Tofu is hurt....

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Today i went to see the birds and noticed that tofus eye got hurt which is most definitely because of sky and tofu fighting I don't know what to do I added a bit of flour to stop the bleeding ( there was a teeny tiny bit) I told my mother that I wanna go to the vet ( even though I'm gonna pay) she said still said no, do you have any advice on what I should do I'm scared that some bacteria will get in and cause an eye infection.

@DonnaBudgie
Here's a pic
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-15 at 17.01.03.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Today i went to see the birds and noticed that tofus eye got hurt which is most definitely because of sky and tofu fighting I don't know what to do I added a bit of flour to stop the bleeding ( there was a teeny tiny bit) I told my mother that I wanna go to the vet ( even though I'm gonna pay) she said still said no, do you have any advice on what I should do I'm scared that some bacteria will get in and cause an eye infection.

@DonnaBudgie
Here's a pic
View attachment 48356
I hate to give non-expert treatment advice but judging from the picture I don't see an obvious injury that needs treatment. She looks really good. Do you think her eyeball was scratched or just her eyelid? If it's the eyeball I would push harder for the vet because untreated it could get infected and cause blindness. If it's the eyelid area, an antibacterial ointment like Neosporin probably can't hurt but would be difficult to apply without making a greasy mess of her feathers and would probably be unnecessary because she looks really good. I would NOT put anything in her eye because Neosporin isn't supposed to be put in the eye- that would be for a vet. Little eyelid scratches will heal well all by themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I hate to give non-expert treatment advice but judging from the picture I don't see an obvious injury that needs treatment. She looks really good. Do you think her eyeball was scratched or just her eyelid? If it's the eyeball I would push harder for the vet because untreated it could get infected and cause blindness. If it's the eyelid area, an antibacterial ointment like Neosporin probably can't hurt but would be difficult to apply without making a greasy mess of her feathers and would probably be unnecessary because she looks really good. I would NOT put anything in her eye because Neosporin isn't supposed to be put in the eye- that would be for a vet. Little eyelid scratches will heal well all by themselves.
If your budgies fight enough to draw blood you should probably give them separate cages right next to each other, especially since your mom won't let you take an injured bird to the vet.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I agree if they are fighting they need separate cages ASAP. Budgie girls can and  will kill each other over arguments.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Thanks for your response, no it's just the eyelid here's a clearer pic, it used to be much redder I'm afraid it looks swollen compared to the other eye.
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-16 at 10.10.12 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-16 at 10.10.12.jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-16 at 10.10.12 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-16 at 10.10.12 (1).jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 24
OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
I agree if they are fighting they need separate cages ASAP. Budgie girls can and  will kill each other over arguments.
Yeah, but the problem is if I get another cage it would be much smaller than other's cage( because my mom won't let me get a cage that is 130) so it would be unfair, and even when I separate them and I put them beside each other tofu freaks outs and wants sky because shes really bonded to her and loves her.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thanks for your response, no it's just the eyelid here's a clearer pic, it used to be much redder I'm afraid it looks swollen compared to the other eye.
View attachment 48369
View attachment 48372
I think your pretty girl is going to be fine. Her eye and eye area looks normal. Even if it's a little puffy I wouldn't worry. You need to keep a close watch on how they interact. Usually female budgies are very able to defend themselves against aggression by other budgies but she may be more docile than most. Just watch them and separate them if aggression escalates.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yeah, but the problem is if I get another cage it would be much smaller than other's cage( because my mom won't let me get a cage that is 130) so it would be unfair, and even when I separate them and I put them beside each other tofu freaks outs and wants sky because shes really bonded to her and loves her.
I'm just talking about a temporary sleeping size cage to keep her in when you can't supervise them so it can be small.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Ok, I will do that, thanks for your advice.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
If they're drawing blood I truely doubt they are bonded. Tofu is probably just anxious and not used to being away from other budgies.
They can certainly have supervised out of cage time, so personally I'd opted for the smaller cages over risking serious injury.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Oh well tofu tries to mate with sky all the time.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Oh well tofu tries to mate with sky all the time.
Is sky a male or a female?
A female budgie doesn't generally "try" to mate because they are on the bottom when they do the "humpty dance" so I'm not sure how they would "try" other than to lift their tail and lower their head.
What are you observing, exactly?

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
They're both females they both have very brown ceres here's a video
of what I mean by trying to mate

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
I know its quite confusing...

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I know its quite confusing...
It is a bit strange for a female to try to "mount" another female but it happens. How long have they been acting like this? Since their ceres are both brown they are both mature females and they are both in breeding condition. I would watch them carefully because females in breeding condition can be very aggressive toward other females. You really need to get a second inexpensive cage (try Craigslist type sources for used cages) and have it handy to separate them when they start fighting because they can seriously hurt each other. I hate to see one of them get badly injured. Maybe they will calm down after a while. When they become less hormonal their their ceres will get lighter in color and they may be less aggressive.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Ok i will get one as soon as possible.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Ok i will get one as soon as possible.
Remember that in the wild when two birds fight they can fly away from each other. As captive birds they can't and it's very stressful for them to have no escape. As bird owners, as with any pets, it's our responsibility to separate the fighters. I know you will do the right thing. Don't worry about them calling for each other if you put them in separate cages. Put the cages close together so they can enjoy each other's company without drawing blood.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Great.

Most Reactions

Latest posts