Treating possible infection. Can I treat the whole flock?

HannahandSunny

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Hi everyone,
As you know Peter was under the weather a while back. He has bounced back brilliant and back to his normal self. However now Cosmo seems to be not quite right, The past couple of days I have noticed him being a lot quieter, closing his eyes a lot. He isn’t puffed up and he is flying very well. Different symptoms to Peter.
Sprinkles has been going through a tough moult for a few weeks now, but is doing okay.
The 2 ‘Tiels are not showing any sign of illness. And Wattle also appears okay.
But I’m worried there is an underlying infection in Cosmo. As he is still flying, and appears much brighter in the afternoons (chatting etc) I’d really prefer not to stress him by taking him out of the aviary. So my question is can I use the medication ‘Sulfa 3’ in their water. It treats chlamydia and other common bird infections. Will it harm the other birds who don’t appear sick? My vet did say a few weeks ago when Peter was ill that I could treat the whole aviary, though she never ended up prescribing me medication so I’m not sure what she would have given me compared to the Sulfa 3 which I have purchased.
13B3C980-9A56-4996-AA4F-C378DF17DC46.jpeg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Neptune blue quaker (MIA), Ta-dah GCC female, Penny quaker female, Pikachu quaker female!!, Phoebe quaker female, 3 parakeets males, Burt The Burd GCC female RIP
Chlamydia can effect different systems and causes different symptoms in birds.

I would treat them all, symptoms or no.
You may remember i had too, some didn't have symptoms, tho all but 1 did have weight loss

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Chlamydia can effect different systems and causes different symptoms in birds.

I would treat them all, symptoms or no.
You may remember i had too, some didn't have symptoms, tho all but 1 did have weight loss
Thank you so much!
I’m glad to hear it’s okay to treat them all. As I do feel something is underlying in the aviary amongst all the birds.
I took their water away about 5 hours ago and it’s a very hot day.. poor buggers! Putting it back in now with the antibiotic medication.. hopefully they will go straight for a drink. I will treat for 5 to 7 days as stated on the bottle.
Thanks again

Scott

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wish I had advice Hannah, but unfamiliar with whole-flock water soluble treatments. Wonder if vet will prescribe or recommend best meds?

Most Reactions