the forest behind our property as perches and just bake them in the oven to kill any bacteria or use GSE. A week after I got the bird, it died. So that was that. Next, I share a room with my little sister and I was planning on buying a double bird cage 65" long. Long story short, I JUST moved into a different bedroom and my dad is not going to be so happy about having to move things around (it would be a tight fit but it could work). There is another bedroom that would have enough space but like I said, we just moved rooms and it would seem ungrateful to them and they don't listen to me anyways so it isn't really an option. Third, the way the house is, the stairs to the upstairs are in the garage and it's a big garage with a VERY high ceiling. So taking the bird into the main part of the house, even to get to the fridge or food, tr ge bird and I would have to go through there. Upstairs has cats, downstairs has dogs (including a very large puppy who would eat a bird). My dad will not be in the state for a while so he wont be around to help with anything. My mom sleeps all day so she won't be able to check on bird. My sister doesn't know how to shut a door most of the time. I am in school but sports are over (during which I am only available to spend time with bird in the morning). It also gets super hot in the summers upstairs even with ac and multiple fans going. I am a sophomore in highschool but I do plan on going to college asa I graduate and I'm not sure if I would be able to take care of it or how well when I do go to college. (The only way I could think of that working is if I end up going to a specific college out of state 30 minutes from a family member who owns budies. Although I'm not sure they will be living there in a few years when I do go or if I would be able to stay with said family member). I also know that birds are expensive and bird toy prices are outrageously expensive for something that is meant to get destroyed. And I don't have a job. But my 16th birthday is in a few days and I asked my mom to get me a cockatiel (one that we saw at a local exotic pet shop that seems to know what they're doing and is selling birds over or around 1 yro.) The particular bird seemed very active and was a male a bit over 1 yro. I haven't checked if the bird is still available (that was 2 months ago) but I'm hoping to go back to check soon. One of the people running the store was going to check with the vendors that sold me the bird that died in a week to try and find out what happened. I may try to call them instead. I'm just not sure weather ai could take on a bird rn with school and all and eventually college. I'm most worried about what's going to happen when I go to college and cant spend as much time. Do they even allow birds on campus? Does it vary between schools? And they are super expensive and go through toys quickly. I'm po only 15 so I dont have a job and I wont be able to get one until probably December. Any advice?

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Maybe wait to get a bird when you find out which college you will go to. In the states some colleges have something called a pet dorm. My 2 pups went with me. Birds require alot of attention and during after school activities it doesn't seem like you have very much time. Does your littlw sister want a bird too? Could she spend time with the bird?

We feed the wild birds and we interact with them. Getting them deducted sunflower seeds we got over a hundred birds who came to the windows and sat in the tree waiting their turn. Just food for thought. Also a cat is affectionate and independent and may nor mind you being absent so much as long as he/he gets a a few snuggles

And I am very sorry for your loss

Last edited:
OP
D

DinosaurChickens

Oct 16, 2022
Maybe wait to get a bird when you find out which college you will go to. In the states some colleges have something called a pet dorm. My 2 pups went with me. Birds require alot of attention and during after school activities it doesn't seem like you have very much time. Does your littlw sister want a bird too? Could she spend time with the bird?

We feed the wild birds and we interact with them. Getting them deducted sunflower seeds we got over a hundred birds who came to the windows and sat in the tree waiting their turn. Just food for thought. Also a cat is affectionate and independent and may nor mind you being absent so much as long as he/he gets a a few snuggles
I would only trust her to kill the bird. She is in 8th grade but super immature and untrustworthy. With after school activities, I'll be in volleyball from probably end of july to October and I likely wont continue after that. I try to do a bunch of scholarships and dual credits after this year tho so I will likely be busy with that stuff after school.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So. I'm not sure if I should get a cockatiel for several reasons. First off I have wanted a bird for several years and I've done tons of research on them and stuff. However, in August I bought a very young cockatiel at an exotic pet event. I thought it was great because the bird was only $125 and 3 months old. I wanted to rescue but they were usually too far of a drive. So I got the bird and a small cage with couple of dowel perches and 2 plastic bowls. I was going to get some stainless steel bowls and try to use some branches from the forest behind our property as perches and just bake them in the oven to kill any bacteria or use GSE. A week after I got the bird, it died. So that was that. Next, I share a room with my little sister and I was planning on buying a double bird cage 65" long. Long story short, I JUST moved into a different bedroom and my dad is not going to be so happy about having to move things around (it would be a tight fit but it could work). There is another bedroom that would have enough space but like I said, we just moved rooms and it would seem ungrateful to them and they don't listen to me anyways so it isn't really an option. Third, the way the house is, the stairs to the upstairs are in the garage and it's a big garage with a VERY high ceiling. So taking the bird into the main part of the house, even to get to the fridge or food, tr ge bird and I would have to go through there. Upstairs has cats, downstairs has dogs (including a very large puppy who would eat a bird). My dad will not be in the state for a while so he wont be around to help with anything. My mom sleeps all day so she won't be able to check on bird. My sister doesn't know how to shut a door most of the time. I am in school but sports are over (during which I am only available to spend time with bird in the morning). It also gets super hot in the summers upstairs even with ac and multiple fans going. I am a sophomore in highschool but I do plan on going to college asa I graduate and I'm not sure if I would be able to take care of it or how well when I do go to college. (The only way I could think of that working is if I end up going to a specific college out of state 30 minutes from a family member who owns budies. Although I'm not sure they will be living there in a few years when I do go or if I would be able to stay with said family member). I also know that birds are expensive and bird toy prices are outrageously expensive for something that is meant to get destroyed. And I don't have a job. But my 16th birthday is in a few days and I asked my mom to get me a cockatiel (one that we saw at a local exotic pet shop that seems to know what they're doing and is selling birds over or around 1 yro.) The particular bird seemed very active and was a male a bit over 1 yro. I haven't checked if the bird is still available (that was 2 months ago) but I'm hoping to go back to check soon. One of the people running the store was going to check with the vendors that sold me the bird that died in a week to try and find out what happened. I may try to call them instead. I'm just not sure weather ai could take on a bird rn with school and all and eventually college. I'm most worried about what's going to happen when I go to college and cant spend as much time. Do they even allow birds on campus? Does it vary between schools? And they are super expensive and go through toys quickly. I'm po only 15 so I dont have a job and I wont be able to get one until probably December. Any advice?
You really aren't in a position right now to commit to taking care of a pet bird of any kind. For now, focus on your schoolwork, sports, and preparing for college right now. There will be plenty of time for getting a bird once your living situation is more settled.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You really aren't in a position right now to commit to taking care of a pet bird of any kind. For now, focus on your schoolwork, sports, and preparing for college right now. There will be plenty of time for getting a bird once your living situation is more settled.
Plus, you need to be able to afford to take your bird to an avian vet if it gets sick. And you think toys are expensive!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
DinoChik, I also agree, getting a parrot or any type right now is ill advised. A busy student life, with a busy class schedule and lots of extracurricular activities, is not good for a parrot who will depend on you for everything, food , water, toys, healthcare and most of all, companionship. Can it be done, yes, but only the most devoted students make it work for both parrot and human. My advice - wait until your education is over and you get settled into a permanent, stable position and living space.

Most Reactions