Travel carrier for sleeping

Tinabell

Jun 9, 2019
Media
Oregon
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon. Born 4-2-19
Does anyone use a travel carrier for their cag for sleeping in at night ? I have 4 children and it seems every room is occupied and noisy up until around 10:30 or so . I was going ti put her in a travel carrier in my big walk in closet only for her 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep . Is this ok ? The cages travel carrier by Prevue Hendrix is 19x 15x 18 tall .

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Does anyone use a travel carrier for their cag for sleeping in at night ? I have 4 children and it seems every room is occupied and noisy up until around 10:30 or so . I was going ti put her in a travel carrier in my big walk in closet only for her 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep . Is this ok ? The cages travel carrier by Prevue Hendrix is 19x 15x 18 tall .
Sounds fine to me, I know a fair number of people do it. Just make sure she ha enough ventilation.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
My kids do this for their cockatiel in their bedroom-size walk in closet, with an air purifier and fan on low and the door open. It's been working really well for them.

Botsari

Nov 1, 2022
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Parrots
African Greys
In my experience with my greys they HATE not being able to see out, and hence get very agitated in anything like a cat carrier. It is possible they could be trained out of this, but I think this might be more common in especially intelligent bird species. If they can still hear stuff going on, even in the closet, then they will want to SEE what is going on to reassure themselves. The travel cage my birds put up with for extended periods of time is this one:

But it is a bit of a catch 22 - you want it to be quiet and dark for them to sleep, but if there are disturbances they can still hear a "cat carrier" type cage might end up increasing their excitement/enervation.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
It would seem to be helpful for things like night frights as they wouldn’t be able to move or fall far. But I don’t think it’s the best move. Even while sleeping Greys know their surroundings and prefer some space and line of sight to their environment.

Personally I’d never put my bird in a closet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts