This one's body language

southshore

Aug 15, 2014

Came across this video when searching for Alex training videos. Now what's this weird thing going on with this birds eyes? Is this eye pinning? What are these type of eyes called in parrot body language terms and what does this tell is about this bird?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
This is definitely eye pinning. Ringnecks are notorious for pinning a lot. It usually means they are excited for one reason or another. In the video this bird looks to be very engaged in the training and excited to participate. However eye pinning can also be a warning sign pre-bite. Usually the bird is showing other body language signs prior to the bite in addition to the pinning. Eye pinning is one of those behaviors you cant read on it's own, you have to take into context everything else the bird is doing.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Great info @Owlet thanks! So if he were aggressive eye pinning in pre-bite mode what other signs could he be exhibiting?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Depends on the parrot. I know my amazons body language really well, so its eye pinning , bit also lowering his head, wings down a bit and out a little and beak partially open. WHen all those are present I know NOT to try and pick him up or touch him. You gotta learn your parrot.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Yes @wrench13 I have seen parrots adopt that posture. Sure looks menacing. Anyone with good common sense should be able to tell. But again, common sense isnt common!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My profile picture is of my OWA Kirby in pre-bite/bluff mode. His eyes were pinning, but he also was majorly poofed up and standing pretty upright. When he doesnโ€™t want to be pet he actively sits up straighter and puffs out his feathers - if you ignore that heโ€™ll slick them back real fast and HONK while leaning away from your hand. If you donโ€™t listen to the honkโ€ฆwell, by that point heโ€™s told you three different times to stop, and youโ€™re in for at least a bruise.

In this case I think someone he didnโ€™t like had come in the room, lol. I can still usually handle him when he is like this, but I make a point not to press him when heโ€™s uncomfortable unless it is necessary. Itโ€™s just respectful, and I have found if I respect his space when he tells me to back off and itโ€™s not an emergency, then he gives me more leeway to handle him when heโ€™s upset when it IS urgent.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
My profile picture is of my OWA Kirby in pre-bite/bluff mode. His eyes were pinning, but he also was majorly poofed up and standing pretty upright. When he doesnโ€™t want to be pet he actively sits up straighter and puffs out his feathers - if you ignore that heโ€™ll slick them back real fast and HONK while leaning away from your hand. If you donโ€™t listen to the honkโ€ฆwell, by that point heโ€™s told you three different times to stop, and youโ€™re in for at least a bruise.

In this case I think someone he didnโ€™t like had come in the room, lol. I can still usually handle him when he is like this, but I make a point not to press him when heโ€™s uncomfortable unless it is necessary. Itโ€™s just respectful, and I have found if I respect his space when he tells me to back off and itโ€™s not an emergency, then he gives me more leeway to handle him when heโ€™s upset when it IS urgent.
Yes its important to give them respect. Every living thing deserves to be respected, even plants. Forcing just can't be beneficial to the bond. Just doesn't seem right. We should know that we have come a long way from that. The more your bird associates positives with you the more inclined it would be to return the favor and be at its best behavior. I suppose that forms the basis of positive reinforcement as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts