Thinking of moving from Florida to the mountains.

KimG

Aug 4, 2022
Media
Florida
Parrots
2 Severe Macaws
We are considering moving from Florida to the hight elevations of Cody Wyoming. I have a pair of Severe Macaws, which I adopted around 1989. They lived with me in New York city until we moved to Florida in 1997. Since we lived in NYC I certainly understand about keeping birds in colder temperatures. What I am not sure about is higher elevations. Is this something to be concerned about? Are there steps to follow when traveling to our new home if it is safe to keep parrots at that elivation? Are their things to consider when living at higher elevation and lower oxygen with your feathered family members? I would appreciate any advice. We are just looking into this possible move and would never want to do anything that would hurt our birds and giving them up would never be an option.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Many Humans move to the Western Mountain without first visiting. Water can be a huge problem even for mid to small towns as everything is well based with some areas with very limited to near no rain with the exceptions of flash floods.

Elevation can be a problem! It is important to know the exact elevation that you will be living at as both Humans and Avians have limits and preexisting health issues in either can be fatal.

I hope that you haven't purchased already as sight unseen purchases can be little more than you buying someone else's nightmare that now becomes yours.

If your plan is to live off the grid, it is very important to fully understand what that means and what is needed to be 'safe' as high and dry has many possible outcomes, near all dangerous if you are not prepared.

Now, you maybe moving to one of the more populated areas with all the niceties of city life and if that is the case, it comes down to what is the elevation. Cody Wyoming is at 5016+/- 30 ft depending on what part of town. You are nearly the elevation that caution needs to be considered for everyone as above this level things begin to get thin. Understanding that Mac's natural range rarely get above 600 to 1000 feet above sea level.

Without completed a search, I am not going to comment other than to say, you are getting up there when researching you choice comes to a discussion with those with more experience than I. Also, what is the likelihood of having an Avian Medical Expert in Cody Wyoming?

Know the weather as cold kills.

Last edited:
OP
KimG

KimG

Aug 4, 2022
Media
Florida
Parrots
2 Severe Macaws
Many Humans move to the Western Mountain without first visiting. Water can be a huge problem even for mid to small towns as everything is well based with some areas with very limited to near no rain with the exceptions of flash floods.

Elevation can be a problem! It is important to know the exact elevation that you will be living at as both Humans and Avians have limits and preexisting health issues in either can be fatal.

I hope that you haven't purchased already as sight unseen purchases can be little more than you buying someone else's nightmare that now becomes yours.

If your plan is to live off the grid, it is very important to fully understand what that means and what is needed to be 'safe' as high and dry has many possible outcomes, near all dangerous if you are not prepared.

Now, you maybe moving to one of the more populated areas with all the niceties of city life and if that is the case, it comes down to what is the elevation. Cody Wyoming is at 5016+/- 30 ft depending on what part of town. You are nearly the elevation that caution needs to be considered for everyone as above this level things begin to get thin. Understanding that Mac's natural range rarely get above 600 to 1000 feet above sea level.

Without completed a search, I am not going to comment other than to say, you are getting up there when researching you choice comes to a discussion with those with more experience than I. Also, what is the likelihood of having an Avian Medical Expert in Cody Wyoming?

Know the weather as cold kills.
Thank you for your reply. I have written to a vet hospital in the area that says it handles birds. I have asked them all the pertinent info about parrots in high elevation and if and how many parrots they see etc. I'm waiting on them to get back to me.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You could check the altitude to which your species of bird is native? Though I suppose there are not many alpine parrots. But maybe Bolivian, Peruvian parakeets would do ok in higher altitude.

I would mostly not exert the bird for some weeks after moving to the mountains. I think if the bird is well maybe it would have a compensatory change in blood volume or pressure?

I know humans can adapt to mountain living. Maybe tips for humans who have moved to the mountains would be helpful.

Most Reactions

Latest posts