Thinking of getting a cockatiel

Zanatio

May 13, 2021
Hi everyone!

I am a middle-aged single man who has lived alone all my life. I work a 9 to 5 job Monday to Friday but my evenings and weekends are usually spent relaxing at home. I have been thinking of getting a pet for myself for a while and I saw three beautiful cockatiels at a pet store the other day that made me think about getting a bird or two. I understand that cockatiels make great pets and companions, but my only concern is that I'd be leaving them alone for most of the time because of my working hours. In your considered opinions, would it be wise for me to get a cockatiel? Would getting two or even three be any better?

Thanks!

Kaytana22

Apr 25, 2021
Media
Albums
Alabama Sir
Parrots
Cockatiel, Budgie, GCC
Hello, and welcome :)

Cockatiels make great companions! And for someone who is not home all the time that is a good choice. However, seeing is that your not home during the day may complicate things if you were to just get one. I would suggest you get two if your not going to be home. That way each one has something to keep it company while your at work. I think it'll be ok though as long as they are let out during the evening hours when you are at home. I do not hold mine a whole lot but they are pretty tame. However I do let them out of the cage for about 4 hours each day to let them stretch out and fly around some (as long as the area where your letting them out is safe).
A single cockatiel would get lonely though during the time your away, I do suggest though that you keep it at two as sometimes I have seen that one of the three would be like the third wheel and would or could be picked on by the other two. This is not a definite however but, it is possible. Especially if you end up with 2 boys and a girl.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum.

Make sure the parrot will step up for you when you meet them. Ones that have been well socialized make life so much easier when you are new to parrots.

It can be very beneficial to have 2. Most of us have more than one parrot. Starting out young they will get along. But make sure they are well socialized with people. And spend lots of time with them.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Birds require some fairly extreme lifestyle changes--- especially when it comes to routine, cleaning and cooking. The use of anything non-stick/teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfc can kill them in the same house. These chemicals are ALL OVER things in the kitchen and outside the kitchen. It is so vital that you are aware of the fact that you cannot use them (even if the bird is on another floor). Chemical cleaners, smoke, perfumes, air fresheners, any candles etc also cannot be used in the same home safely. Teflon/ptfe/pfoas/pfcs are the leading killer of captive birds, but cleaning products (even those that smell good to us) are also very harmful. Understanding a parrot's respiratory system is a vital step to ownership. Before you get a bird, please see this website and read the whole thing- https://www.ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen

They also MUST HAVE 10 hours sleep nightly (on a schedule) in a quiet, dark cage. a nightlight can be okay if a bird is prone to night frights, but they need this sleep time to be solid and if you don't give it to them, it harms their immune system, mood and hormones. When you mess with hormones, you mess with personality and health as well. Please make sure you consider the necessity of waking them up and putting them to bed on a schedule in which they will still have at least 3 hours out with you per day, while keeping sleep and wake-up times relatively consistent.

Here is a thread on how people's lives changed after getting parrots: http://www.parrotforums.com/general...change-after-getting-your-first-big-bird.html

Here is another thread for you-- please read my replies on this thread-- the first reply is what every bird owner should know (yet so many don't--- and they wont tell you this stuff at the pet store) http://www.parrotforums.com/caiques/89726-can-i-get-1-caique-if-i-work.html

You will need a much bigger cage than you think and you will likely have to buy only-- please do not get one of those teeny tiny pet store cages --bad news.

This girl is very well-educated on parrots and she knows her stuff. She always puts a positive spin on things, and it can be great for getting started. NO SNUGGLE HUTS/TENTS! I know she is young, but she REALLY knows her stuff:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwvsbJuCQsg&t=20s"]10 Common Household Dangers Deadly to Parrots! **This Can Save Your Bird’s Life!** - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFT2bHptiGY"]Reacting to My Subscribers’ Bird Cages! - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDyy3B-34c"]Reacting to My Subscribers’ Bird Cages! | Pt. 2 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aDicZLr5gU"]Reacting to My Subscribers’ Bird Cages! | Pt. 3 - YouTube[/ame]

I noticed you say "them" ---unless they are DNA sexed, you could find yourself in a real breeding mess (and I mean that). If you house a male and female together, there are very serious risks in terms of breeding and trust me when I say it is not as simple as the parents raising the birds. It is complicated, involves serious risks for parents and babies, can change behavior, requires equipment and experience etc.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I forgot to say "welcome!!!" by the way...This forum is such a great place--- don't know where I would be without all of these other knowledgeable bird people.

That part in my post above, where it says "likely will have to buy only" should have said "online" but it isn't letting me edit. Another thing-- no matter whether yours like you are not, you have to let them spend time out of the cage. Even small birds like cockatiels are as intelligent as 3-year old kids, and they need enrichment, interaction and stimulation.

They are much more complicated and demanding than owning dogs or cats, despite their size.

The other thing to start scoping out is (if at all possible) an avian certified vet. I know this is not an option in certain parts of the world, but it is super important that you do your very best and even drive a few hours to get to one if it is an option at all. A regular dog/cat vet just does not have the training and many birds have died of issues that could have been prevented if an avian certified vet had seen them instead of an exotics of regular DVM. Make sure you look into credentials, because many under-qualified vets see birds but do not have the training or equipment to deal with their complex issues. They hide illness like crazy, so unlike a dog or cat who will show signs of illness (but still give you time to call around) a parrot who shows symptoms is already on the brink, as they have been hiding it. In the wild, they die if they show weakness, so that is something that a lot of people miss when new to owning birds.. Every little thing matters and you must pay very close attention to even the slightest changes in poop, behavior, perching stance etc. The problem is, many non avian vets are ill-equipped to diagnose, let alone treat their issues, so please try and find an avian vet if at all possible.

I'm also not saying you cant get more than 1, but you shouldn't put a male and a female tiel in the same cage (IMO) because they may try to breed and that is a big deal..not simple at all, risky and expensive. Similarly, not all birds of the same species get along and if you get 2 that weren't already housed in the same cage, you need to quarantine each in a totally separate room (as far from each other as possible) for a bare minimum of 45 days (with 3 months being the most ideal-- although most people struggle with that length of time). I'd look into getting 2 tiels of the same gender. You can generally do okay with 2 males or 2 females but I would start them in separate cages unless they already get along well (and again, the cage needs to be a large flight cage for 2, and honestly, even for one). Just like people, 2 birds of the same species sometimes hate each other. The other thing to plan for is the fact that they change a lot at puberty, so be aware that, just like a human infant and a 17-year-old are different, the exact same is true of parrots (no matter their size). In other words, 2 babies who get along, may not get along (or get along TOO WELL) as adults = a real possibility (for which you must plan diligently).

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zanatio

May 13, 2021
Thank-you to everyone for your replies. I am most grateful for all your thoughts and advice. I shall definitely think long and hard before deciding to get a bird or two!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank-you to everyone for your replies. I am most grateful for all your thoughts and advice. I shall definitely think long and hard before deciding to get a bird or two!

Wonderful advice above, covers a broad spectrum of becoming a responsible parront! May I suggest repeated visits to the pet store and other sources such as rescues or breeders? Lifetime commitments deserve nothing short of deep thought, research, and hands-on experience. You may find the entire premise off-putting after a bit, or that special cockatiel may "choose" you and help with decision.

OP
Z

Zanatio

May 13, 2021
Hi all. Sorry for resurrecting a bit of an old post but I wanted to ask a question. In my first post, I mentioned that I'd seen three cockatiels at a store. I went back there today and there were only two left. I asked the saleslady what happened to the other female (since one bird has a yellow head and red cheeks and the other two don't) and she said that all three are male! Now surely all male cockatiels have the yellow heads and red cheeks and the females don't?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Don't bet on it! I was right royally fooled when we got our male cockatiel, Fang, when he was a youngster. All juvenile cockatiels look much the same, and very much like females, prior to their first major moult into adult plumage that they go through anywhere between 6 and 12 months of age. I took Fang to the vet for his first wellness check shortly after we got him, thinking he was female, and my (very experienced!!) vet took one look and said "nice male bird you got there" and I was floored! Fang is a white faced male with no cheek patches at all....

fQGfidP.jpg

Females of some mutations, like the lutinos, still have quite bright orange cheek patches, like my lovely girl Twinkle did. And because she was so beautiful, here's a picture of her :)

7XHRsGb.jpg

Prior to that first full moult into adult feathers, pretty much the only way to be sure whether a cockatiel is male or female is through DNA sexing via a blood test. Once the adult plumage has grown in, the other way to pick them is by examining the underside of the tail feathers. Male birds will have solid colour on the underside of their feathers, whereas females will retain a rippled colouration. Even in very light lutino birds like my Twinkle that stippling of colour is visible, even if you have to hold the tail feathers up to the light to see it.

Hope this helps (!), and I'm looking forward to welcoming your new baby into our flock when he or she arrives! :)

OP
Z

Zanatio

May 13, 2021
Wow, ok, I guess I learned something new today haha! So then the next decision to make is whether or not to get those two males (to be fair, though, I've not looked anywhere else yet, which is something I must still do!)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My BB was 4.5 months old when he picked me,now he is just over 5 years old. He is of "normal grey" flavor. He had very little yellow on his face when he came home and had not changed out of his baby clothes yet (looking for his then/now pic. It looked to me that he was/is a dood. I took him to his doc and when I mentioned it to her she laughed and said "don't be suprised if HE is a witchy woman :eek: I didn't do a dna on him/her and in 5yrs he hasn't pooped out an egg yet! BTW 'tiels are know to do that and it can cause problems,not only for the birdo but for the servant also.

I will edit post later when I find "the Beebs" photo's, and WELCOME to a GREAT forum!!!

Jim

OP
Z

Zanatio

May 13, 2021
I'm still trying to decide whether or not to get those two cockatiels. Obviously one of my biggest concerns is finding a big enough cage for two birds. I saw this cage in a store today and it's the biggest I've been able to find so far. Apparently the divider in the middle can come out, making it effectively two cages in one. Since I have no clue as to what constitutes a good sized cage for two cockatiels, I was hoping to get your guys thoughts on this.

IMG-20210716-WA0000.jpg

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I'm still trying to decide whether or not to get those two cockatiels. Obviously one of my biggest concerns is finding a big enough cage for two birds. I saw this cage in a store today and it's the biggest I've been able to find so far. Apparently the divider in the middle can come out, making it effectively two cages in one. Since I have no clue as to what constitutes a good sized cage for two cockatiels, I was hoping to get your guys thoughts on this.

View attachment 30704

To me this looks like 50*50cm cage, and possibly 160-170cm tall. I would rather go with a wider cage than taller. I mean, they maaaaybe could go in this one, bar spacing seems good, just birds don't really make a use of the bottom part. An ideal cage for two would be around 80-90cm wide, 50-60cm deep and around 100-120cm tall. I had an IRN in exactly such a cage, I can hardly imagine having another bird in it, honestly.

Where are you located? If you're from Europe I could easily help you find some good cages online. I guess it also depends what would be your budget. Be prepared that a good cage could easily go somewhere around 300-400 EUR, but I'm sure there could be cheaper ones for less money. I did get a brand new huge volier for 220 EUR in Hungary.

OP
Z

Zanatio

May 13, 2021
To me this looks like 50*50cm cage, and possibly 160-170cm tall. I would rather go with a wider cage than taller. I mean, they maaaaybe could go in this one, bar spacing seems good, just birds don't really make a use of the bottom part. An ideal cage for two would be around 80-90cm wide, 50-60cm deep and around 100-120cm tall. I had an IRN in exactly such a cage, I can hardly imagine having another bird in it, honestly.

Where are you located? If you're from Europe I could easily help you find some good cages online. I guess it also depends what would be your budget. Be prepared that a good cage could easily go somewhere around 300-400 EUR, but I'm sure there could be cheaper ones for less money. I did get a brand new huge volier for 220 EUR in Hungary.
Yeah I was also thinking about getting something wider rather than taller, but like I said, that one is the biggest (widest) I could find! I found many tall cages, but very few wide ones.

I'm in Mauritius, so I might battle to get anything online! :p

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Yeah I was also thinking about getting something wider rather than taller, but like I said, that one is the biggest (widest) I could find! I found many tall cages, but very few wide ones.

I'm in Mauritius, so I might battle to get anything online! :p
OH, then it is very understandable why it is so hard to get anything. As far as you can ensure the birds some flying for at least a few hours every evening, they should be fine. Not ideal, but we cannot be mad at you if there is literally no other bigger cages.
A little help for further search: For a cockatiel for bar spacing don't go over 1.6cm - that spacing is ideal for them, 2 cm is already way too big.

OP
Z

Zanatio

May 13, 2021
Does anyone know where I might find some reliable and reputable information on the internet about how to best raise cockatiels? If I'm going to get these birds, I want to do it right, and I'm not just going to watch the first video on Youtube I can find on the topic ;)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Does anyone know where I might find some reliable and reputable information on the internet about how to best raise cockatiels? If I'm going to get these birds, I want to do it right, and I'm not just going to watch the first video on Youtube I can find on the topic ;)
HERE!

OP
Z

Zanatio

May 13, 2021
Yeah, ok, fine, but I meant something a bit more specific. Like, in a nutshell, so to speak. It's all well and good having this forum with all it's myriad of topics, but I was hoping to find everything I needed together in one place, if you know what I mean.

Most Reactions