This darn bird is really interfering with my lifestyle...

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
So, the title of this post was meant to be tongue in cheek, kind of. I have had birds, a parakeet (my bff) as a kid, some conures, then the Sass. When I think back to the almost 10 year friendship I had with Jake (my blue keet), it's no wonder that I find myself where I am in life, TOTALLY 100% head over heels in love with Sass. In a mushy sloppy kind of way. The bird can do no wrong in my book. If she chomped off a finger I would probably console her as I tried to screw it back on. And the weird/funny/confusing thing is, I have no idea how it happened.

I am an animal lover, always have been. I would gladly give my life for my dog. Seriously. My horses are precious and beautiful. Nothing like riding faster than the wind and leaving your troubles in a cloud of dust. My conures are delightful. I thoroughly enjoy their antics and company. Chickens and sheep too. And then came the Sass.

It's kind of hard to admit this, but it's an online forum where nobody really knows you, right? I am trying to figure out how, when and why Sass turned from a much beloved pet to an actual family member, and even more than that somehow. Her "being" fills this house to the brim. It is NEVER lonely, it couldn't be with her presence. And I'm not talking about her noise (although there is that, too). It's like she "owns" waking up on the right side of the bed everyday. No matter what. Always ready to make the best of what life throws at her. She has this completely indomitable spirit, and just being around her make me want to be a better person.

I have been reading all sorts of blogs and articles about what makes parrots "click'" with some people. Trying somehow to define what "it" is. Not that the definition matters, really, it's just how my mind works. What "exactly" is it that has so won over my heart? Could I love another bird this much? Not that I want to, I just wonder if it's a parrot thing or a SassyByrd thing? I have the feeling its a little of both.

It's gotten to the point where we are planning our days, and out nights, around this darn bird. We play poker to supplement our income. We used to play Mon-Fri during the day. Not anymore. Now we only play at night so we can be home with the bird during the day. I don't cook or go grocery shopping. Or at least I didn't. Until Sass. Now I'm cooking daily. For the bird. My kids (grown up now) probably just shake their heads. Vacations? Yep, only SassyByrd friendly ones are now considered. And the list just keeps growing!

And I don't think I'm alone. I've gotten a "feeling" after spending time on this forum, that there others. In fact, some of you seem to be even more enamored (tried hard to think of a polite word for ''bird crazy") than me, and I am beginning to get the feeling that when I read your posts I am getting a glimpse of my future :eek: I know one thing for sure, I will consider myself the luckiest person in the world if the future allows Sass and me to remain lifelong besties!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Yes my world is all about RK. It just makes me so happy to see him happy, such an amazing part of our family. What people don’t get about the trade off in inconvenience is really nothing in comparison to what our feathered family members give to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm with ya! Could it be much more obvious? Through marriages, jobs, moves, houses, illnesses... you name it. My little demon has been my touchstone. In 35 years, I don't think I've made ONE DECISION without thinking of the bird.

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
I agree! My Sam rules the house, or roost LOL. He is about to turn 37, and I have had him since he was 11 weeks old. As I look back on the past 37 years, he is the one constant in my life, and perhaps the best thing about everything. I am quite attached to him, and he is really attached to us as well.

My goal now is to keep him as healthy as possible and as happy as possible so he can have many more years of life with us. I pretty much do everything I can to do this, and sometimes it does feel like everything revolves around the bird. That, however, does not bother us. We love Sam so much and want it this way. I guess we have become those crazy parrot people! Wouldn't have it any other way! PARROTS ROCK.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Me too. I often refer to Bumble as the little love of my life or my little bestie, and I frequently tell people that birds aren’t pets, they’re lifestyles. You have to change everything and give up lots and what you get in return is so much more.

I love to travel, but long trips where she can’t join me just won’t happen anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it’s okay. Luckily my sister, who lives across the country, is a wonderful “auntie” who makes the house safe and welcomes her when I visit (in fact we’re here now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts