Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Screenshot 2022-06-14 11.24.45 AM.png

Oh yes, parrots, the relaxing, quiet little stress relievers.
Screenshot 2022-06-14 11.26.37 AM.png

Oh yes, parrots, so inexpensive! They cost nothing to buy or feed. Definitely will cost you nothing in house repair. Also very low maintenence.
Screenshot 2022-06-14 11.28.59 AM.png

Translation: Parrots only need a small cage, and you can also take them on walks whenever! No safety or space required!
Screenshot 2022-06-14 11.33.10 AM.png

Don't pick the bird you actually want! Stick with a budgie or cockatiel instead.
Screenshot 2022-06-14 11.32.14 AM.png

What do you guys think? Is this aritcle bad, or am I overreacting? It just seems like a really bad article for beginners, highlighting all the qualities a good, well tamed parrot MAY have, and not sharing all the downsides.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh man! I had to laugh at this crazy as hell article!!!! I kept waiting for the punch line!!

You sent over reacting!! Everything is tge exact opposite of what's written!!!!!!!

Parrots screaming, parrot mess, parrots expensive!!! Their food, toys, cages vet visits, replacement of house trim, windows blinds. Remote controls, computer keyboard,phones, furniture you name it they destroy it ,$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just wow! Author needs a kickin the pants ! Heck one day with my quakers they would see the error of their ways

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Oh man! I had to laugh at this crazy as hell article!!!! I kept waiting for the punch line!!

You sent over reacting!! Everything is tge exact opposite of what's written!!!!!!!

Parrots screaming, parrot mess, parrots expensive!!! Their food, toys, cages vet visits, replacement of house trim, windows blinds. Remote controls, computer keyboard,phones, furniture you name it they destroy it ,$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just wow! Author needs a kickin the pants ! Heck one day with my quakers they would see the error of their ways
Even the budgies! A list of the damage they've done:

1. Chewed every bit of exposed trim they can find, DESPITE having tons of toys (WHY???).
2. Removed the feathers from my dream catcher and stored them in a crack between 2 books (whyyyy???).
3. Shut themselves in the seed bin (just, how???).
4. Escaped their locked cage (again, HOW???).
5. Managed to hang themselves by the neck from a toy (Cossie, I'm looking at you).

And that's just the stuff I REMEMBER!!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wow, my flock obviously didn't read this.

This kind of thing drives me crazy, it is definitely not just you, Ollie. Anyone who reads this and believes it to be true sets themselves and the bird they get up for failure. The person may actually have made a good parront with the proper information but instead will be turned off birds for good.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
HAHAHAHA!
I think about Charley...HAHAHA.
It should be titled "Best Pet Birds for Children to Lose a Finger 'too".

Pardon the pun, I couldn't help myself.
And then they go on to say that cockatoos are very pretty, gentle, and your guests will love them :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, no

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
What do you think is the most rehomed parrot? I'd say, if you're actually rehoming to a shelter or a person, it's 'toos. But if you're rehoming to a petshop it would probably be budgies.

This reminds me of a story:
A guy with a kid under the age of 1 walks into my local pet shop, and sees the galah the shop is rehoming.
Guy: Wow, that's a pretty bird, does it talk?
Employee: No, many don't.
Guy (to kid): How'd you like that!? A pretty birdie to play with?
Employee: *Visibly concerned*
Guy: How much does this birdie cost?
Employee: 3,000 USD
Guy: Aww, darn. I guess I did think it would be a lot.

And then the time an old dude slapped a baby budgie because it wouldn't step up.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thinking about birds I've seen rehomed here in ads, as well as how many the rescue takes in I would say it's Conures. Next would be Finches and Budgies. I think that the species may vary depending on what's commonly available where someone lives.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thinking about birds I've seen rehomed here in ads, as well as how many the rescue takes in I would say it's Conures. Next would be Finches and Budgies. I think that the species may vary depending on what's commonly available where someone lives.
I agree. Here, there are barely any conures for sale, while rescues, petshops, and craigslist are overflowing with budgies. Finches also aren't that common? It's mainly canaries.

I'd like to do a study on that, which bird is the most rehomed in each country.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Maybe it's just differents in different places? Here, there are barely any conures for sale, while rescues, petshops, and craigslist are overflowing with budgies. Finches also aren't that common? It's mainly canaries.

I'd like to do a study on that, which bird is the most rehomed in each country.
That sounds like an interesting study!
You could post the question in The Hangout for the members to comment on, I think it would be quite interesting.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'd agree budgies are up there with sheer numbers passing through Craigslist and pet stores. And many die young from all seed diet and tiny cages.

Around me in Florida its quakers ( loud screaming prone) and budgies then conure.

But I think nearly every cockatoo, passes through several owners ( Or lands in a rescue ) They just have more needs than most are prepared to meet. For those who do im sure they are a lovely companion.

I think we all agree parrots aren't easy pets, not a stress free pet, not a pet yiu can keep in tiny cages and only pay attention too minimally. Too many are passed around , or neglected

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
All of my budgies I adopted/rehomed....

They are so funny.....each has a personality all their own. and the quakers and conures honestly look after them. The one budgie siblings that had their wings clipped, the conures will fly down and observe (actually one can fly now the other only grew flight feathers on one side so far). Then the two that fought in the youtube video, you can see in the youtube video the quaker breaking it it up.

Most Reactions