This is going to sound terrible... I guess it is

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
Petes first ever vet visit is today.

I am going to try and defend my actions. She is 8 months old, an only bird, an only pet even.
She has always looked in perfect health, had a varied diet nd unvaried poo.

Doesnt make up for it does it?

Shes not going to an aviary vet, but a small animal vet. It will just be a routine checkup. a clip of the nails, a trim of the beak, and maybe the wings.

I'm sure it'll be fine.
Major attack of the guilts.

I swear if I ever thought she was genuinely ill, Id be at an after hours avian in a flash!!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
... Good to hear ... I don't think that it's bad, but it's not what I would do for my birds, but then again we got Hamlet from a big box pet store (so we had to make sure he was OK) and then we had to get Mac checked out before we would let him anywhere near Hamlet ... Glad to hear that everyone is OK! :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm glad Pete's okay, and all trimmed up, (except for the wings)

As birds are able to disguise any illness I take mine for a well bird check up once a year, but thats because I've got so many in the house that if one got sick there's such a risk of it spreading to all of them. :eek: Its just something I've always done.

I'm sure that if you even thought for one second there could be anything wrong you would have taken him to the vets before, so don't be too hard on yourself. :D

OP
nzchickadee

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
he's not a year old yet, and was bred by a vet nurse. Also he was an only bird - if was had gotten a second bird more recently, then they would be quarenteened and vet checked, its just pete has been a loner all his life really.
We are planning on changing that soon, but its a suprise ;)

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
he's not a year old yet, and was bred by a vet nurse. Also he was an only bird - if was had gotten a second bird more recently, then they would be quarenteened and vet checked, its just pete has been a loner all his life really.
We are planning on changing that soon, but its a suprise ;)

Ohhhhhh I love surprises................... :D I won't tell anyone. :D

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Petes first ever vet visit is today.

Major attack of the guilts.

Hey don't feel bad about it. Actually, I have talked to a lot of people that refuse to take their bird to the vet just for a 'well bird checkup'. They could possibly pick something up there. So don't worry, I think you're in the majority for not having taken him to the vet before. I don't think Red has taken Skippah to the vet because of the stress it would cause him (correct me if I'm wrong though).

But...congratulations that everything is good and well with Pete. And I guess that if you are thinking of getting Pete a companion, then it was a good choice to take him and get him checked out after all.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
lot of people that refuse to take their bird to the vet just for a 'well bird checkup'. They could possibly pick something up there.

Exactly its very much a personal choice, and if you thought there was the slightest chance he was ill you would have taken him.

Most Reactions