Training Question

Woody’sMom

Oct 19, 2021
Parrots
Male Budgie
Hi all, Woody, my budgie doesn’t want to go back into his cage at night. He has started to fly off my finger when he realizes we are headed to that area! It takes about 5-6 trips and is becoming frustrating lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It would be so nice if he would listen to me and just stay put!

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
Have you tried using target training to get him into the cage? Or just luring him with millet?

OP
Woody’sMom

Woody’sMom

Oct 19, 2021
Parrots
Male Budgie
Have you tried using target training to get him into the cage? Or just luring him with millet?
Millet doesn’t impress this little guy lol. I haven’t heard of target training but will def look into it! He’s out of his cage for most of the day. He seems to think he should be able to sleep outside of it as well.

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
Millet doesn’t impress this little guy lol. I haven’t heard of target training but will def look into it! He’s out of his cage for most of the day. He seems to think he should be able to sleep outside of it as well.
Yes, definitely look into it. It's super easy to teach your bird, and it's really useful.
If he doesn't like millet, then maybe see if there is another treat that he really likes.

OP
Woody’sMom

Woody’sMom

Oct 19, 2021
Parrots
Male Budgie
Yes, definitely look into it. It's super easy to teach your bird, and it's really useful.
If he doesn't like millet, then maybe see if there is another treat that he really likes.
Thank you for the advice! Not to say he doesn’t love millet but it doesn’t motivate him. He is obsessed with my phone maybe I’ll use that… I think it’s in part the breed and also that I spoil him but he seems to think he owns the joint!!

Most Reactions