Thinking about my little boy will die.

araz

Oct 9, 2021
Parrots
Green cheek normal turquoise
Hi, my friends. I hope you doing well. Thinking about that my little boy, Araz, will die one day in the future has made me depressed and I don't know how to deal with it. He is about 1 year old and so cute and funny but the fact that I said above actually has made me mental paralysed.
I wonder if you have some suggestions for that or seeing that fact from other aspects. I'm very sad and I don't know what to do.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
um what makes you think he will die; you mean in the short term or 30-40 years from now?

Also that bird is beautiful.

Either way just have fun every day......

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh my friend, I'm so sorry you feel this way - but I love how much you adore that precious little birdie of yours! I feel similarly about my Lilly Pilly sometimes. You see, she is a purple crowned lorikeet, and for reasons that I do not know, her species seems to be a very short lived one. Other lorikeets all can live to 20 or 30 years, whereas purple crowns often only live for 8 or 9 years at most, and my Lilly is 3 already.

None of us knows when our "time" will come - the best thing we can hope to do is love these precious little angels as much as we possibly can and cherish every single day that we have them in our lives. When that fateful day does arrive it will break our hearts for sure, araz, but we will at least be able to take some comfort in knowing that nobody could possibly have loved them or cared for them as much as we did. And your friends on this Forum will be here to help you bear the burden of your grief too - they certainly were for me! In the meantime, enjoy and savour every moment that you have together, and I wish you many, many more happy years with your darling little Araz :)

Sending love and blessings to the two of you, from the Crown Princess and me 💖

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
I know that feeling very well. But, if you constantly worry about him dying, then you're never going to truly enjoy your time with him. Conures can live quite a while, and your boy is still very young. There's no sense in worrying yourself into a depression over something that's most likely going to happen 30 years from now.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I took life for granted and then I read about this in "contemplation of death" chanting, quoted.....

'All beings will die,
they are of the nature to die,
and I too will also die,
of that I have no doubt'.

This mentality shocked me every time but this pandemic definitely demonstrates it. So I will have to admit that it is true. It's like, "I know but I do not know."

So with this concept in mind, my priority in life get reorganized, living in the present moment, being more aware of life's blessings, do not take things for granted. And I try my best to accept things that I can not change, as life is short.

I am not good at explaining so here is some reads on the matter.

Hope this helps

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Anxiety contemplating the eventual passing of Araz is quite natural and consequence of your devotion and love. Helpful way to channel your energies is treating every day as a gift, do all you can to ensure his well being and happiness.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Oh my friend, I'm so sorry you feel this way - but I love how much you adore that precious little birdie of yours! I feel similarly about my Lilly Pilly sometimes. You see, she is a purple crowned lorikeet, and for reasons that I do not know, her species seems to be a very short lived one. Other lorikeets all can live to 20 or 30 years, whereas purple crowns often only live for 8 or 9 years at most, and my Lilly is 3 already.

None of us knows when our "time" will come - the best thing we can hope to do is love these precious little angels as much as we possibly can and cherish every single day that we have them in our lives. When that fateful day does arrive it will break our hearts for sure, araz, but we will at least be able to take some comfort in knowing that nobody could possibly have loved them or cared for them as much as we did. And your friends on this Forum will be here to help you bear the burden of your grief too - they certainly were for me! In the meantime, enjoy and savour every moment that you have together, and I wish you many, many more happy years with your darling little Araz :)

Sending love and blessings to the two of you, from the Crown Princess and me 💖
Oh, how do you even manage to find such right words??? They always seem to hit it right...

Guys, I am all sentimental again... I lost all my older pets due to old age in less than 4 years time, but life goes on... i have other feathery fluffs left to take care of, and instead of thinking of losing them as well, I try my best to enjoy every moment with them... As others mentioned -live in the moment!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh, how do you even manage to find such right words??? They always seem to hit it right...

Guys, I am all sentimental again... I lost all my older pets due to old age in less than 4 years time, but life goes on... i have other feathery fluffs left to take care of, and instead of thinking of losing them as well, I try my best to enjoy every moment with them... As others mentioned -live in the moment!
Martina is truly the consummate platinum-tongued wordsmith!! Living in the moment an incredible gift if able, after all majority of the Animal Kingdom does similar.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Everything well said above. I started down this line of thinking when my teacup yorkie hit around 8 years old. For years I couldn't help thinking "oh my god, shes lived over half her life! The end is coming!"

The problem with that thinking is that it robs you of the joy of having your companion, you're too focused on the negative. I eventually retrained myself to orient on the present. Shes here, shes with me licking my face, I CAN'T worry about 6 years from now.

Its helped a lot, especially. I just got the news last mont that at 14 years old, shes developed chronic kidney disease. This will kill her, its an old age thing. But it's early stages and at this stage its manageable with diet modifications to start. THAT is all I'm focused on: shes not terminal yet. We still likely have another couple years with her at least.

Shes here, as rambunctious as she was when she was 8 years old. Thats all that matters.

Leave the future to the future.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Don't worry constantly about his death. He's young and has a long, happy life ahead of him. Enjoy your time with him, because when he does pass away, there will never be another bird like him. You should cherish your time with such a special bird, without worrying about this, because this will rob you of the joy you would otherwise be feeling with him.
If you worry about this, it means you really love him. With your love, he will live until the end of his expected lifespan: 20-30 years.
I'm with my six-year-old budgies right now. They are getting older now and maybe they will die next year, maybe in five years, maybe more. But the pain that comes with losing a bird is nothing compared to the joy a bird brings when they are alive.

"Nothing in the world is permanent, and we’re foolish when we ask anything to last, but surely we’re still more foolish not to take delight in it while we have it."
- W. Somerset Maugham

Most Reactions

Latest posts