Too sad for words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
I am very sorry for your loss :( It's a long road to even come close to healing after such a loss, and you never truely get over it.... My prayers are with you, and while it is too soon to think about now, there will eventually be a bird whom you will love differently but just as deeply. Give it time, my thoughts are with you....

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I can't imagine losing not 1 but 2 babies! So so sorry for Pi and kitten :(. How very tragic!

freya

Sep 6, 2011
Parrots
Basil CAG
A very sad day and condolences for your loss.

Re the puppy.
Without seeing and handeling the pup its difficult to tell if his behaviour was normal puppy mouthing and then over excitment leading to the kill or deliberate hunting.
A pit , full name pit bull terrier and its the last part thats the clue, terriers are bred to hunt, they are doing whats natural and we dont want them to.

If anything can be learned from this its that we all have to be careful when we have multiple pet households..
Although in this case it was a freak accident and no fault to darkling, most times this kind of accident is due to us humans being careless or trusting our 'babies ' too much.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Sorry for your loss. :( I can't imagine what that must have felt like.

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
I don't think I plan on posting on this anymore... it was not handled correctly at all.

I have two Pitbulls, you should probably do some research before talking about how it was just "Acting like a pitbull". They do not have a high prey drive, it's the same as almost any other breed, and less then retrievers and hunting dogs. They are known for other dog aggression. They have one of the lowest bite rates amongst children, and when temperament tested with cats they will usually only chase/play with the cat.

Has this dog ever been around cats or birds? If not, why the heck was it in an apartment with both? Would you take your bird and cat to the pound and let them in the kennels with dogs you didn't know? Of course not. The situation isn't the breed or the dogs fault, it's the owner for not socializing the dog properly and yours for letting it around your other animals. My dogs have been raised around my birds, and are perfectly fine with them yet I still shut the door to any room with a bird in it at night. It's just asking for trouble. My Pitbulls snuggle with my cats, in fact I have pictures of my cats sleeping in kennels with the dogs.

I can not believe you punched a poor dog for your mistake. Putting your hands on an animal in that situation is never recommended, and you could have gotten yourself severely injured. The golden rule is voice command, then intervene with water, and last you use another object to try to separate the animals. People get mauled yearly for intervening with animal fights and they could always be prevented.

This entire thing was handled incorrectly, and to blame a breed is the biggest cop out ever. People dislike the breeds because they have done 0 research and believe the hype. Then they do stupid things like letting their animals loose with a dog they've never met, putting their face near a dog, letting their kids play with strange dogs, breaking up fights.

I feel bad that this happened but it was 100% preventable, and 100% not handled correctly.

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
AKC Breeds by Group - Terrier Group

As it mentions they have low tolerance for other dogs, and were once bred to kill vermin. These dogs are not bred for hunting these days, I don't know how many people have seen a Scottish or Airedale hunting lately. It's essential that these dogs are socialized correctly with cats, other dogs, and people. This is why research is important, and you should never let another persons animal around your own pets... especially different species of pets. Not to mention you should have complete background information including acclimation techniques.

(There are some hunting Airedales but it's not very common. People stick with Pointers and Retrievers)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Certain breeds will go after birds cause it's their natural instinct! I've owned 5 huskies in my life time. ALL of them goes after birds and have the hunting instinct! EVEN when I raised them around birds and taught them NOT to touch birds as little puppies, they still do it! I had a pair of sister huskies once, they killed a live wild rabbit at 3 months old. I did not promote nor do I want them to do anything like that, but they just do. I just watch for my other animals around them cause I really love the breed. But the two huskies I have now learned NOT to mess with the macaw, he's the king of the household. He feeds the dogs and the dogs kisses him and he kiss them back. He bit both of them when they were puppies so they remember he give a nasty bite. Will I leave them alone together without supervising them? NEVER!

It is a instinct that people have like what darkling did to save her kitten. I know it's not the right thing to do, but it's not something to blame her about. It's a natural instinct! My partner have done this and got hurt because of it when intervine two dogs fighting. I dunno how many times I've told my partner to NEVER go inbetween them cause you will get hurt, but it's instinct! Especially when the other dog or animal is small and easily killed! When the two pit jumped my Chihuahua, of course I would go after them. Who wants to watch their own dog get mauled? BUT the thing is I know exactly how to approach them to get them to back off. I was able to save my dog from being killed. These were strays, we were NOT in their yard!

But I do have to agree to NEVER leave a new animal unattended around your own pets, it is unsafe! I don't even leave my dogs unattended with any of my other animals cause I just plain don't trust them. They weren't raised around cats, they came later. My cats have all their claws IF one were to get loose to go after them. Which it happens from time to time. But I am right there with them holding the dogs back. All I have to say is NO, the dogs back down.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I think this should be closed, its about to go nowhere really quick... A dogs a dog. This could have happened with any breed... And I also would have punched the dog in the head. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts