Training frequency and duration

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Sorry guys, I am still new to this. I just heard that a training session should be 2 to 5 minutes long. I go over that. I think my birds do better with short sessions like that, but I have the following questions.

If a session is 2 to 5 minutes, how many sessions can you have within a training period?
How long of a break between training sessions?

I just don't understand how this is organized. I have two smart birds working with an airhead LOL!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I think it's fine to go over 5 minutes as long as you see your bird isn't getting overwhelmed or tired of training. With mine I do a trick training session first (2-4 minutes) then right after a flight training session (3 or so minutes), I do both of these once a day maybe 2 hours after breakfast and mine seem happy to do it.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I think it's fine to go over 5 minutes as long as you see your bird isn't getting overwhelmed or tired of training. With mine I do a trick training session first (2-4 minutes) then right after a flight training session (3 or so minutes), I do both of these once a day maybe 2 hours after breakfast and mine seem happy to do it.
So you do the first session before their breakfast and then another two hours after they eat breakfast?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So you do the first session before their breakfast and then another two hours after they eat breakfast?
Oh sorry didn't seem very clear when I read it again! I do both together two hours after breakfast, no break in between those two sessions.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty's session last max 19 minutes ( the length of some of his trick training videos). But within that period we do a variety of the 40+ tricks he knows plus any new ones we are working on. I try to vary it every night. We train in the evening , after he has had his dinner, around 8:45 to a bit past 9. He is very eager most nights to train and he learns new tricks scary fast at this point, like in 1 or 2 tries. Once your parrot understands what training is all about (learning new things), they improve quickly and become eager to learn.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
How many days a week do you guys train. Right now I just don’t have the drive to train five days a week.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
How many days a week do you guys train. Right now I just don’t have the drive to train five days a week.
I train around 5 or so times a week usually but maybe more if I have time.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Can it be less then five times ?
Oh sure a few times a week is fine just do it often enough to where the tricks are remembered and maintained by the birds

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty and I train at least 6 days a week. In fact he gets pissed off ( read bitey) if I skip a day and don;t make a fuss over him for skipping it. Parrots love routine and often are upset if that routine is not held. Not like feeding has to be at 9:15 sharp but generally around the same time they expect the routine to be kept to. Training sessions don;t have to be long, our last 10-15 minutes, and who can't devote that little time to a 1 on 1 with their parrot?

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Yeah, I think the issue I am having is that I have had these guys for 18 years. I was never consistent with training on a regular basis. I am really slow at this. I have only trained them twice this week.

Their favorite activity to do is showering and going outside LOL!

Most Reactions

Latest posts