Travel Cage Concerns

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Hi to all…and once again I need help and opinions from the members here.
I recently posted a question regarding Housing Problem that concerned me and my Conure moving to a new home.
Unfortunately a new problem has arrived that am hoping I can get help with. I am making settlement on my house (that I am leaving) Wednesday 11/10. I was supposed to move into new location maybe a week later. However, some circumstances have arrived and now I may not be able to move in for a month.

My Conure, as of 11/10, will be in his travel cage since I am forced to store his home cage in storage. I will be staying with a family member for this month during the transition.
The cage size is 20x12x15.

My concern is leaving my Conure in a travel cage for a month! The longest he has been in that type of cage was for a week while I took him on vacation. I am concerned having him in there for (possibly) an entire month.
It is impossible for me to have his large cage where I am temporarily staying. Plus, the family member has two cats that are a bit on the wild side so the only freedom my guy could have is us locked in a bedroom. But am very concerned for him staying in that small cage for maybe a month.

Attachments

• 8F18D0D1-D9B0-48E9-A67E-C97F6631FEB7.jpeg
    8F18D0D1-D9B0-48E9-A67E-C97F6631FEB7.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 86

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hi to all…and once again I need help and opinions from the members here.
I recently posted a question regarding Housing Problem that concerned me and my Conure moving to a new home.
Unfortunately a new problem has arrived that am hoping I can get help with. I am making settlement on my house (that I am leaving) Wednesday 11/10. I was supposed to move into new location maybe a week later. However, some circumstances have arrived and now I may not be able to move in for a month.

My Conure, as of 11/10, will be in his travel cage since I am forced to store his home cage in storage. I will be staying with a family member for this month during the transition.
The cage size is 20x12x15.

My concern is leaving my Conure in a travel cage for a month! The longest he has been in that type of cage was for a week while I took him on vacation. I am concerned having him in there for (possibly) an entire month.
It is impossible for me to have his large cage where I am temporarily staying. Plus, the family member has two cats that are a bit on the wild side so the only freedom my guy could have is us locked in a bedroom. But am very concerned for him staying in that small cage for maybe a month.
Let him out in the locked room, a lot, and care for him as normal. He should be okay for a month, but be sure to keep him entertained all the time. And put natural perches in the travel cage instead of dowels, because that much time on dowel perches will be bad for his feet.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Spend a lot of time in your room with the door locked!
Agree a month is quite a long time, but seems no equitable solution other than provide plenty of "out" time in safe area as possible. This seems best advice!

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Let him out in the locked room, a lot, and care for him as normal. He should be okay for a month, but be sure to keep him entertained all the time. And put natural perches in the travel cage instead of dowels, because that much time on dowel perches will be bad for his feet.
Yep. That photo was just a stock photo off the net. His cage has natural and rope Perches with toys. I rarely use dowels.

Most Reactions