To smell or not to smell

jvanatta

Jun 11, 2013
Ok i need an answer fast! my parrots are out of the house for a week b/c im going to florida tomorrow and i need to know if its safe to spray frebreez in there today? will its toxicity go away after a week
:green2::yellow2::green1::yellow1::green::blue2::white1::blue1: <------- P.S. These are adorable

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If you are asking...will they be able to tell if you used it when you are not supposed to.....possibly...depends on how good their smell capabilities are.....

If the problem is an odor you want to mask until they get home, you might want to remove the cause of the odor, because febreeze is probably not going to mask any odor that long, though its scent may remain residual.....

Good luck.....

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
~SI female eclectus: Nalani~
~pineapple.turquoise GCC: Layla~
I would say that the "smell" should dissipate in a week. But the residue left from the spray would still be on the fabric of your couch, floor, curtains, etc. if your bird were to nibble or chew on any of the fabric I don't think it would be very safe. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Why not try some holistic air fresheners that don't contain the chemicals that fabreeze has. It's cheap and you can make some at home using water, spray bottle and essential oils. Here's a few links that can help. The key is to use organic, grade A oils with no chemicals or additives in the oil. Make sure to dilute the oil, and personally I wouldn't spray it on the birds or when the birds are there. But if you want "air fresheners" that won't leave harmful residue on your birds. This may be a good option for you.

http://www.examiner.com/article/all-natural-air-fresheners

http://www.essentialbird.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14:-safe

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Use Glade Plug-ins while gone for the week and when you return, remove them from the room. The scent will be gone within an hour or so.

Dacombe

Aug 13, 2011
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot, Rupee
You could try some bird/pet safe air freshener if frebreeze turns out to be toxic. We have some that is supposedly safe for birds... it has a budgie on the bottle. I don't use if often though, just in case.

Most Reactions