Tips on how to transition to a new cage

Koni

Sep 26, 2015
Macedonia
Parrots
Koni (ring-necked parakeet)
I've had an IRN for about 5 years. He has lived in the same cage for all those 5 years. He's used to his old cage.

I bought a larger one a few months ago and he was really scared at first. Couldn't even get close to it.

I bring my IRN closer to the new cage every day and he keeps getting more and more used to it, but it's going extremely slow. It's been more than 3 months now and he's still scared to go near the new cage. As far as I'm aware most other parrots get used to a new cage in a few days.

I've added some familiar toys to the new cage. I'm trying to spend more time near the new cage with him so he can at least get somewhat used to it. If I add one of his favorite treats on top of the cage, he'll very slowly walk towards the cage, grab the treat, and run away. I've tried putting a treat in the bowls in the inside of the cage but he won't even try going in to get them.

So what are my options here? "Forcibly" putting him in the cage seems cruel. The new cage is much larger and it's definitely better than the old one. Every extra minute spent in the old smaller cage also seems cruel.

Should I move the new cage closer to the old one? Right now they're about 10 feet apart. The new cage is already placed where it should be forever (near a corner of the room). So if I move the new cage closer to the old one, which would be in the middle of the room, and my IRN gets used to the new cage being in that exact position, and later on I move the new cage back to where it's supposed to be, will he be scared of the moved cage? I'm thinking if I move the new cage after he gets used to it, he might get scared of the new cage again because it changed positions.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry to hear you are having this problem.

What we have done was to bring the new cage, still in its boxes and moved them closer to our Amazon's cage. A some point, our Amazon will walk over to the boxes and begin chewing on them, at that point, 'we' open the box and discover the new cage parts. Another day of box chewing and those bits find their way out of the home.

Over the next couple of days, 'we' all assemble the new cage, than install the base supply of food and water bowls and the primary perch and the next day, move the cage closer to his. Since he has already been climbing on it, the next stage begins.

At this point the new cage sits next to the old cage, i.e. he can climb from one to another with little more than a step across. This next stage is the transfer of the bits on the outside of the old cage to the new cage..

Followed by the transfer of the interior stuff, while clearing the old cage. By the end of the day, he has moved in. And, the next day its the taking apart of the old cage.

The important part of all this is that our Amazon is part of the process. Like he did it...

Not sure, but I think you could start at whatever point you would like, just remember to work at your Parrot's rate of accepted involvement. As you know, some of them can be a bit sensitive about change...

Hope that this helps...

Last edited:

patch

May 14, 2012
Parrots
Nanday mutation
This is a really great idea! I recently purchased a new cage and was wondering how to help my bird transition. I think having our birds watch as we build their new cage is a great idea. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Cycletim

Mar 22, 2020
Ventura, California
Parrots
Jasper Congo African Grey,
Grover Red bellied parrot RIP 10/20,
Red bellied parrot Rheya
We just did this today on our 11th wedding anniversary!!! Our grey is new to us as of 6 weeks ago. The new cage has been sitting assembled next to his for a month , loaded with toys and foragers that we introduced to him in his old cage and on his floor time.

During that month we would play with his new toys and put food in the bowl play in the water and change the cage newspaper. Anything to get him interested. 50% of the time he would come over and crawl inside and check of out even if it was just for a few minutes.

Today he wasn't thrilled with it but we removed his old cage and put the new one in the same spot : luckily there's plenty of room , his curiosity is getting the best of him and he has been climbing up and down it. We put some of old toys in it in the same spots. Although his new cage is much bigger and better, we put the basic front center and eating situations, new perches in the same places as the old ones. He is eating his entire dinner as I post. We also, kept his sleeping swing and put it in the same spot. We'll see how bedtime goes. Wish us luck!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sailboat's narrative is perfect, a slow process of acclimation. Ideally, you'd never have to "force" entry and subject a bird to a psychologically harmful experience.

Ephy

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Parrots
A 4 year old House Sparrow named Kiwi and a 22 year old dove named Baby
Sorry bit late, but
My Kiwi was very comfortable in his very first cage, but it was too small.

I bought a larger cage, he watched me build it but wouldnt go near it. I left in his room for weeks. He could see it every day.

Everyday, for weeks first thing in the morning, i would have to, be so careful holding his small cage with door open in front of, as well as, perfectly aligned with his larger cage with the door wide open.
I would put in his fav. Treats or toys but he preferred to stay in his own small cage. I would then close his small cage up again and head off to work, better luck tomorrow i hoped.

Kiwi was very young during this time and hated having to go back into his cage. If I wanted to get to work on time, there was no way I could let him out in the morning.
He is such a different bird now, (will be turning 6 this July, awwwww) and will easily go into his cage when I request. He alsl demands that I put him into his cage at bedtime, lol.

Anyways, finally one day while holding his small cage with door open, up to the larger open cage, he quickly hopped in and happily spent the day exploring and getting more much needed exercise.

Once i was home, he would come out, BUT, when it was time for bed, i never made him sleep in his new cage. This went on for months. Large cage during the day, small cage for bed

Then the magic happened,

My baby bird insisted on not only happily hopping into his large cage in the morning, but also flew happily (and on his own) into his large cage one night when we were getting ready for bed.

I wasnt sure at first, so I left both cage doors open for hours but nope....HE decided it was time to sleep in his new cage. I even placed him into his small cage, but he happily flew into his new cage. He was ready and made his decision

Fast forward 3-4 years later. I bought an even larger cage....and was worried (and prepared) to slowly get him accustomed to it.

He watched me build it. It sat in his room for less than 24hrs and he quickly claimed it as his own. I was so shocked and even more so proud of my little brave Kiwi.

He still love all his cages and will frequently use and enter all 3 at his leisure. His small cage is now, his emergency cage so i often practice with him to enter it on request. Since all his cages are in the room and available to him, he has no issues entering any of them.
I think this inflates his ego however, as he will puff up and dance his mating dance on all of them. Lol

If you have the room, let the bird adjust to the cage on his own terms. Continue to make it interesting with toys, food, rewarding his/her interest...but appreciate that it can and will take a long time. Please do not force it.
I also wouldn't immediately remove his comfort cage until he no longer has any interest in it for at least 1-2 weeks minimum.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you for an informative update! Time and patience far preferable to a rushed cage exchange. I am certain your experience will assist others who search for transitions and find this thread!

Most Reactions

Latest posts