Toucan's

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
Besides being expensive, does anyone know anything about Toucan's, has anyone ever had one or know someone who does?

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I have no personal experience with them. Their diet seems to be controversial as to whether it is easy to obtain. That would be my biggest concern.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Toucan's, are a very special Avians and they have very special diets that result in their having the ability to target their Poop! When just Pooping, they seem to have a joy in targeting walls and near everything that is either expensive or likely to be stained by their deposit. Non-approved Humans as well. Their diet is heavy on the fruit side and can be expensive depending on time of year and were one lives. Clean-up is time consuming and can become overwhelming.

They are enjoyable Parrots and have a great personality and yes they are expensive and require the availability of an Avian Medical Professional.

Commonly, it is better that the Human have extensive experience with mid to large Parrots and does not live in an Apartment.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
In addition, toucans can NOT be kept with other birds. They are not as social as parrots and will kill birds smaller than them. They kill bats and birds smaller than them in the wild and consume them. They need to be kept with toucans the same size as themself or alone. "Supervised" time with small non-toucan birds shouldn't be done either.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
im very down on toucans in hobbiest aviculture.

A species I’ve contemplated and rejected. Too expensive overall. Too high maintenance overall. Too experimental overall - especially for the price paid.

The diet is virtually made up in captivity, we don’t know much about it. We THINK we have what an idea of how to avoid iron storage disease via diet, and birds die prematurely of iron storage disease that had been on apparent low iron diet.

They don’t belong in captivity with non-zoological owners.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Marlene McCohen on Youtube has several vids about keeping them. In addition to the very valid points above, it should be noted that their beaks are totally unlike parrot types because the edges of theirs are serrated, and a bite from them actually SAWS through flesh easily. Temperament is also unlike most parrots, with little known about body language etc. IMHO not a bird that lends itself homegrown aviculture, best left to zoos and species preservation activities.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Marlene McCohen on Youtube has several vids about keeping them. In addition to the very valid points above, it should be noted that their beaks are totally unlike parrot types because the edges of theirs are serrated, and a bite from them actually SAWS through flesh easily. Temperament is also unlike most parrots, with little known about body language etc. IMHO not a bird that lends itself homegrown aviculture, best left to zoos and species preservation activities.
Marlene McCohen despite her best efforts had a toucan die due to diabetes.
I think the feeling was that the fruit sold in stores to us people type (not counting organic) have been modified over time to be sweeter. This extra sugar is not good for them.
search out the above mentioned YouTuber and watch her trials with her toucan.

Most Reactions

Latest posts