To Be or Not To Be??

CorpsmanWife0

Nov 4, 2012
Clifton Springs, NY
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Tessa, 4 y/o
Okay Parrot Forum, I have a dilemma that I would appreciate some advice with. A friend of my family has a 6 Year old Congo African Grey, Tessa, that is in need of a good home. This friend is my uncles 75 year old mother. They have had this bird since she (DNA sexted) was 1 year old and it isn't really attached to her or her husband. Her husband handles Tessa about 20 mins a day and that is all. I know CAG need way more time out of the cage than that and I could provide a soild 3-5 hours each day. Tessa hasn't ever plucked but she is developing a shrieking behavior (this is part of the reason they are giving her up). I have read tons on CAGs and most articles say that CAGs that are not handled or socialized enough will develop shrieking behavior. From what she has told me when Tessa shrieks they just put her cage in their pantry (in the dark!) because the noise it too much for them. Besides her basic needs (food, water, clean cage) Tessa is living a miserable life. If I take in this bird I am committing to giving her a better quality of life (nutritious diet, spaceous cage, vet care, and lots of love and attention) for the rest of its life. So my question is do you think Tessa, with lots of patience, can overcome her shrieking behavior and actually enjoy life? Or do you the negligence she suffered will affect her forever? Do you have any tips that will help her acclimate to her new life?

Thank you :grey:

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
I think this bird could make a wonderful pet, but you have to expect changes to happen very slowly. Greys can be very slow in changing their ways. But as she is relatively young-she has a lot of life ahead of her. Take things slow, go at her pace, what she is comfortable with. Start your interactions by expecting and demanding very little=just talk and offer treats if she is comfortable in your presence, and work your way towards touching and stepping up as she is ready. Look into clicker training. Go slow with her changes in her physical environment-some greys freak out with anything new in the cage. But gradually introduce her to some toys-look up shredding and wood toys as they seem to be ones greys generally like. Oh, and phone books.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Hi there. How old is Tessa now? How does she behave with you? Will she step up on you an play with you?
If you decide to take her you'll change her life and vice versa she'll change yours. Hopefully in a good way.
Wish you good luck with her.

OP
C

CorpsmanWife0

Nov 4, 2012
Clifton Springs, NY
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Tessa, 4 y/o
Hey, I was told that Tessa was 6 but when I went to pick her up, I figured our she is closer to 4. She was a little weary of me at first, flufflying up when I came near the cage and backing up a little, but as I talked to her she lowers her feathers. I brought her home Saturday morning and she is doing well. The first day I just spoke to her and fed her treats through the cage. Today I just opened the door and let her decide to come out or not and she chose to climb up to her playstand on top. She was okay just chirping and eyeing me up. She finally took a treat from me on top of the cage. But she is quite weary and a bit skittish. My phone went off and it was louder that I realized and she flutter to the floor. She did let me pick her up and put her back on her playstand. Other than that I've been just trying to earn her trust without over doing it. I'm spending 30 mins at a time with her because she is not used to constant attention and I don't want to over whelm her. On the 2nd I'm going to take her to the vet to get her fully checked out and get her wings clipped, I'm avoiding touching her because Im afraid she with fly into a wall and get hurt.

Most Reactions