Tidy Tips

Hobs

Nov 9, 2021
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
As newish bird owners we thought we would reach out to the masses and learn from your trial and error over the years! What is the best cleaning/ mess remediation tips and tricks you have come up with?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We only feed dry foods to Salty when he is in his cage. Wet foods like chop he gets served to him on a free hanging boing/play chain. Cleaning up wet foods inside a cage is a tedious job! It also helps that he is not a flinger.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
user26447_pic16636_1467824954.jpg

Here is Salty's wet feeding station. We also have a office matt, the kind that goes under chairs in an office, under this too. Preserves the floor and is very easy to clean up. The bowl catches the majority of dropped foods.

OP
Hobs

Hobs

Nov 9, 2021
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
We only feed dry foods to Salty when he is in his cage. Wet foods like chop he gets served to him on a free hanging boing/play chain. Cleaning up wet foods inside a cage is a tedious job! It also helps that he is not a flinger.
That’s a great idea! Especially where our little “chop conureisseur” likes to eject anything he’s displeased by!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Vinegar mixed with water for safe, hygienic cleaning.

Vanishing commodity newspaper an easily placed barrier for floor cleanliness when feeding chop.

Large surfaces of flooring can be protected with carefully cut rolls of painter's plastic. I hang from upper floor deck for 48 hours, allowing outgassing before use.

OP
Hobs

Hobs

Nov 9, 2021
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
View attachment 32271
Here is Salty's wet feeding station. We also have a office matt, the kind that goes under chairs in an office, under this too. Preserves the floor and is very easy to clean up. The bowl catches the majority of dropped foods.
My boyfriend already ran to home depot and came back with two office matts for under the cage! That is sure to save our hardwood floors, I was getting a little worried about how much I was scrubbing that area.

OP
Hobs

Hobs

Nov 9, 2021
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
Vinegar mixed with water for safe, hygienic cleaning.

Vanishing commodity newspaper an easily placed barrier for floor cleanliness when feeding chop.

Large surfaces of flooring can be protected with carefully cut rolls of painter's plastic. I hang from upper floor deck for 48 hours, allowing outgassing before use.
How many parts vinegar to water? Does it not eat the metal? I know vinegar is a great cleaner for lots of things but I wasn’t sure with metal.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
How many parts vinegar to water? Does it not eat the metal? I know vinegar is a great cleaner for lots of things but I wasn’t sure with metal.
I'm more of "dump and pour" guy, roughly 2:1 ratio water to vinegar. Used on powder coated pages so no contact with base metal. I'd think it would corrode long term if directly exposed!

Most Reactions