Time to fly again!

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
Hi all ~

So... my sweet CAG (aka Red Tailed Pine Parrot) decided to trade his feathered wings for forever wings about two months ago 😢

Bleu was an answer to prayers I didn't know I'd made, and a gift from whatever deities wear wings. He came to stay with me when I agreed to bird-sit while his person was away for a few months. Fortunately for Bleu and me, she decided she preferred life with just her G2.

Bleu and I had so much fun learning new things together! He arrived a quivering ball of dull grey fluff. A new diet, target training, lots of sunshine and 8 weeks later he was a new bird. It was all up and up from there.

I will cut to the chase and say, even the radical diet change and regular exercise, couldn't reverse many, many years of lousy diet (mostly people food and lots of nuts & fruit) and the damage it had done to his system. He finally - and rather suddenly - succumbed to congestive heart failure. Not uncommon in CAGs.

Lest this be a sob-fest, I am finally focused on moving forward. Eager for who and what is next, looking for my next bird buddy.

Beak up, wings out, landing gear up. Time to fly again!

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpeg
    IMG_0830.jpeg
    682.7 KB · Views: 53

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss of Bleu. What a gorgeous boy! So many of us here know that feeling all too well. Everyone deals with it differently, and there's no set amount of time to grieve. I'm happy that you're now in a place to make room in your heart for another feathered friend.

Looking forward to hearing your adventures with whoever ever you decide on, and more about Bleu if you wish to share. If I may ask, are you considering another grey, or a different species?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums Ldy_BlueBird, but I am so sorry for the terrible loss that brought you here. Bleu was a beautiful boy and I think he was very blessed to have found his way to you. I'm a big believer in what I like to call "The God Of Small Things With Wings" too, and I'm pretty sure that another precious soul will find his or her way to a loving parront like you when you are both ready. And I look forward to welcoming him or her here when they do. 💖

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, magnificent Bleu, until we all meet again 🙏

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am so sorry you lost this amazing bird. Thank you for sharing his story with us. I know it hurts to lose a pet, they feel like family.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hard way to be welcomed. I offer my sadness at Blu's passing, but its obvious you gave him a better life that what was before. All our feather babies leave a big hole when they leave. Its the memories that help fill it.

OP
Ldy_BlueBird

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
Welcome to the forums Ldy_BlueBird, but I am so sorry for the terrible loss that brought you here. Bleu was a beautiful boy and I think he was very blessed to have found his way to you. I'm a big believer in what I like to call "The God Of Small Things With Wings" too, and I'm pretty sure that another precious soul will find his or her way to a loving parront like you when you are both ready. And I look forward to welcoming him or her here when they do. 💖

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, magnificent Bleu, until we all meet again 🙏
I cannot tell you how much your kind, and oh-so insightful, words touched me. Made my eyes leak.

I agree with you, when the time is right, the perfect 🦜 will find his/her way to me -- just like Bleu did.

🙏🏻💖✨

OP
Ldy_BlueBird

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
Hard way to be welcomed. I offer my sadness at Blu's passing, but its obvious you gave him a better life that what was before. All our feather babies leave a big hole when they leave. Its the memories that help fill it.
They do indeed leave parrot shaped holes in our hearts.

The good news is hearts are made to be broken OPEN, and there are soooo many wonderfully shaped birds looking for hearts to fill. It's only a matter of time before the hole is fully of feathers again.

OP
Ldy_BlueBird

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
Welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss of Bleu. What a gorgeous boy! So many of us here know that feeling all too well. Everyone deals with it differently, and there's no set amount of time to grieve. I'm happy that you're now in a place to make room in your heart for another feathered friend.

Looking forward to hearing your adventures with whoever ever you decide on, and more about Bleu if you wish to share. If I may ask, are you considering another grey, or a different species?
Thank you, Bleu was such a treat. All the wonderful things CAGs can be and a just enough of the annoying things to be endearing and keep it real.

Looking back, realizing how sick he really was for at least the last 6 months, his transformation -- all of the things he learned and fears he overcame -- was truly incredible.

There is no doubt CAGs will always rein superior in my heart (as will huskies - interesting how similar in make up they are).

And... I've been considering an Amazon. From everything I'm learning they seem to be, as one person put it, more resilient, not quite so sensitive and prone to fears/phobias. Similar in their willingness - straight up eagerness - to learn new things, which is important after having a brainiac CAG.

I'm told Amazons seem to have a sense of humor, can be down right calculated and silly, which is very appealing. (I wouldn't say Bleu was stoic, but he did seem a bit like an over-educated Brit sometimes, lol.)

Amazon's laid back, not too busy or needy, demeanor is a perfect fit for me. I like the size - similar to CAG, so no need for new/different cages, carrier, etc.

Now it's just a matter of finding the right one.

Would LOVE a rescue/re-home, etc. for all the reasons we love to list. And.... oophf! What a 🥴😣😤🤯 scene.

I am open to suggestions and options!

Last edited:

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
**HUGE HUGS** Losing a beloved companion hurts no matter the species. I hope you find the right Amazon for you. They're a hoot, from what I hear from other Amazon slaves :D.

Most Reactions

Latest posts