Tips for moving with a bird šŸ¦¢

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! šŸ‘‹ I am making this post because I need some advice on how to move with a bird. (I have a 6-7 month old male cockatiel named Kiko.)

We are moving houses on July 5th. We are not moving away somewhere far, our new house is around 15 min away from this one. I was just wondering if Kiko will have a hard time or go through any stress or anxiety during this time.

Will he be scared in the new house? (He hasnā€™t seen it yet.) This one time we took Kiko to a friendā€™s house and he seemed to be fine because we were with him. But will he be scared at night or something because his cageā€™s location has moved? Should I sleep with him in my room?

Will he go through any stress during this time? I heard that some birds get diarrhea or something when they go in a new house. :(

kikoā€™s cage is currently in the living room. It is where the hallway ends from the main door. Should I move his cage away somewhere like in my room so he wonā€™t get scared when we bring some bigger furniture and boxes down? He has been very confused and scared because we have been bringing big cardboard boxes in. Heā€™s also VERY scared of big things and starts freaking out.

Thanks to anyone who replies ā¤ļø šŸ¦

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have moved with birds many times! Usually itā€™s fine. If Iā€™m going to be carrying lots of boxes or moving lamps or vacuum cleaners or other scary things, I cover the cage with a sheet. I mist my birds with water if Iā€™m worried about heat.

My birds have been fine with moving and road trips. (I did have a rescue who seemed to think I was going to leave him behind, and tore his feathers out. That was terrible.) But otherwise I just cover the cages if itā€™s a busy day with strangers or lots of movement. My bird have rode beside me on a uhaul seat and not been fazed because they were with me.

The one thing Iā€™d be careful about in summer moving is your birds getting too much sun or too hot. I hope this wonā€™t be a problem for you as youā€™re with your parents and only going a short way. I like to have a spray bottle filled with clean water to mist my birds if Iā€™m worried about this. The evaporative cooling really helps and they are busy preening and not alarm-calling!

I hope you and Kiko manage this well and your new room and ā€˜digsā€™ are really nice! Good luck!

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
Hello! šŸ‘‹ I am making this post because I need some advice on how to move with a bird. (I have a 6-7 month old male cockatiel named Kiko.)

We are moving houses on July 5th. We are not moving away somewhere far, our new house is around 15 min away from this one. I was just wondering if Kiko will have a hard time or go through any stress or anxiety during this time.

Will he be scared in the new house? (He hasnā€™t seen it yet.) This one time we took Kiko to a friendā€™s house and he seemed to be fine because we were with him. But will he be scared at night or something because his cageā€™s location has moved? Should I sleep with him in my room?

Will he go through any stress during this time? I heard that some birds get diarrhea or something when they go in a new house. :(

kikoā€™s cage is currently in the living room. It is where the hallway ends from the main door. Should I move his cage away somewhere like in my room so he wonā€™t get scared when we bring some bigger furniture and boxes down? He has been very confused and scared because we have been bringing big cardboard boxes in. Heā€™s also VERY scared of big things and starts freaking out.

Thanks to anyone who replies ā¤ļø šŸ¦
I've not moved with a bird yet but just wanted to wish you a congratulations on the new house!

Most Reactions

Latest posts