Toby the Eclectus + Fruit = HORMONAL!

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
We've had a nasty round of hormonal behavior from our 4yo male Eclectus and I am convinced that it is due to the fruit I've been adding to Toby's chop. He is crazy for raspberries, blackberries and blueberries so I had been just a couple to his veggies everyday. I wanted him to be "happy", right?

The instant Toby would get up in the morning he would squawk at the windows and flap his wings like he is going fly right through one of them. He was hardly responsive to me. Would not train. Later in the day he would give up on trying to find a mate and start humping his toys. No foraging. Not much eating until evening when he'd finally gobble up his dinner. I was getting very worried how all this would effect his overall health.

After reading posts here about fruit and hormones, I decided to cut out the berries completely for 2 weeks. He is much, much better. It only took 3 or 4 days for his behavior to change. He eats his breakfast. He enjoys training. He plays with his toys appropriately. We spend quality time together training and just hanging out a few times a day.

So, just wanted to share our experience. One little package of frozen organic mixed berries was a big mistake.

Last edited:

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
wow I never heard about a bird getting hormonal because of a fruit

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
good thing you found your mistake and stopped it

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
It’s one thing to see it, it’s a whole other ballpark to experience it. Now you see what we go in and on about. Ekkies are special!

It’s important to note that cutting fruits can only help hormonal controls to the extent they were making them worse to begin with. Cutting fruits won’t touch any base level hormonal rush you’re experiencing.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
wow I never heard about a bird getting hormonal because of a fruit

Eclectus are very different with their diets and breeding behaviors. Too much Sugar (which includes fructose in fruits) can make them hormonal.

In other parrots, it can make naturally occurring/already present breeding behaviors worse, but in ekkies it can bring them into breeding mode to begin with.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
MDChrisEclectus are very different with their diets and breeding behaviors. Too much sugar (which includes fructose in fruits) can make them hormonal.

In other parrots, it can make naturally occurring/already present breeding behaviors worse, but in Trekkies, it can bring them into a breeding mode, to begin with.
Well my birds don't eat fruit so i never dealt with hormonal parrot

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Eclectus are very different with their diets and breeding behaviors. Too much Sugar (which includes fructose in fruits) can make them hormonal.

In other parrots, it can make naturally occurring/already present breeding behaviors worse, but in ekkies it can bring them into breeding mode to begin with.
I didn't know that, thanks for this info! It's very interesting..

Most Reactions

Latest posts