Thoughts on Molt, Possible Skin issue?

BAMM17

Oct 21, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
"Rudra" - Green Budgerigar; M |
"Nayru" - Blue Crowned Conure; M
My BCC is currently undergoing a somewhat minor molt; fair amount of pin feathers around the neck and on his head and face.

For the most part it appears normal to me, however on the top of his head there is a large featherless spot, and while pin feathers are growing in place, the skin underneath and the size of the spot seems like a possible symptom of something. I have attached pictures to the thread.

We will be visiting the vet next week, for this and a few other skin/feather related issues, however I want to determine if any other parrot owners have encountered similar symptoms? And if so what were some of the causes?

One possibility I'm aware of is the humidity level in the room. My gauge typically reads between 10-20% which is pretty dry, so perhaps dry skin is causing some of the issues I am seeing? Hopefully we can rule out bacterial/fungal/allergy issues when we visit our vet.

Could also be a dietary issue maybe? He eats RoudyBush Maintenance and Nutriberries as a base diet, and each morning I serve a variety of fruits & vegetables, but are there any specific foods that should be offered during molting to prevent "stress bar", malnourished feathers, etc.?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

DSC_2666.jpg DSC_2662.jpg DSC_2671.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Eyes and hands-on can never be replaced by photographs! So, your upcoming Avian Vet visit is well timed.

Humidity levels of 10-20% for this time of years is low! First, your device needs to provide both temperature and humidity. As one measurement is useless without the other. Assure you have a good quality device and it is located near your Parrot(s).

At present, we maintain a 70 degree F home temperature using a new technology forced air furnace. The area near our Amazon is 44%. The device setting on the Furnace mounded Humidifier is 'digital' and an upgrade from the standard mechanical style. We adjust the unit at the furnace up and down a click at a time to obtain the wanted 40 to 45% near the Amazon.

Regular misting and /or baths are important year around for Parrots.

Your level is very low for not only your Parrot(s), but also, you and all the wood products in your home, including the home.

The molting you are seeing 'appears' to be proper for feather loss on the head. The skin 'appears' to be okay. That said, the color shift of your camera and the digital shift as it is transfers several times until it appears on my screen can change several shades.

At the very least, you need to seriously look at adding humidity to your home before your hair begins to lift when you are near your TV screen!

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Looks like normal feather replacement to me

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Not all birds molt the same. Some birds look like crap! So it could very well be normal for *him*.

Adding coconut oil, red palm oil or vitamin E oil in some form may help. It would be a good idea to ask the vet about this when you go in for the visit.

OP
BAMM17

BAMM17

Oct 21, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
I apologize for the that oversight, the gauge also has a temperature sensor, which falls between 60-70Β°F depending on heater activity. It is an analog sensor and so is not very precise; it is placed on the wall behind his cage.

We have been doing 1-2 daily mistings, which he is not crazy about but will tolerate (especially if it involves a treat); I think he is just wary of the abrupt mist and sound. He is pretty good with using his water dish to bathe himself, usually as soon as I start cleaning the tray for some reason.
I also recently received over-the-phone advice from a different avian vet whom suggested targeting affected areas with the mister to help rehydrate, so we have also been trying that.

Permanent solution for humidity is a steam vaporizer I have ordered for the room. Unfortunately, do not have the means to humidify the entire house, but his room should be taken care of once I have the vaporizer.

I am aware of the degradation in sharing digital photos on the internet, however the photos attached were more to show the scope of feather loss more so than the look of his skin. The condition of his skin will be the subject of our vet visit.

Thanks for your advice.

OP
BAMM17

BAMM17

Oct 21, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
I have read about those suggestions before. Yes, I will be inquiring about the use of products like that during our visit, as I have also read that some ointments and additives can interfere with preening and/or thermoregulation so I would like to confirm.

Most Reactions

Latest posts