Tips for a smooth car journey

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
So . We have a date for albies leg band to come off . 5th August.

How can I make the car journey smooth and comfortable for him ?

This will be his 2nd longest trip in his little life, the first being a 2 and a half hrs journey when I brought him home.he did super well on this one but he was In a very small box that had a metal mesh on one side so it was pretty dark in it.

He's had a couple of short 15 minute trips to and from my mother in laws in his travel cage when we took him to sleep over when we went to Scotland.

This trip to the vets is gonna take about an hour and 20 minutes depending on traffic And my driving .

He's already comfortable with his travel cage as I keep it out all the time and he plays in it and on it and I also take him outside in it too .

Should I put food and water in it for him?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would consider covering the cage with a lightweight cloth in case the traffic might scare him, and to decrease the possibility of him getting carsick.

I would have the car at a comfortable temperature before you put him in it.

I’d belt him in or have his travel cage on someone’s lap.

I generally placed dry food in the travel cage and offered liquid water at rest stops or upon arrival.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have been very happy over the many years to have Road Warriors, Amazons that loved to travel from a few minutes to several days.

Your Parrot being comfortable with riding, whether for a very short trip or a bit longer trip is key. Some Parrots need to see what is going on as a means of being comfortable with the motion of the auto, whereas, other Parrots will want to be covered. Car Sickness is the key as too, which your Parrot prefers. So, get out there and drive around, it will not take long to define your Parrot's preference.

We commonly travel 1.5 hour trips and up to 3 hour trips without food or water for a Parrot that has food available at all times at home or where we are going. At the three hour point, we would have dry food available. Regarding water, that is problematic as motion common will have it spilling everywhere. Our Amazon, loves apples and for those trips that are over two hours, we will provide a bowl of apple slices.

Understanding that our Amazon is a solid 500 grams and 2 - 3 hours without water and food is easy for him. Your Parrot may need a moist source.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Thank you for the tips !

I'll go shopping for some grapes for his journey (although , fruit makes him really bitey so I'm not sure that's a good idea...maybe I'll get him some Cucumber!) And make him a nice bowl up of juicey things

He wasn't travel sick on the couple of journeys to and from my mother in laws , but is cage was on my lap so he could see, so maybe I'll do that for him .

Most Reactions