Thoughts?

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
So... Angela seems to be sick, I suspect Aspergillosis. Right now it's Sunday, 7 pm so all vets are likely closed. I've been thinking about calling a vet tomorrow but - here are only non-avian vets nearby. The closest avian vet is over 90 km away - for most of you it may seem to be close because you go further. But I don't have a driving license yet and I would have to go by a train. Right now it's winter here, so I'm afraid she could get even more sick - especially because I usually search for new places so long and she could freeze...

So, I'm considering nearby vets - the nearest any avian vet heals only poultry, so I don't think they would agree... but maybe it would be a better solution than a typical vet. (My mom is against this idea because it still isn't in my town but I don't have to listen to her...)
I heard that vets who heal not only birds are usually so bad in birds and many of them do it only for money... Does anyone have any experience?

Maybe I'll add that Angela is afraid of people. She feels safe only in her cage, so it would be better if she wouldn't go so far...

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Currently I live very close to a CAV's office, so it's not a problem for me anymore. When I still was living with my parents, the nearest CAV was about an hour's drive away and there was another vet just down the road, but they didn't treat birds. Once Ziggy got caught in a door and the avian vet was closed, so we took him to the other vet, and it went surprisingly well. The vet seemed to know what she was doing (at least somewhat) and Ziggy was perfectly ok (but he wasn't badly injured so maybe if he had been, we wouldn't have been so lucky? Idk)
So the point I'm trying to make is, if you REALLY need to, it might be ok to see a vet that doesn't usually treat birds. That is, if they'll even take a bird.
I'm sure some of them would be really bad, though, so I'm sorry. That wasn't very helpful...

How sick is Angela? Since you're assuming she has aspergillosis, I'm going to assume she has trouble breathing? Is she okay?

If she's REALLY sick, I would just take the chance and go to the nearest vet, avian or otherwise. That's my opininon. I'm sure others will disagree with me, and that's totally understandable.

I'm sorry. That was the most unhelpful post I could give you.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Yeah, she has troubles with breathing - she breathes loud, sometimes coughing (?, not sure if such thing exists among birds). She also has convulsions in her right foot - I read it's another possible symptom of aspergillosis.

Thank you, it wasn't an unhelpful post. I'm afraid it may be an advanced stage (I read somewhere that early stage doesn't really show symptoms...), so I think it may be better to try to look for a vet here.
Even now I'm hearing Angela breathing (I'm in another room) :(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry to hear that your dear Parrot is ill.

Here in North America what you are taking about is likely a Large Animal Vet (Farm Vet) as they commonly treat poultry and the other Farm Birds. Most here will also see Parrots as although there are differences between poultry and Parrots, they are far less then compared to Cats and Dogs.

IMHO, a Cat and Dog vet will not define the illness correct and will not proscribe the correct medication as they are purely cats and dogs.

Regards,

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh Rozzy, I'm so sorry to hear about Angela! There can be no worse feeling than worrying about her, plus not being sure you have a vet you can trust 😟 I wish I could transport her over here to see my guy, he is the best! Have you dealt with either of the vets you mentioned before? Ordinarily I might suggest the poultry guy too but if you don't trust him or he's so far away that may not be the best option either. I wish I could be of more help to you - if you can hear her breathing from another room that's not good :( Sending every good wish for you and Angela, Rozzy, I hope you can work something out for her 🙏🙏🙏

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Aspergillosis is something poultry suffers from.
I was looking up the antibiotic that was prescribed for my yellow nape (doxycycline) and it was mentioned that it was used to treat Aspergillosis in poultry by mixing it into the water. I would assume that it was meant for large flocks as giving antibiotics to every bird individually when you have thousands of birds is not practical.
So a farm vet sounds like a good temporary idea.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Have you dealt with either of the vets you mentioned before?
Nope, so far I haven't needed...

I just called the poultry vet and the woman seemed to be unkind and didn't agree to take a parrot...

So, now I'm looking at a "general" vet who takes different types of animals, including birds

Last edited:
OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
So...
I called other vets and... nobody takes parrots :(
At least I learnt that we have one parrot vet in our town but they are on vacation right now :(
I found another vet who takes exotic birds (at least that's what's written on his site) but somehow I have bad feelings for him... a vet in all pets? I see he takes mostly dogs and cats...

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm sorry this doesn't seem to be getting any easier for you Rozzy :( In terms of the vet who says he takes all pets, he might be ok. Two of the vets who used to practice at the clinic near me, which is exclusively avian, worked there for a few years to get experience with birds, then moved to a more general practice where they take all kinds of pets, because they wanted to be able to help all pets, not only birds. But they are both excellent bird vets and I was very sorry to see them go! I'm just speculating and hoping for the best here, but perhaps that's what this fellow you found is doing too? Perhaps the poultry guy may be accustomed to dealing with large flocks and is not so confident with one little bird like Angela. Oh Rozzy, I wish I could be more help to you, and I'm so sorry you are going through this. Big hugs and much love to you and your special little girl! 💝 💝

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
transpo
I called and they don't take parrots either:confused:
If I were in your unfortunate situation and i believed my bird would probably die without treatment I would either try to get the far away avian vet to consult with me and treat my bird over the phone or I would read up on how to treat aspergillosis in parrots including which antifungal drug (diflucan perhaps) to use. Then I would attempt to acquire the drug from a non-avian vet, my personal physician, or even an aquarium fish store after explaining why I need it. Then I would take the tablets or capsules and prepare parrot doses of the drug (mg per kg of bird's weight) by crushing the tablets or opening the capsules and prepare parrot doses dissolving or suspending in water. Then I would administer it my beak with a syringe every recommended time interval. Of course there is no guarantee that the treatment would be effective but if your bird truly has advanced aspergillosis it is a very serious disease and fatal if not promptly treated so you would have nothing to lose by trying. Just my thoughts and what I personally would do. Good luck. We are praying for your beloved birdie!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
transpo
I called and they don't take parrots either:confused:
If I were in your unfortunate situation and i believed my bird would probably die without treatment I would either try to get the far away avian vet to consult with me and treat my bird over the phone or I would read up on how to treat aspergillosis in parrots including which antifungal drug (diflucan perhaps) to use. Then I would attempt to acquire the drug from a non-avian vet, my personal physician, or even an aquarium fish store after explaining why I need it. Then I would take the tablets or capsules and prepare parrot doses of the drug (mg per kg of bird's weight) by crushing the tablets or opening the capsules and prepare parrot doses dissolving or suspending in water. Then I would administer it my beak with a syringe every recommended time j. Of course there is no guarantee that the treatment would be effective but if your bird truly has advanced aspergillosis it is a very seriousf disease and fatal if not promptly treated so you would have nothing to lose by trying. Just my thoughts and what I personally would do. Good luck. We are praying for your beloved birdie

I hope my message got posted about treating Angela yourself.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Meantime I was reading about this disease, so far I haven't found details about how to threat (only that antifungal drug needed, probably people don't write details to go to a vet).
I know, this won't heal Angela but I removed possible objects which could cause aspergillosis (wood chips and reduced millet).
I was thinking about a vet in Warsaw again (tomorrow maybe it would be more possible because my dad has a free day... but I don't think that a person who hearing "Angela is sick" said "well, we will be having one bird less", would like to take me over 90 km to the vet...). Another thing - Angela is afraid of people. And it may be one of the reasons why she got sick and other fids not. In general she is the weakest bird of my flock and it could decide about her fate. But I read that stress makes birds weak too and she is stressed each time when we come close - even today while I was cleaning the cage she was so afraid. If she was breathing so loud because of it, idk what would happen during a vet visit with 1,5 hour journey in just one direction (not mentioning the capital city is noisy). If really the disease is already advanced, it means lower chance for healing her and such travel could make it harder because of extra stress... I'm just analyzing, maybe I overdo it... on one hand I feel terrible because everyone on a Polish group would scream "Go to the avian vet no matter what" (that's why I don't write there) but on another hand I feel sorry whenever I "scare" her...
I have to rethink...
It was posted, just as a quotation of LaManuka's post. Thanks for trying to help. I will consider it

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Fluconazole (diflucan) 5-15mg/kg every 12 hours by mouth according to an internet article for vets on treating aspergillosis in parrots. Treatment needs to be prolonged. Aspergillosis is an opportunistic infection in parrots with compromised immune systems, not in otherwise healthy parrots with a good diet per same article.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Fluconazole (diflucan) 5-15mg/kg every 12 hours by mouth according to an internet article for vets on treating aspergillosis in parrots. Treatment needs to be prolonged. Aspergillosis is an opportunistic infection in parrots with compromised immune systems, not in otherwise healthy parrots with a good diet per same article.
"Today's Veterinary Practice. Avian Aspergillosis: what every Veterinarian Needs To Know"

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Today I got an idea - I wrote to an avian vet and asked if there's an option of remote consultations explaining the situation (I read somewhere that some vets do it when the bird is too stressed and Angela belongs to such birds). Interesting if she will agree.

Update on Angela: I think her symptoms are weaker than earlier. I don't really see convulsions. I still can hear her breathing but it's not all the time. She keeps eating normally

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Me and the flock are hoping Angela recovers soon!

Most Reactions

Latest posts