May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hi, I have Tourette?s syndrome, a really werid hallucinating disorder, and well as two budgies. My tics/tic attacks can get in the way of taming/bonding. Wondering if anyone has tips? They are used to most of my tics by now, but every once in a while a new tic will arise and they freak out. Thanks!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
From what I understand, some (not all) aspects of Tourette's can be reduced by controlling anxiety (I know it's not purely an anxiety/stress disorder, BUT those I know with it say that stress tends to bring on the tics with greater frequency). I wish I could help more! If it helps, I have brought my parrot around kids with extreme autism (screaming at the tops of their lungs) BUT because she's with me and gets my general "vibe"/feels that she can trust some of them for whatever subconscious reason, it works-- at the same time, if she is around seemingly calm people (with or without autism) with a different energy (still with me) she will not trust- does that make sense?

The best thing I can think is to come up with a mantra/ritual that you repeat out loud if you know it is coming/before it comes-- as a filler or (possible, but unlikely)replacement--easier said than done...I know...But like...saying a scripted line instead (over and over) until you can put your bird down..Even if it is odd, if you are able, it could help with predictability and no matter what, they will know how you feel in terms of stress/calm (even if you seem outwardly calm) so it can really help to actually be *calmish*-- It could be a line from any show-- it doesn't have to be "calming" it just has to give them and you something everyone can predict (not saying it will work for you, but it might be worth a shot?)--It could be something like "one two buckle my shoe, 3 four close the door"**again, it's just to keep your mind focused on something else**

Here is a link to a medical website/review discussing the suppression of tics- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6733613/

I do think that your birds will become used to this if your general vibe is calm, as long as it doesn't cause you to flail while they are on you.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome!

Not knowing the nuances of the situation and what’s happening in the moment it all happens, it sounds like it’s more an issue of simple habituation and desensitization over time. I suspect that, handled with patience and a gentle guiding hand, the more often they are exposed to new tics, the less of an issue it will be.

Basically, it could take care of itself.

You can help it along by working with them on other scary things that arent tics - new objects for example. If they are touch phobic, work on overcoming the fear of touch. The more you work with them on overcoming fear of new things/sounds/experiences, the less it’ll be an issue for you and the easier they can move past any new tics that arise.

Wishing you the best of luck!

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
noodles123: thank you, I have tried that but it turned into a new tic β€œbaked beans” lol, also I am good at suppression, but when I stop, I have a tic attack
Chris-md: I am working on them with desensitization to falling books, firecrackers, new objects, and other things, as they arent your typical scared of everything bird.
I guess I’m just unsure of how to form a REALLY GOOD bonuses with them.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
noodles123: thank you, I have tried that but it turned into a new tic ?baked beans? lol
Chris-md: I am working on them with desensitization to falling books, firecrackers, new objects, and other things, as they arent your typical scared of everything bird.

I am sure you have tried this- but JUST IN CASE....have you tried medication? (EEEEEK) I know that sounds SOOOO irritating if you have, but not everyone does--- I also want to emphasize that I know it is not a fix-all...Most people take it and still struggle, so by no means do I mean to minimize what you are experiencing. I imagine you have/ are but JUST IN CASE...It can be huge (in the event that you are not). I have my own issues-- believe me-- so what I am saying really comes from the heart...Not some random person looking down from their tower...

The other thing I might suggest would be routine (but not obsessive) intense physical exercise-- I find that people with ADHD, OCDC, Anxiety, depression and tourettes all do better if routinely working out (as long as that does not trigger some other issue-- as some people with eating disorders cannot do this without triggering that). Even if it is just like an hour of walking outside each day-- that can be huge (because it also helps with vitamin absorption etc, and heat can make you more tired-- and the more worn out you are, the less easy it is for the brain to fall into a loop-- in theory)

Again--I KNOOOOOW how frustrating it is to hear, "have you tried medication" if you have/ are and are still struggling- believe me. I just asked because some people try to handle neurological issues without addressing imbalances etc-- which can be impacted by meds.

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Noodles123, yes I have tried adhd meds for my tics, but they resulted in my legs going numb. There may be other meds i could try but my dad is a conspiracy freak, sooooo, you know what i mean lol. I also bike ride a lot. And your not annoying me, trust me I’m glad to have such nice people on here!

Last edited:

Ekkietiel

Sep 5, 2020
Charleston, SC
Parrots
Charlie (Ekkie), Boop & Pongo (Cockatiels)
Hello! You?re smack dab in the middle of two difficult parts of your life?s journey, being an individual with Tourette?s and owning birds. While I can?t speak to how long you?ve had Tourette?s, I?m sure it never really gets easier. It?s the small victories. I?m sure when you have an episode and your birds aren?t flustered by it - it?ll feel amazing! (Even smaller reactions should be an absolute win!) I do think desensitizing when you?re not having an episode is an outstanding way to help your birds. I wouldn?t recommend trying to mimic your tics. Birds are resilient and adaptable, the more time you give them the better they?ll adapt to their surroundings and situation.

You reaching out and asking this shows me two things; you care about your birds, and you?re willing to put in the work. That?s all you need. I?m a nurse that struggles with depression and anxiety (operating room, so I do not have too much experience with patients struggling with Tourette?s). While no where near what you struggle with, when someone says ?just relax?/?take your meds?, it usually only makes things worse internally for me. If only it were that simple!! It?s a vicious cycle. Never forget your birds do love you and you?re working to make their lives better.

Never forget to celebrate the small victories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ekkietiel: i have never heard someone describe that so well! Your right, those small things make a huge difference, especially since Stormy is a rescue. Will anyone share any bonding tips plz? Ik stuff doesnt work for every bird but all ive found on the web people only talk about how to tame the bird, not continue to bond with it!

Ekkietiel

Sep 5, 2020
Charleston, SC
Parrots
Charlie (Ekkie), Boop & Pongo (Cockatiels)
I?m not sure how long you?ve had your birds but - Bonding takes time. Especially when you?re working with two birds that live together. So have your cage where you spend the bulk of your time. Let them observe you from the safety of their own space. I?m a fan of keeping wings clipped when you?re still developing a relationship (they can?t fly away whenever they fee slightly uncomfortable). Do not force them into unwanted contact. I?m sure others have different options. You can have the cage door open and sit near the cage. Don?t force anything. Let every step be theirs to take. You can try long pieces of millet, hold one end and place the other end near them. Gives them plenty of personal space while working towards closer contact. Take away any mirrors in the cage. Slowly make the treats you offer them shorter/closer to your hand. Eventually the treats will be IN your hand, or they?ll come out of the cage looking for the treat.

I?m positive others can give better advice on bonding methods but that?s what I can think of right now. This community is super helpful, and there?s plenty of older posts you can search thru for advice while you wait for others to answer.

Edit: realizing now that you?re talking about continuing to bond not tame. But honestly. A lot of what I said still stands. Spend time with/around them. If they like to snuggle, snuggle them in your lap. If they prefer to just sit on your shoulder, that?s bonding too!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Hello! You?re smack dab in the middle of two difficult parts of your life?s journey, being an individual with Tourette?s and owning birds. While I can?t speak to how long you?ve had Tourette?s, I?m sure it never really gets easier. It?s the small victories. I?m sure when you have an episode and your birds aren?t flustered by it - it?ll feel amazing! (Even smaller reactions should be an absolute win!) I do think desensitizing when you?re not having an episode is an outstanding way to help your birds. I wouldn?t recommend trying to mimic your tics. Birds are resilient and adaptable, the more time you give them the better they?ll adapt to their surroundings and situation.

You reaching out and asking this shows me two things; you care about your birds, and you?re willing to put in the work. That?s all you need. I?m a nurse that struggles with depression and anxiety (operating room, so I do not have too much experience with patients struggling with Tourette?s). While no where near what you struggle with, when someone says ?just relax?/?take your meds?, it usually only makes things worse internally for me. If only it were that simple!! It?s a vicious cycle. Never forget your birds do love you and you?re working to make their lives better.

Never forget to celebrate the small victories.

Ekkietiel and StormyPica Just to be clear- In case it came off the wrong way, I never was trying to recommend mimicking tics-- a person can recite a mantra or repeat a phrase without mimicking tics (as people often do in prayer or song, or when "counting sheep")-- I just feel like maybe what I said was misinterpreted. I have been through a lot of stuff myself, and while it's not identical to yours, I do feel like I can relate in some respect.

StormyPica- I would also do as much of your own research as you can, as you said, you dad is a "conspiracy freak" and many people's lives have been saved through proper medications etc (and often times, it takes a number of years and trial and error to perfect the combination etc)--- I am not saying that is your case or anything, but try and do your own research (as I am very sure you already are, based upon these posts alone) and please be sure to give medication time, as many take weeks to at least a month to build up in your system. I respect you SOO much for being who you are and posting here--- please know that you have a million people behind you and that no matter how hard things get, you are on the right track as long as you are trying (and you are!!) Also-- know your own power if you are of age-- no matter what your parents think and no matter how hard it may be, you do have the right to control your own medication etc at a certain age (depending on where you live- assuming they haven't filed AND been granted extended guardianship, you don't even have to tell them, legally).

There is a movie that I have in mind that sort of helped me have perspective at times, but it also was very very dark and I am afraid to recommend it, as it definitely could be too much, depending on the issues at hand...

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thank you! When I said my legs went numb, I meant I CANT WALK. Also thank you everyone for being so kind and supportive, I love yall! :60:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Thank you! When I said my legs went numb, I meant I CANT WALK. Also thank you everyone for being so kind and supportive, I love yall! :60:

I know- I just meant that maybe some other combination etc could be different. Hang in there! Glad you are here etc etc

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We work exclusively with a very special group of Amazons that require on-going commitment to developing a strong Trust Bond! In the majority of cases, Humans and Parrots develop a general comfort with each other and as a result when the Ooops happens, they quickly move on and things return to normal.

The vast majority of our Amazons over the decades have been abused as they come to expect it. That stands as a hard wall to developing a Trust Bond as they enjoy the kindness but are always waiting the abuse.

What works for us it that everyday is a new day and we start from the ground-up developing a Trust Bond, anew. Only good things happen when Humans are around, thing.

Long Story Short: Overtime (months - years) they begin to accept that Humans will screw-up (Ooops), but that on the most part, they can trust us. Point being, even when our actions may from time to time not support their Trust, they will allow for the odd event. Work on Trust Bond development everyday.

Example, when riding in the SUV, I work at letting our Amazon know when there is a bad section of road, by saying 'bump'. Well, somethings I will miss-one and even though I say 'Ooops', I will get the stink-eye! But we are quickly on to life's journey.

Work on Trust Bond everyday. With time, they will begin to forgive you. Always say you are sorry and keep loving onwards. Remember that they connect with us on an emotional level and always being 100% honest with them is one of the hidden tools of Trust Bonding.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Hi when I read Noodles first suggestion I thought she meant one thing but then seemed to mean something else - so not sure if this is a new suggestion or just a re-wording of already-suggested...

Anyway. I don't know much about Tourette's. So don't know if this is possible. Myself with allergies I sneeze, often loudly violently unexpectedly. Yet over the years I've trained myself to have a few Very short moments to reach for a tissue, if I'm keeping them handy, mute phone when working, or to exit a room (like in church). NOT THE SAME, I KNOW!

Well by now my birdies know my "signs" of an on-coming sneeze so I don't try to give them any other verbal warning. BUT with other things, I do.

Before crumpling a bottle or bag, or making other sudden noise, i will say "Loud Noise."

IF a noise occurs Unexpectedly & I was not able to warn them, i will Apologize, and say, "oh, I'm sorrrryyy, I'm sooo soorrryy for the Loud Noise, ooohhh," ETC.

Idea being - I use the words "Loud Noise" as an Alert to them, that something UNexpected and startling Might be about to occur. And/or as a calming-cue afterwards to let them know everything is still "safe" despite them having been startled.

Is there something you can do like that - if you feel a tic / tics about to occur - some statement or sound you can always say, or motion you can always make - before it's gonna start? IF so, the budgies will learn it's a warning sign for something possibly unexpected / possible scary.

Also then, IF you don't manage to warn them first, you can use that word / phrase / motion afterward while you apologize to them soothingly and explain that "...it's alllllrrighht, it's oookkaaay..."

Also, even if giving them a warning-cue does Not work for you, making a habit of always giving a soothing apology afterwards, especially if you can add certain cue words to that, will help them recover more quickly. For example, if you always say "oh, it's okay, it was only tourette, it's okay" ...or, whatever words work for you!... but, in a Calming Soothing voice, after a while they will learn to at least calm down quickly afterwards.

The after-soothing is probably fairly important. My Jefferson-budgie panics quite easily, but he is willing to be soothed when I gently tell him "it's oookkaay." Without that, he will stay in a state of panic for a long time. So even if your specific tics change, or are long-lasting, it is important to reassure the birds afterwards. Over time, this can help them to understand to be less alarmed even with new variations.

Last edited:

Most Reactions