Thoughts on a summertime cage?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Haha hi again, hello, uhm, I know it's like wintertime but its 6 AM as of right now, I have gotten 0 sleep, and my mind has been wandering everywhere. going from goofy stuff to poop jokes, to the walking dead, to birds, to Rico (my bird) in a hoodie.

anyway, I upgraded his cage in early Oct. and his old cage is just chillin' in the shed. it's an alright size, big enough for his big wings to spread out and I don't want to throw it out or get rid of it, you know? I want to get the best out of it. I want to use it as a sunning cage because his travel cages make him claustrophobic and one is super small, just barely big enough for him. he can take a few steps from left to right in it, so I avoid it as much as possible. the dimensions of the summer cage is 33.07 x 20.86 x 20.86 but the height w/ legs is 54 inches tall. ( https://www.amazon.com/iKayaa-Cocka...qid=1668785198&sprefix=ikayaa+,aps,209&sr=8-1 ) here is the link to the cage to get an idea of how big it is.

i will use different food bowls as the ones on the cage are far too deep and he could fall in and drown. i intend on using 2 perches (dowel down low and a different perch up high) and i will make sure to provide a few toys. i will drag the cage in at night or when i feel it's gonna rain (i am learning to smell and sense rain) and once its mid-august, i will disassemble it and store it away once again. he would only be in this cage under my supervision for about an hour or two. i will bring it in to put him in/take him out and take him to my room.

any thoughts on this?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Haha hi again, hello, uhm, I know it's like wintertime but its 6 AM as of right now, I have gotten 0 sleep, and my mind has been wandering everywhere. going from goofy stuff to poop jokes, to the walking dead, to birds, to Rico (my bird) in a hoodie.

anyway, I upgraded his cage in early Oct. and his old cage is just chillin' in the shed. it's an alright size, big enough for his big wings to spread out and I don't want to throw it out or get rid of it, you know? I want to get the best out of it. I want to use it as a sunning cage because his travel cages make him claustrophobic and one is super small, just barely big enough for him. he can take a few steps from left to right in it, so I avoid it as much as possible. the dimensions of the summer cage is 33.07 x 20.86 x 20.86 but the height w/ legs is 54 inches tall. ( https://www.amazon.com/iKayaa-Cockatoo-Lockable-Stainless-Birdcages/dp/B071PCCVZK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2KXNIQ8YC9083&keywords=ikayaa+parrot+cage&qid=1668785198&sprefix=ikayaa+,aps,209&sr=8-1 ) here is the link to the cage to get an idea of how big it is.

i will use different food bowls as the ones on the cage are far too deep and he could fall in and drown. i intend on using 2 perches (dowel down low and a different perch up high) and i will make sure to provide a few toys. i will drag the cage in at night or when i feel it's gonna rain (i am learning to smell and sense rain) and once its mid-august, i will disassemble it and store it away once again. he would only be in this cage under my supervision for about an hour or two. i will bring it in to put him in/take him out and take him to my room.

any thoughts on this?
I think it's a great idea, nothing is quite as beneficial as the sun.
Put him under a padio or something where wild birds can't poop due to the avian flu outbreaks.
Keep a close eye on him to watch for predators.
Other than that I can't think of anything else!
Good luck! 😊

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yes. Real sun is great! But I would (as you indicated) stay with him because wild animals can kill a little bird easily. You love your bird and don’t want that to happen.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I think it's a great idea, nothing is quite as beneficial as the sun.
Put him under a padio or something where wild birds can't poop due to the avian flu outbreaks.
Keep a close eye on him to watch for predators.
Other than that I can't think of anything else!
Good luck! 😊
i plan on watching him like a hawk as usual haha but yes, thank you sm! i dont let him near birds and if they come near, i stay away and try to avoid going near trees because that one incident where a robin hen swooped us. the wild birds wont really approach unless ive got food and they see me with food. its typically the jays who visit me. the tit birds, sparrows, larger corvids, ducks, gulls, finches, and woodpeckers tend to stay away. again, thank you so so much!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Yes. Real sun is great! But I would (as you indicated) stay with him because wild animals can kill a little bird easily. You love your bird and don’t want that to happen.
yes! he LOVES sunning! and yes, i will be within 3 feet of him and watch him like a hawk, which is ironic coming from someone who is blind without their glasses hah!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I would also zip tie the crap out of everything for this style cage - even if he's never shown any interest in poking doors open. I have one that's a similar material but different design. I'd do the sections with a few on each side, and then any door that could open except for where you put him in. Partly to prevent accidental escape but also to prevent sections coming apart if it's dropped or knocked over somehow. And then it's easy to cut all the ties off to dismantle for winter.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I would also zip tie the crap out of everything for this style cage - even if he's never shown any interest in poking doors open. I have one that's a similar material but different design. I'd do the sections with a few on each side, and then any door that could open except for where you put him in. Partly to prevent accidental escape but also to prevent sections coming apart if it's dropped or knocked over somehow. And then it's easy to cut all the ties off to dismantle for winter.
I already thought of this! especially with the roof. the side doors have a latch where you take the handle turn it upside down and slide it to the side, so i feel i wouldnt need to zip those but yeah, we have like 5,000 zips everywhere so we're not running short of those anytime soon lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts