Travel / Evacuation with your Parrot

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Spring is well underway in North America and as a result Spring Storms have already caused damage, flooding, forced evacuation, and loss of life. In addition, Spring Break has concluded and Summer Vacations are common discussions. Mixed within all of this is the most common time of year, Summer, for individuals and families to relocate.

So what, this is a Parrot Forum and clearly this subject has little or nothing to do with 'General Parrot Information!' Or, does it? Whether travel for pleasure, relocation or forced evacuation - what is needed in advance, during travel and after arrival has a great affect on not only us, but heavily on our parrots. After all, not all parrots like to travel, in fact most do not.

The early days of Fall 2015 had both the Canadian and United States Governments ready to 100% shutdown transport of ALL Birds, regardless of classification. The Good News: Avian Flu did not reappear from the Over-Summer Zones in the far North. Point being, the plan was ready to be put in place!

Knowing and being prepared is important and even more so depending on where you live. In some Zones simply having things near each other maybe good enough. Other areas may require that a prepackaged 'Go Bag' ready at a minutes notice, Example: Areas that are prone to rapidly moving wild fires, etc...

Domestic Health Certificates: Both Canadians and Americans freely travel around their respected Countries with little to no consideration regarding their Pets traveling with them. However, things change when they cross between the two Countries. Knowing what is need before hand is very important to assure a smooth crossing. Lesser known by the traveling public is that different States have different requirements and limitations as to what can be brought into their respected State. So, it becomes very important to know what those restrictions are, in some cases four to six months in advance. So, if you are traveling with in the USA, visit the American Veterinary Medical Association's Web Site targeting: Animal Travel and Transport, Pet Birds. This site will also provide additional sites for information regarding specific States and the US Government. Some travel may require testing several months prior to and repeated just prior to travel to obtain a Domestic Health Certificates.

The vast majority of these requirements commonly do not involve Pet Parrots. However, there are States that will not allow certain species to enter! In addition; State, Regional or National over-sight may quickly set restrictions into place. KNOW BEFORE YOU GO!

Evacuations: If you have pets (any pets) and a Local, State, or National Evacuation is declared: LEAVE EARLY! The earlier you leave, the greater the likelihood of finding shelter that will accept your pet(s) will be! Once the roads become flooded with the general public the more problems you will be faced with - up to and including being forced to leave your pet(s) behind! Once the General Emergency is declared, the rights of your pets and you taking them with you ends, regardless of what you may have read. At that point, they are moving the greatest number of Humans.

Know before you go!

Be at prepared to leave your home with in one hour, minimum!

Leave early!

Last edited:

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
Excellent information. Being from Cali we have our fair share of issues mud slides, earthquakes, wildfires etc. it is so very important to have an action plan, emergency supplies (including back up meds, important documents etc.), know where you're going and the best way to get there.

Don't forget to include your pets in your emergency supplies, so many people are prepared for the humans in the family but neglect to have included the essentials for their furry & feathered family members (dry food items, toys, meds, feeding bowls, toys, leashes, grooming items etc).

For me being in this area with earthquakes, unpredictable disasters etc. I really considered this with my cage placement (away from windows/falling objects), earthquake strapping Gracie's cage to prevent fall over during shakes, nothing to fall down & injure her in her play areas.

I know a lot of county/state web sites also list emergency shelters that take pets, requirements and so on but you are dead on the earlier you get out the better for sure but being prepared if you can't get out as a back up is really important too.

Excellent post!

OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I elected to not get into specifics, since they vary do greatly across North America. The goal is more to alert those in less active Zones that when things go bad, which at some point they will, that having a plan and knowing what they need is important.

The sad reality is; the average home has never had a discussion of what to do if there was a fire in their home. Thinking about an evacuation, a rare event. However, every week a multi-block area of small to large cities, towns, etc... are evacuated because of gas leaks, sink holes, flooding, fires, train derailments, etc...

Test Question: How long would it take to get my parrot(s), cage(s), food(s) medical needs, cage support item(s) out of your home and into Auto? Add to that time table, what is needed for each Human? If you have never worked though that process - far more than an hour!

Last edited:
OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
At the time I was concepting this Thread, I was unaware of the "Devastating Wildfires in Canada - Off Topic Forum", today.

A special thanks to Terry57 and the others in their area for offering a place for peoples pets.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Wonderful information and tips ...Thank you for sharing .

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Excellent and very timely topic!!!

I resolved long ago to have an older van outfitted as evac vehicle. The hazards in SoCal include fire, earthquake, and in my case 15 mile separation from a deactivated nuclear power plant. (there will be buried nuclear waste for a very long time) Used it once about 8 years ago for a mandatory fire evacuation that lasted 5 days. Thankfully a friend opened her home to my family and about 14 birds, 2 dogs, and a cat. They all fit in the van, but it would have been challenging if they had no larger refuge during that time.

Have a carrier + food/water bowls for each, food, millet, bottled water, newspapers, towels, etc. If necessary, I could be out the door within 1 hour, though the most critical event would be a raging fast-moving fire at night without electrical power.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
This is a fantastic thread, thank you for posting!
We have pillowcases ready in case of a sudden evacuation, as we could quickly get the birds out in them.

Most Reactions