Tickling an Amazon a Mating thing???

Feb 20, 2023
U.S.A.
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon (rescue)
Went to the vet for the first time with Chubby. They asked how Chubby & I are getting along.
I told them, “Great! I can handle him easy & no biting plus I can play with him like tickling him under his wings & belly!”
They said, “OH! That’s a “sexual” indication to him & he can possibly thing your his mate! It’s best not to do that! It can cause issues in the future with behavioral problems.”
What’s your opinion with this?

It just seems like Chubby & I are having fun when we do this. He grabs my hand while I do that & does the gentle nibbles on my hands. He laughs & has fun.

It’s difficult for me to think of the idea of stopping this because he & I enjoy the bonding experience.

What do you guys think of this?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The basic answer is yes, it can can cause future problems.

with a female you’re biggest concern is egg laying.
If you know you have a boy eggs aren’t a problem but behavior still can be.
If he sees you as his mate you two will probably have a great relationship but Chubby will be more likely to be aggressive to all other family members.

OP
Chubby The Amazon
Feb 20, 2023
U.S.A.
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon (rescue)
The basic answer is yes, it can can cause future problems.

with a female you’re biggest concern is egg laying.
If you know you have a boy eggs aren’t a problem but behavior still can be.
If he sees you as his mate you two will probably have a great relationship but Chubby will be more likely to be aggressive to all other family members.
Thank you for the reply.
If I didn’t want other people in my life, than this will be a great deterrent. lol

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I would discourage letting your Amazon think he is your mate at all costs.
This greatly frustrates a parrot as their sexual desires can never be met by a human and they do not understand that.
I would also keep in mind the possibility of meeting someone as having a bird that is bonded to you in this way could be very hard to deal with.

I only pet my parrots heads and neck as this is what another parrot would do on a friend to friend basis.

Sometimes, even if we discourage a pair bond, it’s still hard to prevent.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I pet Bingo on the back.
I think he tolerates it more than enjoys it.
When he is in a playful mood he will roll onto his back and I will tickle his tummy and. Beak wrestle with him.
I rarely mess with his arm pits LOL.

Bingo already hates my partner and that started more than 30 years ago.
He is not really any friendlier with my son but my son can move him around when necessary.
If Bingo could fly he would be a danger to my family members but I don’t think it’s because of the way he is handled now more due to poor socialization when he was young.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I pet Bingo on the back.
I think he tolerates it more than enjoys it.
When he is in a playful mood he will roll onto his back and I will tickle his tummy and. Beak wrestle with him.
I rarely mess with his arm pits LOL.

Bingo already hates my partner and that started more than 30 years ago.
He is not really any friendlier with my son but my son can move him around when necessary.
If Bingo could fly he would be a danger to my family members but I don’t think it’s because of the way he is handled now more due to poor socialization when he was young.
I’m able to pet my green cheek on the back too as he doesn’t get hormonal about it.
He also rolls in his back and expects me to touch his tummy while wrestling with my hand😅

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Please listen to the Amazon owners! Head and neck. THats it. Simulating your 'zon's sexual hot spots will turn on you. As has been noted, if he starts to think of you a "mate" and you dont reciprocate or slake his thirst for coitus, any number of things can happen. Amazons when they are in breeding season hormones are tough enough to survive. Why add fuel to the fire?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The difficult part of providing advice regarding Amazons and especially any of the Big Hot Three is that they 'can be' or themselves 'can be' stimulated into an out-of-season flow of hormonal chemicals and you are faced with a confused hormonal Amazon.

Living with a middle-aged Amazon, one must consider that life has a way of changing without notice! Example: Your are in a car crash, become ill, etc, etc, and a new owner is required. One's goal should always be, what is the best practice.

Our DYHA, Julio is the youngest Amazon that has ever taken over our home and are faced with that reality, as well. With him, our goals are his overall health and understandable interaction and when it is safe to interact and when it is best to avoid interactions.

Most Reactions