Travel carrier for GCC and Sun Conure?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
I'm looking into a small travel carrier for my GCC and Sun Conure. Currently my GCC has traveled, to the vet and back, in a small plastic cat carrier. However, there isn't enough room between the top of the carrier and the spot where I could place a perch. So when traveling he clings to the holes on the side of the carrier. I'm afraid that the odd angle of holding on to the side and starring out, his body vertical, is uncomfortable and dangerous. Though the carrier is 100% safe, I'd like something with a perch.

Prevue Pet sells one but the bar spacing is 3/4 inch and I'm afraid it's too wide of spacing. My vet is about 30 minutes from my house so it's not that long of a travel, but still...

What do you all recommend/use?:):)

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
My two favs:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Perch-Clear-View-Carrier-Travel/dp/B002EO1OIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432307305&sr=8-1&keywords=bird+carrier"]The Perch and Go[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Celltei-Pak-o-Bird-color-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0048WJSXQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1432307257&sr=8-6&keywords=pak-o-bird"]The Pak-O-Bird Backpack[/ame]

I have both of these and prefer the clear Perch and Go for expeditions to the store or the vet or a friend's house since I can see him clearly and he can see me clearly. The Pak-O-Bird is great if you are going to be doing more active things with your bird where you need your hands free. Both serve their own purposes. Hope this helps!

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I have the pakobird and love it. I am able to take Kyo for walks safely :)

Rockford

Mar 2, 2014
USA
There's plenty of room for a perch lower in the carrier.
For my Amazon, I use a cat carrier with a dowel across the width about about half way up the bottom section held in place with a screw on each side.
You could also drill (or otherwise make) a small hole and put in a cholla, manzanita or dragonwood perch, or even a couple of these perches. You could drill two small holes and put in a rope perch. You could put in a T perch using a flathead screw through the bottom of the carrier or hang a T perch upside down from the top of the carrier.

For my smaller birds I use something like this except mine has a square top.
I put in a wooden perch near the top of the plastic part with a screw on each side the same way i added a perch to the cat carrier.
51o2u9GEfIL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Carrier-Small-Animals-Birds/dp/B0002DIZF2/ref=pd_sbs_199_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CB9ZDZDZ5ETEB703ZB3"]Amazon.com : Penn-Plax Carrier for Small Animals & Med. Birds - Medium : Small Animal Houses : Pet Supplies[/ame]

ChollaPerches.jpg

SISAL%20PERCHES.jpg

399x325.jpg

Last edited:

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
I use Cat carriers... and drill a hole in the back of it. Then I install a long wooden perch and it works perfectly.

One for the budgies and one for Porter.

Most Reactions