To adopt or not to adopt..? :green:

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
I recently have been messaging a woman who has to rehome her Amazon. The bird is on an seed diet and loves banana chips. The more we have been talking the more I really wanted to help the bird. I spoke with my mom and she liked him too until, we learned he wasn't hand tame anymore. He has been aggressive towards his owner recently and my mom is nervous. That he would bite us and not really enjoy a bird like that. For me, I have trained many different animals and think maybe its hormonal as the bird is around 7? Along with missed body language cues.
He lunged at the cage bars in the video, I was sent too. There is just something about the bird, I still like.. I love underdogs and maybe that is the real reason.
He is handicapped and the owner said the behavior started when she moved a year ago.
Is this something worth getting into training? Nothing is guaranteed or set in stone. Just want advise from more expert people. :green:

( We do have a GCC and 2 Budgies. My brother has had a umbrella cockatoo in the past [his ex has the bird and kept his other one]. I worked professionally with horses and work with my dog that has behavior issues too. So, I love training animals and working with animals that are out of chances. However, this would be the biggest bird I worked with by myself)

Last edited:
OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
Also, lots of eye pinning and excitement displayed in the video. Before, he began to lunge at the cage bars! Just found out no blood has been drawn by the bird. He just isnt handled enough anymore.

All and any information will be greatly appreciated!
I am already studying Amazon behavior with the help of the forum and Youtube ��

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Boy, tough decision. I had a friend with a younger lesser sulfur crested that just couldn’t be brought under control. I’m one of the less experienced members here, but I would guess this isn’t all that rare:

Father Flannigan said there’s no such as a bad boy, but I’m not sure that applies to parrots.

Does the owner know the sex, and consider finding a breeder who will take him/her? That might be a happier ending for both you and the bird. BTW: What kind of Amazon?

A PostScript:

I worked with horses too (when dinosaurs walked the earth), and it ain’t the same thing!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you for considering this Amazon!

- Parrots have no natural reason to trust Humans! Humans must work daily to prove that we are worthy of their Trust!
- It is very possible for an Amazon to stop trusting a Human, if that Human has started providing a reason for the Amazon to not Trust Them... OR, someone else in the family is likely Abusing the Amazon...
- Amazons have very 'clear' Body Language structure and they EXPECT the Human to know and heed them. Failure to pick-up and understand their Body Language will very likely result in a bite!
- With Great Luck, in the Amazon Forum, you will find a light blue Thread at the top of that Forum, Titled: Understanding Amazon Body Language -or- something like that. Also, there is a Huge Thread Titled: I Love Amazons - ... That Huge Thread contains over thirty segments on the Loving and Living with Amazons.

We work with older Amazons that are commonly ill and commonly Abused. Fundamentally, last weeks trash with no want to every Trust another Human. From there we add several months of providing medication. At that deep dark point, we work at developing their Trust! At first, they slow a bit in their want to kill us. Then, they come to a point of kind of excepting us around them. And with an abundance of Love they find a place in their heart for us. When an Amazon comes from such a dark place, it is a true joy to understand that we have become owned by an Amazon. May You Come To Such A Place!

Changing one's Vantage Point is critical.
- Its Never The Fault of the Amazon!
- Its Always The Fault of the Human!
When you find that Vantage point, you quickly find what you are doing wrong and can correct it.

If you bring this or any Amazon into your life: You Start with Zero Expectations and no time lines what so ever...

Assure that you read for full understanding (like a first Language) the Understand Amazon Body Language Thread! Know their basic hardwired Body Language!!!

Provide this Amazon the 'time' to read you from afar, pick-up on your emotions and Body Language prior to approaching the Amazon. Give it space!!! Let it hear you taking to the current owner!!! Then with time, approach the Amazon. Find a chair near the cage and speak in a soft comforting voice. You may just find that this Amazon has an interest in you!

Must Know items!
- What is the Age of This Amazon?
- What is the Species of This Amazon?
- How long has this person had this Amazon?
- When did the relationship change?

NOTE: All Amazons fall under CITES Endangered Species Act with Amazons falling under Class 1 or Class 2. If three years or under, the seller must provide you a Hatch Certificate. If older than 3 years, you should obtain a clearly stated bill of sale including the age of the Amazon and that individuals contact information.

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
Boy, tough decision. I had a friend with a younger lesser sulfur crested that just couldn’t be brought under control. I’m one of the less experienced members here, but I would guess this isn’t all that rare:

Father Flannigan said there’s no such as a bad boy, but I’m not sure that applies to parrots.

Does the owner know the sex, and consider finding a breeder who will take him/her? That might be a happier ending for both you and the bird. BTW: What kind of Amazon?

A PostScript:

I worked with horses too (when dinosaurs walked the earth), and it ain’t the same thing!

I am not saying it is the same as a horse. However, the importance of being calm, reading body language, and respecting the animal. Is something that is valuable in any training standpoint. Not to mention when I have worked with many abused, neglected, aggressive, rehabilitation and sometimes dangerous horses. Horses also, are a lifetime commitment and I have seen many cases. That would break your heart. Anything and everything in my years with horses. Even the horses that wouldnt be under control or would look to change. That horse taught me more about how to respect and have a conversation. (Even people said that about my dog and that same dog now can go anywhere without a problem)

The bird was tame a year ago and that was before the owner moved. It is a male and he hasnt been getting enough attention from his current owner. He bites her when she comes to visit the bird ( it is kept at her parents house) She doesnt want him to go to a breeder and wants him in a loving home.

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
Thank you for considering this Amazon!

- Parrots have no natural reason to trust Humans! Humans must work daily to prove that we are worthy of their Trust!
- It is very possible for an Amazon to stop trusting a Human, if that Human has started providing a reason for the Amazon to not Trust Them... OR, someone else in the family is likely Abusing the Amazon...
- Amazons have very 'clear' Body Language structure and they EXPECT the Human to know and heed them. Failure to pick-up and understand their Body Language will very likely result in a bite!
- With Great Luck, in the Amazon Forum, you will find a light blue Thread at the top of that Forum, Titled: Understanding Amazon Body Language -or- something like that. Also, there is a Huge Thread Titled: I Love Amazons - ... That Huge Thread contains over thirty segments on the Loving and Living with Amazons.

We work with older Amazons that are commonly ill and commonly Abused. Fundamentally, last weeks trash with no want to every Trust another Human. From there we add several months of providing medication. At that deep dark point, we work at developing their Trust! At first, they slow a bit in their want to kill us. Then, they come to a point of kind of excepting us around them. And with an abundance of Love they find a place in their heart for us. When an Amazon comes from such a dark place, it is a true joy to understand that we have become owned by an Amazon. May You Come To Such A Place!

Changing one's Vantage Point is critical.
- Its Never The Fault of the Amazon!
- Its Always The Fault of the Human!
When you find that Vantage point, you quickly find what you are doing wrong and can correct it.

If you bring this or any Amazon into your life: You Start with Zero Expectations and no time lines what so ever...

Assure that you read for full understanding (like a first Language) the Understand Amazon Body Language Thread! Know their basic hardwired Body Language!!!

Provide this Amazon the 'time' to read you from afar, pick-up on your emotions and Body Language prior to approaching the Amazon. Give it space!!! Let it hear you taking to the current owner!!! Then with time, approach the Amazon. Find a chair near the cage and speak in a soft comforting voice. You may just find that this Amazon has an interest in you!

Must Know items!
- What is the Age of This Amazon?
- What is the Species of This Amazon?
- How long has this person had this Amazon?
- When did the relationship change?

NOTE: All Amazons fall under CITES Endangered Species Act with Amazons falling under Class 1 or Class 2. If three years or under, the seller must provide you a Hatch Certificate. If older than 3 years, you should obtain a clearly stated bill of sale including the age of the Amazon and that individuals contact information.

Thank you so much for this information! I truly appreciate it. That vantage point is something that I was taught with horses too.
Must Know Items:
He is 7
Yellow-shouldered amazon
7 years
a year ago

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA

A PostScript:

I am not saying it is the same as a horse. However, the importance of being calm, reading body language, and respecting the animal. Is something that is valuable in any training standpoint. Not to mention when I have worked with many abused, neglected, aggressive, rehabilitation and sometimes dangerous horses. Horses also, are a lifetime commitment and I have seen many cases. That would break your heart. Anything and everything in my years with horses. Even the horses that wouldnt be under control or would look to change. That horse taught me more about how to respect and have a conversation. (Even people said that about my dog and that same dog now can go anywhere without a problem)

The bird was tame a year ago and that was before the owner moved. It is a male and he hasnt been getting enough attention from his current owner. He bites her when she comes to visit the bird ( it is kept at her parents house) She doesnt want him to go to a breeder and wants him in a loving home.

I used to ride a horse that wouldn’t take anyone’s seat but mine. Someone got on her and forget it. An English ride:

Ultra sensitive to leg pressure, balance, mouth...you didn’t need the reins with her. Just your balance and leg pressure to tell her what you wanted. She was magnificent on the trail when I took out a group. Up and down the row of horses back and forth, stopped on a dime and within an inch, totally unaffected by other horses in her presence.

However, she would spook at a butterfly, and I mean spook BAD. When I saw trouble approaching, I would have to talk to her non-stop and prep her for the upcoming disaster. When she spooked anyway, I was ready and able to bring her right under control.

This horse was so bad with everyone that the owner wanted to GIVE her to me, but I was too young and didn’t have the resources.

Just telling the story because it’s kind of the same with parrots. Many folks were better riders and trainers than me (I didn’t know anything about training!), but I was the only one...and I’m not exaggerating...that this horse would stomach and bond to.

I miss you, Blossom.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Thank you so much for this information! I truly appreciate it. That vantage point is something that I was taught with horses too.
Must Know Items:
He is 7
Yellow-shouldered amazon
7 years
a year ago[/QUOTE]

7 years old! Great, your Amazon is a Adult!
And, as a Yellow-shouldered Amazon its a Class 2

If you elect to get this Amazon, and as stated in my above Post, ASSURE YOU OBTAIN: "If older then 3 years, you should obtain a clearly stated bill of sale including the age of the Amazon and that individuals contact information."

Another item. It is very possible that the current owner may have taken this Amazon to a Vet, if so, please have them provide a letter for you to have that Vet release the medical history to your Avian Professional!

If you choose to proceed, start looking for an Avian Professional in your area! You will want your Avian Professional to complete a 'New Parrot' full examination including a full spectrum blood screen!
Also, IMHO have your Amazon Microchipped to assure Ownership and lock in your Amazons Species and Age!!!

Welcome to a fairly large number of horse people hereabout! :D

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Whatever you decide, good luck!!! Have you found a certified avian vet in your area yet?

First visit will run you $400 to $500 which includes some lab tests (the cost in my area, anyway), but it’s worth it for the bird’s health and your peace of mind.

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020

A PostScript:

I used to ride a horse that wouldn’t take anyone’s seat but mine. Someone got on her and forget it. An English ride:

Ultra sensitive to leg pressure, balance, mouth...you didn’t need the reins with her. Just your balance and leg pressure to tell her what you wanted. She was magnificent on the trail when I took out a group. Up and down the row of horses back and forth, stopped on a dime and within an inch, totally unaffected by other horses in her presence.

However, she would spook at a butterfly, and I mean spook BAD. When I saw trouble approaching, I would have to talk to her non-stop and prep her for the upcoming disaster. When she spooked anyway, I was ready and able to bring her right under control.

This horse was so bad with everyone that the owner wanted to GIVE her to me, but I was too young and didn’t have the resources.

Just telling the story because it’s kind of the same with parrots. Many folks were better riders and trainers than me (I didn’t know anything about training!), but I was the only one...and I’m not exaggerating...that this horse would stomach and bond to.

I miss you, Blossom.

Those are the best horses in my opinion. They teach you a lot about being a better rider and person. Thank you for sharing that story.

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
Whatever you decide, good luck!!! Have you found a certified avian vet in your area yet?

First visit will run you $400 to $500 which includes some lab tests (the cost in my area, anyway), but it’s worth it for the bird’s health and your peace of mind.

Yes, I actually have a few locally to choose from. Which is a blessing.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would be worried about the extensive quarantine and behavioral issues this might present to your other birds. If they don't get along, do you have enough time to allow each bird separate out-of-cage time? If you don't, it may not be smart to take the plunge. An aggressive/ angry bird can easily kill a smaller bird---it can happen so fast and over silly things too. There are those on this forum who have lost birds due to a simple spat over something minor. Constant vigilance will be key (following a lengthy quarantine period).

Last edited:
OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
I would be worried about the extensive quarantine and behavioral issues this might present to your other birds. If they don't get along, do you have enough time to allow each bird separate out-of-cage time? If you don't, it may not be smart to take the plunge. An aggressive/ angry bird can easily kill a smaller bird---it can happen so fast and over silly things too. There are those on this forum who have lost birds due to a simple spat over something minor. Constant vigilance will be key (following a lengthy quarantine period).

I do have a quarantine room and time to give each separate out of cage times. Along with training time. I would do well over a month quarantine(longer the better)
Thank you so much for advice. As this was another thing my family and I were discussing. Yes, I want to help another bird and owner. But, I also must think about the ones I currently have now. Which are my babies!!
This bird was in a house with one other bird. But, still the size difference nothing is going to be taken for chance.

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
I dont know if I mentioned this before but, he is missing some toes. So, Im still figuring out how I would ask him to step up or a training perch. Maybe make a flat surface one?

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
I dont know if I mentioned this before but, he is missing some toes. So, Im still figuring out how I would ask him to step up or a training perch. Maybe make a flat surface one?

Do you know the back story on the toes?

I brought a lovebird once to the vet to clip his nails. I was afraid to quip him.

The vet was teaching an assistant...she did it while he “supervised”...and she cut two of his toes off.

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020

I brought a lovebird once to the vet to clip his nails. I was afraid to quip him.

The vet was teaching an assistant...she did it while he “supervised”...and she cut two of his toes off.

She said it was when he was younger and it was from his mom

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
He has likely adapted to this, and won't have problems.. hsveva few wide not completely flat offer the best non pressure points for birds. The curve is more restful than flat. Just the mail and first joint curved on s wife perch. As well as different sizes. Then observe what is his favorite add those in high traffic perch places.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA

She said it was when he was younger and it was from his mom
That’s good. So no trauma involved.

Mine balanced fine hand-held. He was still able to squeeze the fingers with just two toes on the front.

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
Anyone have any other questions, I should ask?
I think this bird would be a good fit. I will definitely have to get a vet check work up done.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Find out the last time he had blood work, the vet he sees and see if he has been tested for any diseases (and if so, when).

Most Reactions

Latest posts