This isn't right is it?!

southshore

Aug 15, 2014

Hello everyone! Hope you and your birds are well.

I came across this video. I am from Pakistan so I sometimes watch local videos to get an idea of what people are doing when working with local species. Our locals are IRNs and Alexes.

In this video this guy is proclaiming that this is the right way to train your parrot not to bite. I really fail to understand how him insisting to touch the bird continuously is helping with the training process. Thus is NOT right is it? It doesn't look nor fell right at all!

So the question is, what approach should would be effective in resolving the issue of this parrot biting and allow his owner to stroke him and stratch his head? Thank you for taking out the time to go through my post. Looking forward to hearing from you! :)

Last edited:

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
that is not the right way to teach your bird not to bite you. I will put a vidoe a vidoe to teach your bird to not bite you because its alot of steps, and i dont like typing alot of things.
hope this helps ☺️ :orange:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Aw that Alex is super cute.

I agree with you @southshore . From what I've read and found, training methods like this used to be more common.

My parrot does not want me to touch him and if I kept trying like this I think he would eventually give up because he felt powerless, not because he trusts me completely.

I'm still new to having a parrot myself, but for me it's very important that my parrot always has a choice. My parrot is an African Ringneck who was not tame when I got him. He does not want me to touch him at all yet, and I respect that. He likes being around me and he wants to eat at the same time as me, so he does have a bond. It might just be part of his personality too, he might never like head scratches as much as another bird might.

Once you figure out a treat your parrot likes, it seems like starting with getting your parrot to eat from your hand and/or fingers is often a first step in training. And then teaching them to step up onto your hand by just holding your hand in front of them, and holding the treat closer to you so that they lean over your hand, and eventually will step up onto it.

Out of the different parrot species I've met so far, they all have very different personalities even when they have some similarities within their species. The general idea of reward-based training works with all animals, however.

I commend you for all the research you're doing, by the way!

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Aw that Alex is super cute.

I agree with you @southshore . From what I've read and found, training methods like this used to be more common.

My parrot does not want me to touch him and if I kept trying like this I think he would eventually give up because he felt powerless, not because he trusts me completely.

I'm still new to having a parrot myself, but for me it's very important that my parrot always has a choice. My parrot is an African Ringneck who was not tame when I got him. He does not want me to touch him at all yet, and I respect that. He likes being around me and he wants to eat at the same time as me, so he does have a bond. It might just be part of his personality too, he might never like head scratches as much as another bird might.

Once you figure out a treat your parrot likes, it seems like starting with getting your parrot to eat from your hand and/or fingers is often a first step in training. And then teaching them to step up onto your hand by just holding your hand in front of them, and holding the treat closer to you so that they lean over your hand, and eventually will step up onto it.

Out of the different parrot species I've met so far, they all have very different personalities even when they have some similarities within their species. The general idea of reward-based training works with all animals, however.

I commend you for all the research you're doing, by the way!
Thank you so much! I did an year of research before I got my first puppy. It proved to be just invaluable when I finally got her. I wouldn't go about it any differently for any other animal.

And I admire you too for starting off with a ring neck! Being in Pakistan the two most indigenous species that are also most common in Psittaculture are the Indian ring neck and the Alexandrine. And boy does the IRN pack one heck of a punch! They tend be be REALLY wild with monstrously large personalities. I admire you for taking up the challenge and succeeding at it! Great job! 👌

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
that is not the right way to teach your bird not to bite you. I will put a vidoe a vidoe to teach your bird to not bite you because its alot of steps, and i dont like typing alot of things.
Thanks so much for replying to my post! I found a good video on how this OUGHT to be done and seems quite right. Do share your thoughts on it @that bird expert and @Cottonoid. 👍

Last edited:
OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Wow! What a great video. Full of information. Thank you soo much!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you so much! I did an year of research before I got my first puppy. It proved to be just invaluable when I finally got her. I wouldn't go about it any differently for any other animal.

And I admire you too for starting off with a ring neck! Being in Pakistan the two most indigenous species that are also most common in Psittaculture are the Indian ring neck and the Alexandrine. And boy does the IRN pack one heck of a punch! They tend be be REALLY wild with monstrously large personalities. I admire you for taking up the challenge and succeeding at it! Great job! 👌
@williampatte

Most Reactions

Latest posts