Thinking About Starting Bird Rescue Facility in Dallas, TX.

Abbiebaby

Sep 5, 2011
TX
Parrots
Cluck - Timneh African Grey.

Just Deceased - Abbie - Green Cheek Conure
Hey all - I was online looking to donate some money to a local Parrot Rescue center when I realized that there were "maybe" two that I could find in the greater Dallas area. I haven't spent a ton of time seeking out all of the available options so I wanted to open this up to you all to see if you know of any that I may be missing.

Also, in the event that North Dallas doesn't have an actual facility for birds in need, what things do I need to consider, i.e. type of facility and the different environments needed, people to assist, how to find funds once I'm up and running, what does an average rescue bird cost monthly/yearly, etc.

I'm sure that there are multiple bird lovers in my area, and I could find a few wonderful people to help me get this going. I just don't know where to start...so, here I am. Any advice, info, personal knowledge based on your experiences would be great. Ways to get involved with people in my area who are as passionate about needy birds as I am is also a must. If you know of any... :)

Also, for those who know the story of my Abbie, I just found the ONLY certified Avain Vet in the area and my AG, Cluck, has her appointment on Friday. Maybe I can get this Dr. to assist with a rescue operation?!

Thanks!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Maybe you could advertise on craigs list for interested people to meet & discuss the idea. We have 1 (that I know of) active member in that area. At the very least, you could make some local bird friends. Look for Bird Clubs in the area.

To be able to accept donations w/o tax hangups, you would have to apply for a 501-C exemption. Its a very lengthy process, the IRS doesn't give those out to just anyone. There should be instructions on the internet somewhere. Let us know how it comes about.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
If you want to see available rescues, call the local humane society and ask who they call to take in birds.... a lot of time it's a out of state rescue, or a local bird owner, etc...

I do a lot of rescues (not by choice, but because I have the knowledge and experience and people often dump their birds on breeders... despite the fact that not all birds should be breeders) I sort through emotional problems, health issues, and occasionally a nice normal healthy bird that just needs a good new home.

A rescue bird rehab (on average) sticks around for anywhere from 2 to 12 months, costs an average of about $10 a month to feed (although I buy bulk and wholesale). Vet bills can kill you though :(

Here's what I do..... automatically treat for Giardia (I don't even test anymore cockatiel breeders treat their birds once a year, and now so do I). I check their throats..... if they look slimy or infected I take a swab and send it in for testing.... along with blood for the following.... PBFD, Chlamydiosis, Polyom, Pachecos, and I assess weight and condition as diet is changed and determine if additional sensitivity tests are required for any type of infection. I monitor behavoir, poop, eating, feather condition, and any other thing I can think of.... A bird doesn't leave quarantine until it's bloodwork comes back clean and it has been in quarantine for at least 60 days.

So by the time quarantine is over I have at least $150 into a bird.... I have spent up to $3000 in vet bills on a single bird alone though.... not often but it's happened.... last time I checked our financial records I average about $300 to $500 per bird in rehab costs. (Depends on the year). Physically rehabbing a bird is the easy part, some birds (especially cockatoos) can require a great deal of retraining (and some are never fit for a pet home)

A good question to ask yourself.... "when do you finally decide that euthanasia is the kindest approach?" (A bird missing both feet had been kept alive by a woman for a year, and it was prone to infections from fecal matter getting stuck to it..... I had that bird Euthanized which was an easy choice, but what about mate killing cockatoos? A bird that is often unfit as a pet, and even if you can tame them (I have) they are a risk to hens everywhere (if adopted out)....

How much money do you spend before you give up (we judge on an individual basis)?

How many birds can you handle at most?

I recomend always having $1000 on hand in a vet fund before taking on another rescue bird. If the bird doesn't need it great, take on another bird.... But you absolutely don't want to be caught with a bird who financially drains you in vet bills and nowhere near enough to cover it. Additionally, business-wise I keep one year of overhead costs saved in my bank...

So for example

electricity... $200 a month
Feed..... $250 a month
Vet allotment $300 a month
Toys. $100 a month
Perches $50 a month
Misc alottment.... $200 a month

So in this case there should be about $13,200 in the bank....

Just some thoughts... Good luck, and keep us posted as it develops...

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlet (Kiwi) and a Pineapple Conure (Widget)
I might be willing to volunteer, if I can find the time between work and school... my husband and I live in Fort Hood right now, but we will be moving back to North Dallas within two months, probably around the Rowlett/Richardson area.

Please keep everyone updated on this, I really hope it works out! I probably have at least one or two friends who would also be willing to volunteer!

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Barkley (4yo Eclectus)----
Pepper (7yo White-Capped Pionus)
I also live in the Dallas area and would love to come help out and volunteer. I'm not working or in school so I'm free almost anytime, and I was supposed to find a rescue to help out at :)

Could you share the name of your vet with me? If not publically at least in a PM. My birds are in need of a good checkup, it's been a long time for them. And I haven'[t been able to find one in the metroplex.

Chandler6611

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas Texas
Parrots
Tea spoon the peach faced love bird
and Trouble the white faced love bird
I know this is a old post but I wanted to let everyone know there is a bird rescue in Red Oak just a few miles off 45. I went there today to help at the work day. wonderfull place and people. I will be going back to help more. Its called Wings of Love Bird Haven

inge

Mar 16, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Dusky Conure, "Wynnie" (RIP little Wynnie girl)
I have been looking at a rescue in Weatherford. It is in the DFW area. I am near Houston so I have not checked it out yet.

Most Reactions