Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Wow - 38 bags of chop, poof gone. Last bag tonight. It looks like that lasts about 2 months, for us. Salty get either thawed chop mixed with something ( Avicake, softened pellets, or rarely a finely chopped walnut) or a cooked item ( squash, sweet 'tater or pumpkin or baby food mixed with pellets) . It's time to go Chopping ! What I have been putting in:

Kale
Carrot
Carrot greens
Dandelion greens
Red, green and yellow pepper
Jalapeno, chile, habenaro and ghost peppers
Broccoli
Califlour ( diff type and colors if available)

All raw and uncooked, I've never tried adding cooked items - can you? Suggestions?

At any rate, its a fun way to spend the afternoon, Salty gets to be on the big kitchen table for this, other times he is banned.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
What exactly are you looking to cook? I add cooked grains (quinoa, rice,barley, take your pick), beans, among other things. What concerns do you have?

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Can you mix cooked and fresh stuff and then freeze them?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Yes find that any cooked items are best left to drain and cool before adding to the raw ingredients as that helps to reduce wetness.

Chris's suggestions are great btw. NB re beans allow enough time for soaking and then cooking. I started with a basic mix the other day and then divided it into two bowls and then each one got different final items to help achieve a bit of variation.
Happy chopping!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Cooked beans freeze and thaw well, though garbanzos survive their deep sleep a bit soft. Fruits are a bit less hardy, particularly those with soft flesh. If Salty likes melon seeds, they freeze nicely. Cranberries are about the worst as the outer shell turns to mush.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Salty gets fresh fruit for lunch every day, so none is in our chop. I'm adding edamame, Quinoa ( cooked) and a few other things. No Dandelion greens ( grrr) . Just got back, so a chop chop chopping I go.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Salty gets fresh fruit for lunch every day, so none is in our chop. I'm adding edamame, Quinoa ( cooked) and a few other things. No Dandelion greens ( grrr) . Just got back, so a chop chop chopping I go.

Do you feed a pellet that contains soy? If so go easy on the (cooked) Edamame (soy) beans, reading some conflicting stuff at the mo. How about some chard? :)

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Well 3-1/2 hrs later, we are 65 bags of chop richer. Edamame - only used maybe a cup and a half for the whole batch, that shouldn't be too much. I used quinoa for the first time - sorry them little buggers look weird when they sprout. 65 bags, frozen, should last about 3-1/3 months. Good practice bagging it up for when I become a major weed dealer. This batch turned out a lot drier then the previous one because I kept the green, red and orange peppers down, and put in more broccoli and cailflour, and thats a good thing. For those wanting to try making chop - make sure you have a good food processor - I burnt ours out last time. Salty, bon appetit'.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Btw - I do have a food processor, an ancient quisinart. Some how I found out the blade was recalled...if your processor has a riveted blade, go check their website to see if it's on the recall list. They will send a replacement free of charge.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I actually blew the motor out on our old one, making chop, so this batch was made with a brandy new one with a solid molded in main blade. Thanks for the heads up though, perhaps other members will find that info useful!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Btw - I do have a food processor, an ancient quisinart. Some how I found out the blade was recalled...if your processor has a riveted blade, go check their website to see if it's on the recall list. They will send a replacement free of charge.

I actually blew the motor out on our old one, making chop, so this batch was made with a brandy new one with a solid molded in main blade. Thanks for the heads up though, perhaps other members will find that info useful!

The gold standard for mixers/choppers is either a Vitamix or Blendtec. Brutally expensive but durable, there are specialty blades and slow speeds for more gentle treatment of food.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon

The gold standard for mixers/choppers is either a Vitamix or Blendtec. Brutally expensive but durable, there are specialty blades and slow speeds for more gentle treatment of food.

I have a Vitamix but never used it to chop things. I have the regular and the dry blade. What settings do you advise for chop making?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I have a Vitamix but never used it to chop things. I have the regular and the dry blade. What settings do you advise for chop making?

I have a Blendtec and use the grating blade in pulse-mode to chop firm veggies. TBH, I generally make chop from scratch by slicing and dicing the fruits and veggies with a standard sharp knife.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
FYI I add cooked and diced butternut squash and sweet potato to mine. Along with lots of other things. Some things are cooked, some not.

Gdp2016

Jul 4, 2016
Media
Parrots
Sonnie- Sun Conure
Pineapple Green Cheeked conure- Mango
Yellow Naped Amazon- Lola
My Lola and Mango love the chop I made. I give pellets and a little fruit in the morning and chop for dinner. I was afraid they may tire of it, but they haven't yet. Mango seems to love it more though! I found that one snack size bag, which was about a cup is good for two meals for my two.

Most Reactions