Tracking Leg Band Numbers?

CCollie

Dec 23, 2019
Hello,

I adopted my first eclectus hen earlier last year, and I was given very limited information from her previous owner. I want to learn where she came from, and exactly what subspecies she is, as well as if her age is accurate. So to start, I'm trying to learn where she came from, but I'm having a difficult time tracking her band ID.

Her band reads: SSD FL 14 388

If anyone can point me in the right direction or help me in any way, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks all!

Ccollie and Ruby

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your Ekkie! Bands can be a mystery depending on year and location of birth. Hopefully members with expertise will advise. If you don't receive sufficient comments, please consider posting a new topic in the Questions and Answers forum. If you do, just change the wording a bit to avoid prohibited "double posting!"

Posting pictures may allow us to help identify her subspecies.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh dear... I went through the same thing with my first Ekkie, Patches. There are a few databases out there, but they're grossly incomplete. There are no standards for what is on the bands, so it's difficult at best. Common format though, first letters may be initials of the breeder, or some type of relation to them, second, in your case, fl, typically the state, ie, Florida, and lastly, could be date and/or clutch/chick number, or just about anything the breeder chose to identify the bird from others they produced.

I might start with searching for breeders in Florida with the initials SSD, and think in terms of 2014 if that sounds like an approximate age for your bird. My personal search for info on Patches got me as far as him coming from PetSmart, who had terrible sources for their animals, so no way to get any further than that.

Best of luck in your search, and I hope you find good info! Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Andyland

Mar 8, 2020
New Jersey
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
I just purchased a Blue Fronted Amazon from someone on Craigslist the seller said she didn't have the bird long and lived in a condo so had to get rid of her because of the noise. She told me she purchased the bird in Florida and was told it was a female and that she was 10 years old.I am wondering if there is anyway to confirm the age ( and sex) from the numbers on the leg band. It is a rounded open leg band and has 3 letters an 3 numbers on it. Any help would be appreciated

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Leg bands are always Unique to the breeders decisions, so there is no way of telling who they came from, and usually breeders just whack on a leg band without knowing what the numbers are
Almost impossible to track some down, unless they are personalised
Cheers
Noah Till

Andyland

Mar 8, 2020
New Jersey
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
Yes but this is an open leg band which looks as if it's imported from out of the USA so if I could just find out when it it was brought to the US I would get an idea of its age.

Most Reactions