Training Advice

BirdieDad

Feb 2, 2020
Does anyone have any advice on how to train my Scarlet (2 years old) to only fly to my hand? She flies to my hand whenever I hold it out, but she also loves to fly unannounced to my shoulders or back and nip ears/necks/cheeks, usually when she wants to play or when she wants your food. I tried shaking my shoulders and saying firmly, "No shoulders", and rewarding flights to the hand with treats and the like. However, she now thinks that is a new game and holds onto my shirt while making noises that sound like laughter while I shake my shoulders. It is like a Mac rodeo of sorts. Any advice? Thank you.....she also likes to sleep in my hand but that is okay with me...lol

26235d1621671397-training-advice-img_6416.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6416.jpg
    IMG_6416.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 209
Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Continue to assure a strong bond relationship.

One of the dangers of training is rewarding activities that we do not want. You're guess that she sees your shaking as a game is highly likely.

As you continue to reward a step-up response, add stepping-off your shoulder. The goal now is to take her to a perch or other near by perching place and work on Step-off and Stay training. Although it is not directed to stopping her choosing to fly to you because she wants to. It is designed to add control from a distance with does support your want.

Always remember that 'unintended' training is real and you need to take care not to support unwanted behavior by accident.

OP
B

BirdieDad

Feb 2, 2020
Thank you. I will start trying that, initially I feared that I would train her to fly to my shoulder just to step down and get the treat. Perhaps I was looking at it wrong and should see it as a first step to step off and stay.

Most Reactions

Latest posts