Time spent in eating the treat during the training

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Rainbow Lories: Mathew & Mia 🤍
Hi,
I noticed that “Mathew” eats slowly. During the training, I give him either a chopped grape or pomegranate seeds as treat. The time spent in eating during the training is more than the time spent in the training itself. To move to the next step, I have to wait for around 50sec, or maybe more “I need to check the clock to make sure”, and because of this he loses concentration, gets bored easily and I lose patience. I don’t know what to do 🤷🏻‍♀️.
Thank you in advance

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Try switching to a nut based treat, like pine nuts or sunflower kernals. I cut pine nuts into 1/3's or even less. Makes for a quick reward, and training can move pretty quickly. Make training as varied and interesting as possible, to keep interest up.

OP
eman

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Rainbow Lories: Mathew & Mia 🤍
Try switching to a nut based treat, like pine nuts or sunflower kernals. I cut pine nuts into 1/3's or even less. Makes for a quick reward, and training can move pretty quickly. Make training as varied and interesting as possible, to keep interest up.
Wow really thank you! I think this will also minimize the amount of the cleaning after each training session.

Most Reactions