Kaya

Aug 19, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Wispy (Cinnamon green cheek conure)
Rhea & Thor (Sun conure siblings)
Pheonix (Dusky lory)
Aslan'akai (Alexandrine)
This time I let Pheonix, my dusky lory have his first flights outdoors. He scared the hell out of us when he flew so high and far away. Unfortunately we didn't get all of his big flight on film. He was up high for sometime before we started filming.
It was the best flight any of my birds have done so far.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiHeh96xjUw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiHeh96xjUw[/ame]

I also flew Rhea, my sun conure for the second time ever. And of course wispy the green cheek.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UTQmWJir4Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UTQmWJir4Q[/ame]

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Good job getting your birds recall training done!!!! I'm just too scared to try it here....too many predators around.....

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet! Thank you for sharing these videos, Kaya! Your recall with your flock is obviously quite strong. The flight from that first video would've scared the heck out of me, though! Lol! That was an amazing flight!

OP
Kaya

Kaya

Aug 19, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Pheonix (Dusky lory)
Aslan'akai (Alexandrine)
Actually its funny because my dusky has like, no recall at all. He just has a very strong flock bond with both me and our other birds, and he understands that he has to come back to the car/ cage/us.

If I try to call him to me he only comes about 50% of the time. If hes playing with toys or sitting on someone else he never flies to me. He pretty much only comes on command when hes hungry.

But you have to understand that I raised him from 5 weeks old and he basically doesn't feel comfortable unless hes sitting on someone. He also doesn't feel comfortable being away from the other birds. This is why he stays close.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow. No wonder you were so nervous. I wouldn't have risked it even with recall at only 90%! I'd have been scared out of my mind!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
It's so nice you have such open space with no hawks around. I cannot even think of letting birds out here near Chicago where we have more hawks than sparrows and cars all over the place. :) My conure is clipped, but he can fly okay - I just cannot let him fly too far away. :) We had him outside too today and he loved it. When he got hungry he just flew back to his cage in the house. :D

OP
Kaya

Kaya

Aug 19, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Pheonix (Dusky lory)
Aslan'akai (Alexandrine)
Actually we have been seeing a hawk almost every day lately. I never saw them at first. Its almost like they have figured out our schedule now and know we will be flying there every morning.
We just move spots when we see them though. We usually drive out half an hour to an hour to find good locations to fly; I live in the suburbs as well.

Heres another two more flights from Pheonix:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBZua2S27r8"]Dusky lory freeflight - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
You can really see how much Phoenix enjoys that flight time! There's just nothing like watching a bird in flight. Sweet!
Just be careful with those hawks, Kaya. Especially if your birds' recall isn't that strong. But at least there are two of you out there to watch the sky for any signs. (The camera person)

OP
Kaya

Kaya

Aug 19, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Pheonix (Dusky lory)
Aslan'akai (Alexandrine)
I never fly by myself, and even more important than the camera person is the other birds I have with me. Every time there's a hawk the birds see it long before we do. I usually always know if theres a hawk around by watching the birds body language.

Most Reactions

Latest posts