Thought on using a humidifier near a bird?

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
So the vet had recommended using a humidifier to help with Maddox's allergies so I wanted to ask all of you lovely people what your thoughts are. Are humidifiers safe for birds, and if so, how far should they be from the bird's cage?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
In my case my birds are in a very large room so my humidifier is inches away from the bird that needs it most (bingo).
the humidified air blows up not on my birds.
If your bird is in a relatively small room then it might not be necessary to put it really close.

I would experiment and put a digital temp/humidity monitor close to the cage (they don’t cost much) and move the humidifier as needed.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
If you use an evaporative humidifier, it can go anywhere, as it’s not emitting a mist but merely blowing a fan over a vat of water!

Highly recommend the Aircare branded humidifiers. You can find them on Amazon and sometimes at hardware stores. It’s what we use in Kirby’s room, along with a Bluetooth hygrometer to keep track of his room on the fly.

Rinse it once a week with vinegar and change the water out 2-3 times a week and you can set it and forget it. I change the filters every other month or when they look gross.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
In my case my birds are in a very large room so my humidifier is inches away from the bird that needs it most (bingo).
the humidified air blows up not on my birds.
If your bird is in a relatively small room then it might not be necessary to put it really close.

I would experiment and put a digital temp/humidity monitor close to the cage (they don’t cost much) and move the humidifier as needed.
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be safe to use a humidifier near birds if it's maintained properly. Does anyone have an anti-humidifier theory?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Those units that use a heater to more quickly get humidity into the air can be a problem in my opinion and should be avoided. Using a unit that draws air up within a filter with a bath of water that sits below are the most effective.

As stated by others here, having a separate unit that measures temperature and humidity is very important and should be used to determine the levels within your home. Please understand that adding humidity to your home is a positive for the home, the humans and your Parrots! As low levels of humidity is problematic for all. Most homes want to target 45 to 50% relative humidity!

I prefer to place the unit away from my Amazon and in an open area within my home to assure the wide spread of humidity within your home! Over loading a single area of your home can result in the development of mold in that area.

Note, when the natural level of humidity increases in the Spring, Summer and early Fall, the use of a supplemental unit is no longer required. That can be determined by noting the level on your temperature /humidity measuring device.

OP
maddox

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
Thanks for all of the input! I have a misting humidifier keeping his cage at a steady 60%. This actually seems to have stopped his sneezing!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just one additional item for using a supplemental Humidifier placed centrally in your home: The humidity in the air within your home helps by reducing the energy needed to heat your home. It is not huge, but will off-set the cost of the electric to run the unit, plus a bit.

Most Reactions